2012 Oscar Nominations

Tools    

This morning The Artist received ten Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Cinematography and Best Original Score. Shortly thereafter, somewhere in the Los Angeles dawn, Kim Novak kicks one of her many cats and unleashes a torrent of profanities at the house plants.
Looking forward to how the Vertigo score is used in that film. Pissed that Girl With the Dragon Tattoo didn't get a Best Picture nom, though... the Academy really hates Fincher.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Academy hates Fincher? The Social Network was nominated in lots of categories last year, including best picture and director. It might have more to do with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo being a remake.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It might have more to do with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo being a remake.
and all that anal sex. Fincher himself even joked that the film had too much anal sex to win Best Picture.

So why couldn't they trow in a tenth best picture nod? I'm sure they could have thrown a bone to comedy for Bridesmaids or 50/50 without having their reputation tarnished.

Also, this was one of the weakest years for films in a long time. I have little desire to even watch half those nominated films. The only best picture noms I'm interested in seeing are The Descendants, Moneyball, and The Tree of Life (the last one simply out of curiosity, not because I think I'll like it). I may watch Midnight in Paris and The Artist if they're on Netflix streaming one day, but I won't make an effort.

They introduced new rules; there's a minimum of five nominees, but you have to be on at least 5% of the ballots (if memory serves) to get a nomination. It wasn't about preserving reputation, the decision was made collectively based on the very small number of people who had any other films on their ballot.

It might have more to do with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo being a remake.
That didn't harm The Departed.

Wow. Pixar without a nominee in Best Animated Feature. Third time that's happened, but every other time it was because they hadn't released anything.
Cars 2 was very weak for Pixar, so not surprised. I hope A Cat in Paris wins.

They introduced new rules; there's a minimum of five nominees, but you have to be on at least 5% of the ballots (if memory serves) to get a nomination. It wasn't about preserving reputation, the decision was made collectively based on the very small number of people who had any other films on their ballot.
See? Even the Academy knows it was a crappy year for films.

Don't forget about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, either.
That I'll give you. But The Social Network should have won much more than it did last year, and Zodiac was completely ignored.

Semper Fooey
Nominating The Tree of Life for Best Picture and director is a joke.

I agree. Terrible movie. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is much, much better, in my ever so humble opinion.

I haven't seen it but it is getting Great reviews here in Australia

I saw the Decendants yesterday and wasn't tatt born away by it, liker it but i was expecting more. Really had to force myself to watch all of tree of life

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
BEST PICTURE
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse

BEST DIRECTOR
Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life
Alexander Payne, The Descendants
Martin Scorsese, Hugo

BEST ACTOR
Demián Bichir, A Better Life
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Durjardin, The Artist
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

BEST ACTRESS
Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis, The Help
Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn
Jonah Hill, Moneyball
Nick Nolte, Warrior
Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer, The Help

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Margin Call
Midnight in Paris
A Separation

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Descendants
Hugo
The Ides of March
Moneyball
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Artist
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
The Tree of Life
War Horse

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
A Cat in Paris
Chico & Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Hell and Back Again
If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Pina
Undefeated

I haven't seen it but it is getting Great reviews here in Australia

I saw the Decendants yesterday and wasn't tatt born away by it, liker it but i was expecting more. Really had to force myself to watch all of tree of life
Um...i watched it,it's just a regular movie,nothing special.I have seen the tree of life,i couldn't understand nothing from that movie..

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Wow. Pixar without a nominee in Best Animated Feature. Third time that's happened, but every other time it was because they hadn't released anything.
I'm more surprised Rio didnt get nomm'ed. Then again i suppose they didnt ask 6-10 year olds what was the best of the bunch.