Female directors?

Tools    

Any opinions on why is there such a scarcity of female directors? I remember having this discussion in a media class a long time ago and there was nearly a few fists thrown. We had a lot of aspiring 'female directors' in that class.

All opinions welcome.

-----
Found this little article, so I thought I'd post it with this thread.

10 Films you didn't know were directed by a woman.
10. Real Genius (1985)

The Director: Martha Coolidge

The Pitch: In addition to creating Introducing Dorthy Dandridge and Valley Girl, Martha Coolidge is the director who helped introduce Val Kilmer to the world by delivering a highly quotable comedy that doubles as a demonstration of gravity. Plus, Coolidge also acted as the President of the Directors Guild when she wasn’t blowing up houses with popcorn.

9. Titus (1999)

The Director: Julie Taymor

The Pitch: Roman orgies and people getting spoons shoved down their throats. It’s always nice to see something brutal, violent and sexual come from the mind of a female director, and working with Sir Anthony Hopkins on your first directing job takes brass buttons.

8. American Psycho (2000)

The Director: Mary Harron

The Pitch: For those of you who thought it took a man’s touch to have Christian Bale murder some prostitutes with a chainsaw, it took Mary Harron’s sensibilities to bring the sheer endless joy of a serial killing megalomaniac to life. Harron also wrote the screenplay, keeping the dark tone of Bret Easton Ellis’s novel very much in tact. Sort of makes the arguments that the film is sexist seem silly doesn’t it?

7. Point Break (1991)

The Director: Kathryn Bigelow

The Pitch: I realize that everyone knows The Hurt Locker was directed by Kathryn Bigelow because we’ve been shouting its praises from the rooftops, but Bigelow busted out the action early on with what may very well be the greatest movie featuring surfing robbers in presidential masks. For context, Point Break is prominently homaged right next to action auteur Michael “Awesome” Bay’s Bad Boys II in Hot Fuzz.

6. Billy Madison (1995)

The Director: Tamra Davis

The Pitch: The concept of showing some boobies for every right answer might have come from Adam Sandler’s mind, but it took a woman to shoot it. Tamra Davis delivered what might have been the most random comedy of the decade alongside her other flicks – CB4 and Half Baked. It’s clear that she was plugged into the SNL mentality of the time, and has created more than enough good movies for us to forgive Crossroads. Almost.

5. Hideout in the Sun (1960)

The Director: Doris Wishman

The Pitch: Oh, exploitation. Has a better plot ever existed than two robbers taking a girl hostage and heading back to her nudist camp to hide out? No. That’s the short answer. This film should be championed for the sheer amount of casual nudity involved no matter who was at the wheel. Doris Wishman wrote and co-directed this camp masterpiece and would go on to gain a cult following as a sexploitation filmmaker gaining notoriety as a female Ed Wood (while Ed Wood would gain appropriate notoriety as a male Doris Wishman).

4. Wayne’s World (1992)

The Director: Penelope Spheeris

The Pitch: Party time. Excellent. Coming off of the fantastic musical documentary The Decline of Western Civilization, Spheeris was tapped to direct the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey jump from sketch comedy to feature length stardom and would go on to direct Black Sheep for two other SNL alums. As such, she’s also directly responsible for us banging our heads like idiots every time Bohemian Rhapsody comes on in the car.

3. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)

The Director: Amy Heckerling

The Pitch: Widely regarded as one of the best high school movies of all time, and one of the funniest coming-of-age comedies, Fast Times was the starting point for more than a handful of famous actors, actresses and a few Academy Award winners. Cameron Crowe gets due credit for writing the script, but you should also be thanking Amy Heckerling when you order a pizza in class.

2. Big (1988)

The Director: Penny Marshall

The Pitch: Leave it to a woman to create one of the movies that resonates the most with men of every age. And a movie that technically includes some hot statutory rape. He was only 13, Elizabeth Perkins! Marshall is also the mind who brought us Tom Hanks Peeing For a Really Long Time aka A League of Their Own.

1. Pet Sematary (1989)

The Director: Mary Lambert

The Pitch: For some reason, with a shortage of female directors in the movie business, there’s a downright drought of them in the horror world. Angela Bettis is a notable example, but Mary Lambert shines through for delivering the fantastically creepy Pet Sematary which also stands as one of the rare examples where a child is made terrifying.

Nicola Collins - The End -British Gangsters
She is a brilliant director and in my humble opinion one to watch out for.

I just saw Isabel Coixet's latest film. I didn't much care for it but I've liked her past work.

There ARE good women directors out there just not as many really well known ones as there are male ones.

Semper Fooey
My favorite was Elaine May, but she was completely nuts, constantly going over budget by taking too much time. But she made two real funny movies, A New Leaf, which she disowned because they cut it up pretty bad and eliminated two murders committed by Walter Matthau, but it's still funny, and The Heartbreak Kid, far better than the awful Ben Stiller remake. She also directed Ishtar, so she had her bad days.

I really liked Ishtar when I saw it a couple years ago. I'll have to check out those other two.

Two more I like a lot.

Lina Wertmuller: The Seduction of Mimi, Seven Beauties, Love and Anarchy

Gillian Armstrong: High Tide, Oscar and Lucinda, My Brilliant Career

The power behind the cinematic propaganda of the most terrifying paternal authority of all time was a woman: Leni Riefenstahl. How deliciously ironic.

BANNED
Sorry to go a tad off topic, but whle we're on the subject of women directors, congratulations to Sofia Coppola for her Venice award.

Sofia Coppola followed in her father’s footsteps by winning a Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, and said she hoped the prize would come as a boost to small-scale movies not shot in 3-D.

Coppola, 39, collected the top trophy on Sept. 11 with “Somewhere,” the story of a jaded actor living it up in a Hollywood hotel. Her father Francis Ford Coppola had secured a career Golden Lion in Venice in 1992.

Other U.S. contenders failed to impress jury head Quentin Tarantino and his panel. They included “Black Swan” by Darren Aronofsky, and “Barney’s Version” starring Dustin Hoffman.

“She won it fair and square in a complete unanimous vote,” said Tarantino after the red-carpet ceremony. “We were enchanted by the movie when we first saw it, but it proceeded to get better and better and better as the days went on.”

and said she was stylistically inspired by the 1960s French New Wave, particularly Jean-Luc Godard. She welcomed the award.

“It’s going to help our film,” she said, “and also encourage small personal films to be seen -- not in 3D.”

“Somewhere” is the tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Johnny Marco (Stephen Dorff), a Ferrari-driving star who runs from any kind of emotional bond. Occasionally, he summons pole dancers to his Chateau Marmont suite, where they appear in pairs and matching outfits.

When his 11-year-old Chloe (Elle Fanning) unexpectedly stays over, she gives him the taste of another life, and makes him question his own.

Natalie Portman

Among the more than 20 other entries, Aronofsky (who won the Golden Lion in 2008 for “The Wrestler” with Mickey Rourke) divided opinion with “Black Swan,” a horror movie set in the ballet world and starring Natalie Portman. Its only win: the best young talent prize for supporting actress Mila Kunis.

Hoffman played the part of a TV producer and hockey fanatic in “Barney’s Version,” directed by Richard J. Lewis.

Julian Schnabel, who snagged four Academy Award nominations for his 2007 “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly,” won nothing with “Miral,” inspired by the life of his orphaned Palestinian girlfriend Rula Jebreal.

Instead, a Spanish and a Polish director scooped most of the major awards. Spain’s Alex de la Iglesia won the best- director and best-script trophies for “Balada Triste de Trompeta” (“A Sad Trumpet Ballad”), the plight of a pair of clowns during the Spanish Civil War.

U.S. Military

Poland’s Jerzy Skolimowski bagged the Special Jury Prize for “Essential Killing” -- about a man captured by the U.S. military in Afghanistan who escapes from a secret European detention center to a forest. The movie’s male lead Vincent Gallo took the best-actor award.

Honored as best actress was Ariane Labed for the Greek coming-of-age picture “Attenberg” (by Athina Rachel Tsangari).

Festival-goers on Venice’s Lido island this year found the venue turned into a building site, as organizers overhauled the complex built by Mussolini to turn it into a year-round convention hub like that in Cannes.

The Hotel des Bains, the setting of Luchino Visconti’s 1971 “Death in Venice,” was also covered in scaffolding. The sprawling seafront edifice is being converted into a luxury apartment block.

Still, the Lido, with its villas and swaying palm trees, wasn’t short on glamour. Catherine Deneuve and Benand Casey Affleck were three of the many stars who stepped off their speedboats and onto the red carpet.
Though I hear there's some debacle going on about Tarrintino's performance as Jury head.

Favoritism Charges Follow Tarantino Venice Awards

VENICE (Reuters) - Jury president Quentin Tarantino faced charges of favoritism Sunday after he handed out two major awards at Venice film festival to his friends, including best picture to his ex partner Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere."

Another friend and mentor Monte Hellman landed a special career award, and Spanish entry "Balada Triste de Trompeta," which picked up the director and screenplay prizes for Alex de la Iglesia, was widely panned by critics on the Lido waterfront.

Add to that a best actor award for Vincent Gallo in "Essential Killing," during which he uttered not a single word, and no prizes for Italian films, and Saturday's closing ceremony was one of the most unpredictable in years.

"The (jury) presidency of Quentin Tarantino runs the risk of being the most obvious conflict of interest, given that Somewhere and (Hellman's) Road to Nowhere seemed charming and intriguing but nothing more," wrote Paolo Mereghetti, veteran film critic for Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Sunday.

Tarantino was quick to reject suggestions of favoritism.

"I wasn't going to let anything like that affect me at all," he told reporters after the awards were announced at the end of the September 1-11 festival. "I was just going to literally respond to the film. There was no me steering any direction."

Somewhere, which won the prestigious Golden Lion best picture award, is an insider's look at the life of a Hollywood actor who becomes numb to life through drink, drugs and a string of one-night stands, and stars Stephen Dorff as Johnny Marco.

His days are divided between five-stars hotels, Ferraris and blonde pin-ups, but also loneliness, tiresome media attention and boredom, and he is finally faced with the question of where a life so enviable on the surface is ultimately heading.

The daughter of director Francis Ford Coppola partly based the film on her own experiences as a young girl following her famous father from one hotel to another.

All three of Sofia Coppola's films have been top notch. Lost in Translation is basically a masterpiece.

Semper Fooey
Good for her. Anything that keeps her from acting again is a good thing.

I love Elle Fanning as much as I do her big sis so I for one can't wait for Somewhere.

Anyways....

I hate to keep bringing up Emily Hagins but she is not only a female director but she is also only 17! (she turns 18 next month)

I can't believe no one has yet mentioned the best of the bunch--Ida Lupino, a damn good movie director who just happened to be female--for a time in the 1940s the only female in that profession. She didn't sit around worrying about prejudice and the injustice of life. When a male director had a heart-attack, she just stepped in and finished the picture, creating a second career as a director on top of a successful career as an actor.

Look at her film noir classic, The Hitchhiker. She was one of the best directors of either sex.

Women can't direct.

BANNED
Women can't direct.
Apparently the movies listed in this thread are fictional since "women can't direct".

Who won the 2010 Academy Award for outstanding achievement in the field of directing?

True, but we all know that Point Break is a much better film. Actually, Near Dark is better film. So she was decorated for her third best effort (unless you prefer Blue Steel or Strange Days, then it's even lower.) Sounds about right for the Academy.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Why don't you put all your rankings out their buck naked, one director or actor at a time, now that you've started this one. Go ahead and rank Bigelow's flicks. This is as good a thread as any to pop your cherry.