Alien or Aliens?

Tools    

Scratch what I said about eyes; I forgot that it doesn't have any! Or, at least, I don't think it has an eyes that we can see. Dunno if that means it doesn't have them at all, or if it senses where it is some other way, or what.

Scratch what I said about eyes; I forgot that it doesn't have any! Or, at least, I don't think it has an eyes that we can see. Dunno if that means it doesn't have them at all, or if it senses where it is some other way, or what.
Eyes, another things that hotly disputed among fans. One things for sure, if it doesn't have eyes (isn't meant to) It doesn't effect its ability to operate.

Alien is better...^^^

The tagline implies that no one cares if you scream because space is a vacuum and you literally can't scream. So I guess no one cares that the Queen screams because she was a bitch

It means no one can hear you scream, like, from a space station around Alpha Centauri or some sh*t. Radio and stuff though... it means, like, if you're, like, outside the ship, like, cleaning it Red Dwarf style or, like, fixing some radar dish, like, 2001 style, that you couldn't, like, be alerted to some f*cked sh*t happening in, like, the bowels of the ship because there's no air and sh*t and there's metal and sh*t.

That's, like, what it means, man.

My opinions on these movies tend to be more emotional than intellectual. I saw Alien in the theater, alone, within a few days of its initial release. I'd read that something shocking happens early in the film, but didn't know exactly what. Remember, it was 1979. Star Wars had been out a few years, but Blade Runner and the great science fiction, adventure and horror films of the early 80s were all ahead of us. Giger's designs were at the time very different from what we'd seen before. And I for one can't remember anything so explicit on screen before as the alien "birth" from Harry Dean Stanton's stomach. Sure, I remember the search scenes through the darkened passages as manipulative, but it worked for me and I found myself squirming. I at least like Scott's technique of showing us something shocking ... and then just using it to ratchet up the tension in future scenes as more effective than the relentless slasher crap that followed.

Anyway, it was a memorable experience and it's still one of my favorites.

Comparing it to Aliens just isn't possible. They're two different movies. I thought Aliens was a good action movie, done to formula, but exciting enough while I was watching it.

Just BTW, the characters Vasquez (Aliens) and Chacon (Avatar) were so similar I found myself looking to see if it was the same actress, though I knew it couldn't be given the time difference. And the finales with the robot suits. Hmm .....
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Finales with robot suits...

Aliens
District 9
The Matrix
Iron Man
Starship Troopers
any Gundam
any Macross

which do you prefer and why?

I understand the fruitless nature of directly comparing films, especially a sequel to its predecessor, but lets just say, just for fun.

It's always difficult because they're different genres, thriller and action, but Alien for me. It's more real, and the application of visual effects helps that and makes the horror much more tangible.

I saw Lance Henriksen this week talking about his Bishop following not just Ian Holm's Ash but also Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner, which is a good point. What I've never thought about previously is that Brent Spiner's Data in Star Trek then followed all three and Spiner probably took a lot from what Henriksen did, looking back.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I've never understood the appeal of Aliens, it's a serviceable but unremarkable action-horror film. Alien, on the other hand, is a masterpiece.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Personally, while I don't have a particular dislike or love for either of the films, I prefer Aliens. I enjoy both of them well-enough, but I wouldn't consider either of them as masterpieces.

Incidentally, my favorite experience with the franchise is with a video-game called Alien: Isolation, which I think does extremely well at capturing what they would be going through, but on a more personal and intimate level.

I've never understood the appeal of Aliens, it's a serviceable but unremarkable action-horror film. Alien, on the other hand, is a masterpiece.
I can see where you're coming from but I think the different genres have to be taken into account. It would have been interesting let's say if Alien had been followed up with a film in exactly the same vein, more on horror/suspense than action, but even then I think Aliens did a good job of combining the two. The dream sequence especially was very effective.

Alien seems purer for some reason, but Aliens is more fun. Both great
Alien almost has that documentary feel to it, like we're seeing clips of what actually happened, black box-style.