Best M. Night Shymalan Movie?

Tools    

Loved Sixth Sense. I managed go and see it on the opening night deliberately without reading any reviews. Gave me goosebumps then and still does. Brilliant film, and very well cast.
Liked Unbreakable too, and over on another forum fought robustly for Signs against negative reviewers! The Village was dreadfully hammy and such a disappointment I didn't even bother with Lady in the Water. Recently saw The Happening on tv and it was just ok.

Once someone has shown such talent, it's hard to reconcile failures in the publics eyes. I don't doubt he still has something still inside his head that could work.

No contest for me, it's Unbreakable. I really liked The Sixth Sense, but I've not seen it for about 9 or 10 years now. Didn't bother with Signs (hate Gibson) and thought that The Village was not only poor, but a real disappointment too and I wasn't even that interested in seeing it in the first place. Didn't bother with Lady In The Water (really didn't look like my kind of thing at all) but, although The Happening is rubbish, I liked it.

In conclusion, I'm not excited by anything new that he's got to offer. I may see it and like it, but I doubt I'll be excited that it's being released... Unless he works with Drew, of course.

Sixth Sense for me, I dont like his work really, some is long and boring imo. Like Lady in the Water and Unbreakable.

I did enjoy The Happening, but I wouldn't call it very good either.

M. Night Shymalan probably has one of the coolest names around but I've only seen three of his films...

The Sixth Sense... which I figured out about 15 minutes in so was a little bored before it was over...

Signs... which wasn't bad but I had a few issues dealing with the fact Gibson's character
WARNING: "Signs" spoilers below
stood behind his child when the aliens were breaking in and also that he and his brother stood there without weapon one in their hands to defend the children...

The Village ... which I pretty much figured out early on too but for some odd reason is still probably my favorite of the three...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The Sixth Sense & Signs for me, everything else up to now (IMO) was rubbish! and so disappointing

01. Unbreakable
02. The Sixth Sense
03. Signs
04. The Village
05. The Happening
06. Lady in the Water

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, Happening. I think Lady in the Water is one of the worst films ever made.

What about Signs?

I still haven't seen Lady in the Water yet. It never interested me that much.
I dozed off a bit at the cinema during Signs. In my defence I was ill at the time, and needed sleep.

Watched it since, and enjoyed some of it. Not his best though.

Agree, it took me years to getting round to watching Lady in the Water.

My favorite movie of his was The Village. Excellent movie. Very suspenseful. I enjoyed it a lot.

I think The Sixth Sense is extremely overrated.

Unbreakable is boderline excellent while Signs is VERY good. I wasn't a fan of The Sixth Sense, though. No point talking about the other efforts.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
M. Night Shyamalan is one of my favourite directors. I was actually discussing this topic with a friend of mine the other day. He believes Signs is Shyamalan's masterpiece. While I believe Signs is a phenomenal film, Unbreakable & The Sixth Sense were well written and both contained standout performances from Bruce Willis, a previously unthinkable achievement.

While I believe Signs is a phenomenal film, Unbreakable & The Sixth Sense were well written and both contained standout performances from Bruce Willis, a previously unthinkable achievement.
Really? Die Hard? Pulp Fiction? Nobody's Fool? 12 Monkeys? Surely, at least, one of those would qualify as a standout performance?

Really? Die Hard? Pulp Fiction? Nobody's Fool? 12 Monkeys? Surely, at least, one of those would qualify as a standout performance?
He was great in Die Hard. Also liked him a lot in Plp Fiction.

A toss-up between The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable for me. Both were excellent films. I thought Signs was ok. I haven't seen anything since.

I retract my post about The Sixth Sense being the best M. Night film. I re-watched Signs yesterday and the second viewing was much better than the first. There is much to admire about Night's direction, slowly building suspense, the clever script or even mel Gibson's excellent performance. Signs could be Night's masterpiece. While I love the Sixth Sense and really admire Unbreakable (mostly for Bruce Willis' fine performance), Signs is phenomenal, suspensful and a true masterpiece. Signs is also significant for being M. Night's last good film. If until the end of time, this M. Night's last good film, then it's a fitting end.

I give it a .

Willis gave good performances in those films, but the true standouts in those films were Alan Rickman, Samuel L. Jackson, Paul Newman and Brad Pitt respectively.

In Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense, Bruce Willis gave two undeniably brilliant, underplayed and restrained performances. Those standout as the best in his career.

Standout performances depend on the character written for them.
It isn't Bruce Willis' fault if Jules was a far interesting character than the one he played.
What matters most is that Bruce delivered his performance in the best manner, which he managed to do so perfectly.

If Samuel stoodout in Pulp Fiction, almost every other character stood out compared to him in the Shaft.. which isn't Samuel's fault, his character was written that way.
I am sure Samuel could have played a real good Shaft if it was written better.

I think Bruce Willis has stood out with most of his performances regardless of his co-star getting a better role than him, he does his job.