Movies You Hate

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Sleezy
I like it when films make me smile, laugh, cry, fume, and think about stuff all in one sitting.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Me too. And Sideways does none of those things for me.
Same here...Sideways didn't make me smile, laugh, cry or fume...and the only thing it made me think about was missed opportunities on different levels. By the way...I loved you're earlier post Holden concerning this movie and agree with you.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Yeah, Sideways is a great film...
Back to films I hate....have I mentioned...Sideways.

Another is movie I hated was...

Uptown Girls (2003) ~ More crap aimed and thrown young girls. Although, I'm not sure which age group was really being targeted. The writer, director and whomever the powers that be missed the boat on this one.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Aniko
Back to films I hate....have I mentioned...Sideways.
Yeah, we all agree on loving Sideways, but who loves it the best?

In the Beginning...
Some more thoughts on Sideways:

Someone told me recently that she didn't like Sideways because she didn't like the characters (meaning that she didn't like the kinds of people they were). She particularly didn't like Tom Church's character, calling him a "selfish, pig-headed dullard" (or something to that effect).

I agree, but I think that's the point. Some people are really like that. They're not evil, and they're not even definitive antagonists. They're just people, and you accept them for who they are (especially if you are related, or if you have to work with them daily). Not one character in Sideways can be called the "good guy" or "bad guy," and I like that, because all you seem to find in mainstream Hollywood flicks anymore is the clear-cut "protagonist-versus-antagonist" model. Even in last year's Million Dollar Baby, you have villain characters that are portrayed as such (the nasty female boxer, the sneaky manager, the selfish redneck family); and while that works in relation to how characters see each other within the situation, it still paints the characters black and white for the audience. Sideways, to me, is a fantastic example of showing how real characters with real desires, insecurities, and problems interact with each other in ultimately real ways.

Example: Virginia Madsen's character seems very sweet, intelligent, and fair-minded from the moment she is introduced. But when Paul Giamatti's character reveals something that he hadn't told her previously (even after they've had such a great time together), she storms home and stops speaking to him. Watching it, I was like, "Whoa, isn't that a little harsh? Things were going so well, and he tells you something that wasn't even his responsibility, and you turn your back!" But then I thought, "Huh. I know people like this. I've had this happen to me before. I've done this to people." And then it made sense. She responded out of pain and insecurity, not out of wanting to hurt someone. That's the kind of depth and reality of character that all too often (in my opinion) gets washed out.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by lucky_luke
If you have eyes and know hoe to read, (And if you haven't or don't know what the hell you're doing in a forum?) and my profile worked so you can see the movie I most hate of it all.

This movie manage to be the worst and the dumbest movie of all times

Um, What?

Signs wasn't just about aliens....You missed it....Also, I am having trouble reading your posts, and they don't make much sense...

Originally Posted by Sedai
Um, What?
Oh, good... I was afraid it was just me...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
Um, What?

Signs wasn't just about aliens....You missed it....Also, I am having trouble reading your posts, and they don't make much sense...
I think he mentioned something elsewhere about English not being his first language. And yeah, he totally missed the point of Signs.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I think he mentioned something elsewhere about English not being his first language.

You're right... I missed that when I first read his posts... so, I hope lucky_luke will accept an apology from me...

btw, I didn't much care for Signs either... but most of my dislike had more to do with the people and their reactions...

no I would have to agree sign was not a good movie at all and for sideways well it was a good movie espcially if your in a mid life crisis

The thing about Sideways is (And I think Holden touched upon this in his first post), the only reason the flick became so popular and so revered in critic circles was the lack of thoughtful comedies in '04. Sure, there was "Frat Pack" trash such as Dodgeball & Anchorman, but Sideways was really the only halfway decent comedy for adults. It wound up getting Oscar recognition and a lot of buzz not because of its quality, but because of the lack of quality elsewhere.

So yeah, it was really overrated, but I don't see how you could really HATE the movie...

Welcome to the human race...
Sideways aside, three of my most hated movies have to be...

The Trail of the Pink Panther

Honestly, this is a horrible excuse for a Pink Panther movie. Up until now, they had been forgiveable slapstick mystery movies (I really liked A Shot in the Dark) but now they made one AFTER Peter Sellers had died and had Joanna Lumley interviewing people who knew him while mixing in stock footage of Clouseau.

It's a ****ing clip-show and a disgrace to the series.

Johnny English

When it comes to spy spoofs the king is easily Austin Powers. The lowly dungeon-dweller is Johnny English. Austin Powers had wit, and although there were seriously low-brow jokes, at least they were funny. Johnny English only ever used the one gag to death over the course of the film (the "switcheroo" as I call it - where there are two identical things and the star needs one but he goes after the wrong one by mistake) and drag it out to painful length. This has to be one of the worst movies ever.

Coogan's Bluff

This must be the only time I have seen an Eastwood movie and not been impressed. Arizona cop goes to San Francisco to chase a con. Very unremarkable and basic. Can't believe Clint did this.

In the Beginning...
One movie I despise:

The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001)

I can see how Wes Anderson's films can appeal to some people, because he definitely has his own unique style of writing and execution. But it doesn't really appeal to me at all. Rushmore was tolerable, but The Royal Tenenbaums drove me bonkers. The characters look like they're supposed to be interesting, but aren't. The dialogue is, for the most part, flat and unremarkable. The acting is much the same (which was disappointing, to say the least): I only found Gene Hackman mildly engaging. I don't know, maybe it's just the way this one was written and put together. Watching it makes me feel like I'm trying to walk through a pretty brick wall.

Ironically, I thought The Life Aquatic was great.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Sleezy
One movie I despise:

The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001)
Agreed.

Don't hate it, though it's nowhere near as awful as Anchorman, for example, but I don't like it at all...

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Agreed.

Don't hate it, though it's nowhere near as awful as Anchorman, for example, but I don't like it at all...
Damn...why?

So many good movies, so little time.
I thought The Royal Tenenbaums was very close to being a great movie. It just seems to get better every time I watch it.

I though Anchorman was close to being a good movie. Writing just wasn't all that good for me. But I didn't hate it.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by uconjack
Writing just wasn't all that good for me. But I didn't hate it.
Writing doesnt get much better than this, I would say directing was a bit shy...............but a good A- movie in my book.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
Damn...why?
Smug, esoteric, deliberately (as opposed to willfully) quirky - it set my teeth on edge to be honest. I was talking to someone else about Anderson's films the other day and came to the conclusion that, while I don't think he's without merit as a director, I've never been over the moon with any of his movies. Maybe I'll like the next one....

Unless you were talking about Anchorman? Well that's just rubbish. Ferrell's Chevy Chase without the wit or acting talent (and yes, it is Chevy Chase we're talking about here so the bar ain't exactly high).

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Smug, esoteric, deliberately (as opposed to willfully) quirky - it set my teeth on edge to be honest. I was talking to someone else about Anderson's films the other day and came to the conclusion that, while I don't think he's without merit as a director, I've never been over the moon with any of his movies. Maybe I'll like the next one....

Unless you were talking about Anchorman? Well that's just rubbish. Ferrell's Chevy Chase without the wit or acting talent (and yes, it is Chevy Chase we're talking about here so the bar ain't exactly high).
I loved Anchorman. (much like Napolean Dynamite) I wasn't looking for a storyline when I watched this movie and loved it. The ironic comedy made up for the lack of great acting or interesting scenes. Also whats wrong with Will Ferrel? If you have watched any SNL skit you'll know that he has a lot of talent.

Originally Posted by m0dern_pr0phet
Also whats wrong with Will Ferrel?
Don't find the man funny.

In the slightest. Do I need another reason?

Comedy is probably the most subjective genre out there.

So many good movies, so little time.
Originally Posted by 7thson
Writing doesnt get much better than this, I would say directing was a bit shy...............but a good A- movie in my book.

Some of the writing was good but there was some horrible writing as well.

Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell? Oh!
Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire my lady.
Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper... filled with... Indian food! Oh, excuse me.
Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people
Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
News Station Employee: Smells like Bigfoot's dick!