Movies that failed to live up to their Trailers

Tools    

The first one LOOKED crappy to me, but the second one had a chance to be Sin City 2. I never got a chance to see either, but I heard both were pretty bad.

I dunno. I though the Sam Jackson lines were pretty cool because of their goofy pulpiness. I liked the trailer. Also...

WHEN?

I doubt it. Rodriguez has been doing plenty of stuff in the meantime. All crap, but still.

NEW SPY KIDS are you excited...but yeah there's no official announcement I just heard they would start filming this year

To keep on topic, trailers bother me for reasons already mentioned

I agree. I've seen films where all of the key scenes were shown in the trailer making it a collection of all the highlights. That's especially true of so-called comedies--they put the best lines in the trailer and all you have new in the film itself is all the lame material. It's gotten to where I can look at a trailer and can pretty well figure out the movie's plot and probable ending just from all the highlights in what is supposed to be something to encourage people to see the film.
Your absolutely rite (Yodo, Rufnek), and as you mentioned this is killer when it comes to comedies. Not to go off topic a bit, but teasers can be a nightmare too, I remember the trailer and teasers for the Jim Carey comedy 'Bruce Almighty' which revealed every laugh in the movie along with the Steve Carrel scene when he's reading the news. This made the movie pointless.
---

Anywho, I personally avoid trailers myself but with a couple of recent cinema trips combined with more vigorous ad campaigns, particularly ads being placed before youtube videos (which I find really anoying ), I find myself being forced to watch trailers.

This is interesting; are there any directors, specifically, that you know came from the ad world?
Well, as a Brit, the one at the forefront of my mind was Ridley Scott and his brother. But I know that Alan Parker started that way too as did Johnathon Glazer (though he's only really made Sexy Beast, I guess it stil counts though.) OK, maybe it was just a British thing and that why I thought a lot of them got their break that way.

The Spirit looked like it would be pretty poor, mainly because of Sam Jackson's stupid line about his pseudonym
I thought it would be poor because it starred Samual L Jackson and he's become a byword for "crap film" over the last decade.

Well, as a Brit, the one at the forefront of my mind was Ridley Scott and his brother.
Ridley Scott was the only one coming to my mind, too. Also, can't remember whether or not David Fincher came from an advertising or music video background?

Absolutely agree with both you guys, though. Most trailers we get nowadays just come across as overcautious marketing strategies. I remember starting a pretty angry thread about trailers that give away too much recently because I had been told that the 3rd Inception trailer gave away a lot. Well, having seen all trailers to it now I can safely say that I overeacted deceptive information as the trailers only give you a better idea of the basic idea of the synopsis. That said, you can't blame me considering every trailer that comes out now gives you the beginning, middle and end.

Anyways, I thought that the Max Payne trailer looked really good but the film was crap.

Ridley Scott was the only one coming to my mind, too. Also, can't remember whether or not David Fincher came from an advertising or music video background?
In this interview Ridley actually claims to have directed nearly 2500 commercials before going into film.

Interesting interview by the way
&NR=1&feature=fvwp

In this interview Ridley actually claims to have directed nearly 2500 commercials before going into film.

Interesting interview by the way
&NR=1&feature=fvwp
I haven't watched all of the video yet but will finish it later on. Lol, love the exaggerations, Ridley . Think all those beer drinking sessions with Russell Crowe is starting to have an effect on him.

No worries, theres 4 parts to the interview, you can find them on youtube's 'related videos' sidebar easily enough.

It's obviously a visit to a film school or something, though I have to say, its probably a good thing there in education because the interview is shot and edited terribly lol

Ttly 'tarded movie yall. Wz nothin liek teh trailurz. Za man wuz in't for, leik, a secund. Noone DIED!!! HAWT gurls tho. Not scary AT ALL. Not enuf S. E. X. ithurrr.