Best Gay Character in Film

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
There can only be one...

Flowers are simply tarts; prostitutes for the bees. - Monty, Withnail & I

My vote:

The Crying Game

Originally Posted by uconjack
That's a very interesting question, Caitlyn. We now look back in horror at how blacks were played by whites in blackface in film's early days. It is also considered very inppropriate, in some circles, to how non-Native American play Native Americans on screen.

I wonder if we will reach a point where it is considered inappropriate to have non-gays play gay characters?

Being American Indian, I've found myself cringing numerous times when I've viewed films with non-Natives cast in the role of American Indians (the ones in the dark make-up and the wigs that look like someone stole the tail off some poor horse are particularly bad)… so, I couldn't help wondering how gays actually felt about straight actors portraying gay characters…

This topic also made me think about the gay actors who had portrayed straight characters in films and wonder if there had ever been as much fanfare made over their portrayals as there was last year over Ledger and Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

WE COME IN PEACE AND WITH GOODWIL
Jon Voight.... who played Joe Buck in the 1969 movie "midnight cowboy has to recieve an award for most reluctant gay character

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Being American Indian, I've found myself cringing numerous times when I've viewed films with non-Natives cast in the role of American Indians (the ones in the dark make-up and the wigs that look like someone stole the tail off some poor horse are particularly bad)… so, I couldn't help wondering how gays actually felt about straight actors portraying gay characters…

This topic also made me think about the gay actors who had portrayed straight characters in films and wonder if there had ever been as much fanfare made over their portrayals as there was last year over Ledger and Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain?
I cringe when I see that as well. Having played a Native American, I know that those actors are schmered with an iron-oxide dust that they'll be washing out of their clothes for months to come, long after they stop wearing it. And having been in charge of brushing those foul wigs for three months of summer theater, I feel for the people who have to do that job, too. Bleargh.

I wonder though, if you were into the story and if the makeup in question weren't the terrible "Texas Dirt" and those ridiculous wigs... if the performance and the look were convincing, in other words... would you accept a non-native actor in the role?

For me, the gender preference of the actor is secondary to whether they're convincingly in love with whoever they're supposed to be in love with. If much has been made of their gender preference, then they're going to have that to overcome, of course.

I've never head anyone gay complain about a straight actor playing gay, though I have heard mutterings about poor performances from anybody and everybody.

No offense intended here, but if you start demanding that only actors of a certain culture can play charactors of that culture, you quickly wind up with sub-standard outcomes. If someone has to be Japanese (not Chinese, sit down Ziyi Zhang!!) to play a Japanese person, does someone have to be Jewish to play a Jew? A middle-income shoe-salesman, to play WIlly Loman? Can we cast a live person in Blythe Spirit?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
As Good as It Gets (Greg Kinnear) Simon Bishop

Bound (Jennifer Tilly) Violet

Chuck&Buck (Mike White) Buck O'Brien

The Hunger (Catherine Deneuve) Miriam Blaylock

The Lion in Winter (Anthony Hopkins) Richard

Longtime Companion (Bruce Davison) David

Mulholland Dr. (Naomi Watts) Betty Elms/Diane Selwyn
(Laura Harring) Rita

Mysterious Skin (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) Neil

The Night of the Iguana (Grayson Hall) Judith Fellowes

The Opposite of Sex (Martin Donovan) Bill Truitt

The Sergeant (Rod Steiger) MSgt. Albert Callan

Show Me Love (Alexandra Dahlström) Elin Olsson
(Rebecka Liljeberg) Agnes Ahlberg

Swoon (Daniel Schlachet) Richard Loeb
(Craig Chester) Nathan Leopold Jr.

James Stewart, John Dall and Farley Granger's Characters in Alfred Hitchcock's Rope!I have some issues that people might view the characters in a negative light (seeing as they are murders ) but it's still cool to watch a 1948 film with the Gay characters in the main roles.
------------------------------------

Luis Molina (William Hurt), Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)

Katherine Brooks (The Complex)
Neve Campbell (When Will I Be Loved)
Erin Kelly (Loving Annabelle, Finding Kate)
Diane (Loving Annabelle)
Elaine Cassidy (Fingersmith)

Heath Ledger and Jake Jake gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain.
Tom Hardy as Handsome Bob in RocknRolla
Alex Demitriades in Head On
Macaulay Culkin and Seth Green in Party Monster

North American Scum!
Winston in "The Mexican". The only good part about that movie and another reason I love James Galdofini.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Todd from Wedding Chrashers

"Lets play tummy sticks"