A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The Lighthouse -

Simply put - and yes, I know, this phrase gets thrown around a lot - but this is a modern horror classic. Everything I love about movies like this one, whether it's atmosphere, claustrophobia, dark humor, ambiguity, etc. are all here and Eggers does them even better than he did in The Witch, which I also loved. Forget umm...whoever it is who won the Academy Awards for actor and supporting actor in 2019: Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe gave the male performances of that year. It's the kind of movie where it's entirely possible that each sequence is someone's favorite (it's tremendously hard to pick just one, but Dafoe's highly descriptive demands about how clean the floorboards and nails should be still makes me laugh). Oh, and I guarantee that you will never look at a seagull the same way again.

Yeah, that film was weird, good stuff

Had a double feature last night with my sister and brother-in-law.

We watched Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker and an episode of Columbo.

Regarding the former, I really enjoyed it a second time around. There were a lot of elements that I noticed this time, not the least of which is the fabulous foreshadowing of
WARNING: spoilers below
the preserved head by beginning with a shot of Aunt Cheryl having pickled seemingly everything she could get her hands on

I was also again taken by the framing of the lead detective as a villain, including the musical score that he gets which matches some of the music used for Cheryl. I also liked that he was actually a decent detective in the sense of figuring things out (the false rape claim, the meaning of the victim's ring), but that his personal biases completely skewed his ability to see the big picture.

Victim of The Night
Hey, quick question for my 'Crammers.

There are two movies from the 2010s, I Saw The Devil and Here Comes The Devil.
Are either or both of them any good?
Thanks for your help,

Wooley

Thanks for your help,
It's been ten years since I saw I Saw the Devil. I think it was among the first Korean thrillers/horrors I watched. I didn't rate films back then, but I'd remember I had some issues with its length and pacing (I often do with Korean films). I think there was something about the ending too. I've been meaning to give it another go at some point, and it's generally considered good, so it should be at least worth a watch.

Here Comes the Devil is a much more recent watch. It was on my watchlist for quite some time, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I guess my expectations grew, and when I finally saw it, my review reflected my disappointment for it not living up to those expectations. I wouldn't call it good, but I think it's definitely OK, and also worth a watch.

Thanks for your help,

Wooley

Both are good, even if both also have significant issues that could put people off of them hard.

I Saw the Devil I think is pretty brilliant, but it has one major idea and it chooses (deliberately) to pummel you over the head with it. I'm totally fine with a film that just commits to what it wants to do though, regardless of how much it might alienate a good chunk of viewers.

Here Comes the Devil I think is a legitimately creepy movie. But at times it feels the director may have bitten off more than he can chew. Still, it can be compelling viewing. I did a brief write up of it on the Corrie before it went down (below, no spoilers)

Sometimes it might be enough for a movie to just want to be evil. Or at least telegraph to its audience how important such a distinction is to it. Like a Goth who thinks standing out in the rain looking morbid is an effective way to spend one's time, sometimes it is all about commitment. Even if the result just smears your make-up and, after further reflection, was kinda dumb

But even if no one is ever truly frightened of a Damp Goth, you still stand a chance of remembering them. Such is the case with Here Comes the Devil. While not necessarily good movie, it possesses lots of promise of not being soon forgotten once watched.

Unless you turn it off. Which you’d be forgiven for.

There is lots to complain about here, for those who want to by picky about their storytelling. It’s true that Here Comes the Devil frequently comes off as a rush job that isn't quite as ready as it should be for the Visitor it invokes in its title. While it may have done its job posturing its level of Satan cred to get his attention, it hardly ever provides any room in the framing of its camera to have him actually make a proper appearance. Images are flat and undynamic. Actors often need to find their own place inside the frame. Unless the director is expecting the Prince of Darkness to awkwardly stand against a wall between some moping chair sitters, this is a film will only be Satanic in its manners. The Devil clearly deserves a better DOP than this.

But there will also end up being a lingering affect after all of this terrible looking dumbness leaves the screen. And as reserved as I am trying to be, I think this is an accomplishment. Even if the movie itself, with its violent murder and levitations and possessions and inappropriate sex, is at most an imposter for evil. Laziness by everyone involved shouldn’t be a disqualfier for delivering His Message.

Aren’t idle hands the Devil’s playthings, after all?

And whose hands could be more Idle in the case of the creators of Here Comes the Devil. Director, scriptwriter, director of photography. Let their idleness speak volumes!

Hail Satan!

Thanks for your help,

Wooley
I gave "Here Comes" 4 stars, which is surprising because I don't remember liking it that much but evidently I did.

"I Saw" is also worthwhile, but as others have said it's not a walk in the park.

Guys, the real Barry J Gillis liked my Letterboxd review of Things! He also gave his own movie 5 stars.

Thinking I should have put up my actual write-up instead of the crappy joke review...

Now he's following me!!!!

This is the closest thing I've had to a celebrity interaction since I walked past David Cronenberg on the way to the bathroom.

Thanks for your help,

Wooley
I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard all kinds of praise towards I Saw the Devil on Twitter. One of my older brothers also endorses it, so take from that what you may.

Guys, the real Barry J Gillis liked my Letterboxd review of Things! He also gave his own movie 5 stars.

Thinking I should have put up my actual write-up instead of the crappy joke review...
Awesome! No shame in him liking that. Sometimes, joke reviews say more than actual reviews ever could.

Sorry, I can't resist posting more movies in that series:

There Went the Devil
The Devil Left his Wallet on the Counter
Let us not forget the prequel, The Devil in Miss Jones.

(It's a good movie. I swear.... )

Actually, not a horror, but people in this thread might enjoy The Devil Came From Akasava. Fun cheapo thriller vibes from Jess Franco starring arguably his best leading lady Soledad Miranda.

I don't know who Barry Gillis is, so I initially thought you were referring to Night Ranger guitarist Brad Gillis, which led me to the realization that I inexplicably know the names of Night Ranger members.

Sorry, I can't resist posting more movies in that series:

There Went the Devil
The Devil Left his Wallet on the Counter
Here Comes the Devil sounds like a sitcom, doesn't it?
Starring Jamie Farr or something.

Here Comes the Devil sounds like a sitcom, doesn't it?
Starring Jamie Farr or something.
He's a husband and father of two kids and he's constantly trying to conceal his family's identities from the overly nice but suspicious neighbor, who's a priest and exorcist. It practically writes itself!

Now he's following me!!!!

This is the closest thing I've had to a celebrity interaction since I walked past David Cronenberg on the way to the bathroom.

Hey, now that you're pals, get him to send me a copy of Wicked World. It's going for $35.04 on Amazon, and that sounds just the right amount to make us even for him ruining my life with Things.

Hey, now that you're pals, get him to send me a copy of Wicked World. It's going for $35.04 on Amazon, and that sounds just the right amount to make us even for him ruining my life with Things.
Looks like his reviews are closed to comments. Was gonna ask him what it was like working with Amber Lynn. *

Looks like it's cheaper on the VS site (and I think they have a sale coming up too in the near future), but they can take longer to ship.*

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/wicked-world-agfa

Victim of The Night
I don't know who Barry Gillis is, so I initially thought you were referring to Night Ranger guitarist Brad Gillis, which led me to the realization that I inexplicably know the names of Night Ranger members.