Elliot Page comes out as transgender

Tools    

Yeah, that may be, but that's a separate question from whether "influence" and "choice" are mutually exclusive or not.
Sometimes they are, sometimes they’re not. I can choose to wear a red pair of shoes without being influenced. But I may have been influenced when I chose a pro life stance.

Semantics, I believe, so I won’t address it further as you said to stay on-topic.

I just hope she gives up her roles as a privileged white male now for the sake of diversity.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

"transmen" - sounds like a comic book turned movie.

Noted geneticist; Professor Lawrence Transagen gathers together a small band of teenagers who, upon puberty, find they have the ability to alter their genders. The Professor provides a place for them to explore their abilities in his "Academy for Exceptional Adolescents." But the academy is also a cover for the secret base of the Transmen! As the students form a team of superheroes who have sworn to defend and protect a world that hates and fears them from intolerance and bigotry!

Re acting: It's going to be interesting to see what roles they chose to play going forward. Kinda shoehorned themselves into a pickle with Umbrella Academy, so it will also be interesting to see how that gets handled.
Honestly, the character on the show could easily, easily follow a similar journey.

At this point I don't know how faithful the show is to the source material, and I don't know how much of a fit fans would pitch. But Netflix has publicly been supportive of Page, so who knows.

Transitioning while in the middle of the run of a TV show is pretty unprecedented (I believe?), and I will be interested to see how Page feels about returning to the role.

Yeah, that's definitely the rare show that can roll with the punches on pretty much anything. Doesn't mean it'll be good, and in fact I'd kinda bet against it, simply because writing a compelling story is hard enough without being forced into (or away from) things by circumstance, but canon-wise they do some really wild stuff already, so that won't be a problem in and of itself.

Yeah, that's definitely the rare show that can roll with the punches on pretty much anything. Doesn't mean it'll be good, and in fact I'd kinda bet against it, simply because writing a compelling story is hard enough without being forced into (or away from) things by circumstance, but canon-wise they do some really wild stuff already, so that won't be a problem in and of itself.
Right. This isn't a realistic drama. It is a fantasy/sci-fi show that is intentionally very quirky.

More broadly, I think that the second season was a step down from the first. I think that those kind of shows can be kind of exhausting and can struggle to still tell compelling stories while managing to "one up" what they have done before. So my only concern would be if the show could write a compelling character arc for Vanya that would both naturally integrate into the show's themes (though Vanya's whole story of being an outsider and different and not in tune with her true identity are kind of perfect, no?) and be good television. Good intentions alone won't cut it. And if the season isn't good, there is the risk of backlash being directed at Page. "Oh, they just had to make it about his issues, and that's why the season was bad."

So while I think it would be cool if they could integrate it, I really hope they do it well. There are going to be so many people ready to pounce in the most hateful way if they don't.

More about "The Unusual TransMen"...

Brought together by the mysterious Professor T. (full name: Lawrence Graymalkin Bernando Transegen, esQuire) who himself had the ability to alter his gender (he could change back into his original gender which was a woman known only as Mrs. T. - who became famous for producing a line of frozen pierogies!)...

...The original team of TransMen were five teenagers posing as students at Professor T's "Academy for Exceptional Adolescents."

They were 4 girls and 1 boy who all had various powers stemming from their mutagenic ability to transform their genders:

Susan "Slim" or "Scottie" Winters was named leader of the team (codename: Bi-opts)
Willow Wertherston was a rich debutante (codename: The Cherub)
Henrietta "Hanky-panky" McAvoy was a genius who could transform into a very hairy man (codename: The He-She)
Roberta "Bobbie" Brake was youngest of the group (codename: Ice-Tran)
and
Gene Gaye the boy of the group (codename: Marvel Non-Cis).

The youngsters' abilities to transform their genders without the aid of experimental, hormone-blocking drugs give them a variety of powers and access to places & things average people lack - thus they no longer consider themselves simple homo sapiens but rather "homo trans-supremators"!

Many more TransMen would follow to join the team in order to battle such villains as...
Magnormal - Professor T's longtime arch nemesis who believes there are only two genders that should never be changed;
Magnormal's supervillain team: The Brotherhood of Evil Transphobes;
the Judgernaut - Professor T's biased, bad-tempered & unstoppable step brother;
and the Gentinels - giant robots designed by anti-trans activist Oliver Task to hunt down all trans or otherwise oriented people!

Says who? His statement seems to imply this has been something he was working through for a while. Also: most people with gender dysphoria aren't just dropping that in casual conversation. You have no idea how long he may have been grappling with gender identity.
I guess you are right, this probably is something that was in their mind for years. In my memory, this is the first case of a major Hollywood actor while among directors I can remember the ones who made The Matrix.

Whose logic? Do you have actual examples of transmen who are like, "Yup, had enough of being a lesbian and decided to turn in my girl card for some of that sweet, sweet male privilege!"

I know plenty of lesbians and plenty of trans people, including a childhood best friend and also a cousin who are transmen. Never once have a heard a lesbian express that just "identifying as a straight man" would make their lives easier. And none of the transmen I know see it as some "all access pass". If anything, being openly transgender (transman or transwoman) makes their lives harder and a lot more dangerous, not easier.

Most of the lesbians I know who are tired of the woman-coded stuff tend to lean more toward identifying as non-binary, not trans.

There have, of course, historically been many women who have chosen to present as men in order to access spaces or opportunities they would have been denied as women. But all the Mulans of history were not transgender.
I agree gender dysphoria is something very serious while my earlier post made it sound like it identifying as transmen is like a fad among lesbian teenager girls.

There is a hypothesis that social contagion is behind the 100 fold documented increase in teenagers, now 3/4 female, showing up in gender clinics in US and UK over the past 15 years (https://www.economist.com/internatio...-repercussions), but I guess Page's case is very different from those confused teenagers.

Gonna have to ask that we stop there. People are free to continue via private means and all that. Heck, there's a lot I'd like to say/question/argue, too, and my PM box is open on that front if I ever get any takers on the issue. But I don't think it's possible to discuss this without breaking the "no politics" rule or keeping it to movies, so let's move on if we can. Many thanks.