The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, pretty sure that "1" is a typo right there next to Labyrinth. I mean, people all talkin' bout Princess Bride and such. I mean, yeah, it's a great movie but that don't remind me of no babe. Not one with power, at least. As you wish. Whatever...

I deliberately did not italicize Princess Bride in protest.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Wow, can't believe I was the only person to put The Big Sleep and Local Hero on my list! And The Maltese Falcon only made 4 lists. Really? Wow.
It is surprising. I love both of those films, and re-watch them periodically, but neither made my top 25.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't like to nitpick cos it doesn't make any difference to the outcome, but Amelie seems to be listed twice - as Amelie and Amelie (2001).

Sorry
I definitely did that more than once and I arranged the films alphabetically to correct those. I guess I missed one.

I think there's an error in calculations. Nothing that affects the top-100 but still.

Hana-bi has 15 pts / 2 lists. There's also Fireworks with 6 pts / 1 list which I assume to be my vote for Hana-bi. I just used the English titles for my ballot this time.
To be fair, I would have no idea that these are the same movies. I just put the titles in and didn't double-check to see what the movie was.

There are also entries for Nausicaa and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

My eyes were probably crisscrossed at this point.

Some people did not put full titles and I had to make sure they meant certain movies over others.

At a certain point in the list, I stopped double-checking as I knew they would not make the Top 100.

Suspect's Reviews

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I definitely did that more than once and I arranged the films alphabetically to correct those. I guess I missed one.

To be fair, I would have no idea that these are the same movies. I just put the titles in and didn't double-check to see what the movie was.

My eyes were probably crisscrossed at this point.

Some people did not put full titles and I had to make sure they meant certain movies over others.

At a certain point in the list, I stopped double-checking as I knew they would not make the Top 100.
This happened to me in the fifties countdown with A Christmas Carol and Scrooge. It almost ruined it too, because I think that movie ended up somewhere around 110 or so. Thank God it didn't affect the 100.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Looks like I was the only one to vote for The Broken Circle Breakdown, Leaving Las Vegas, Boys Don't Cry, Killer Joe, and Animal House.
Broken Circle is certainly in play for the 2010s decade list for me.

to the one with Wavelength as his/her 4th

and who dare to cross-path with Minio senpai and votes for hanagatami xD

Thanks, Yoda & TheUsualSuspects, for doing this!!! And thank you for posting the complete list of all the nominated films. It really makes it apparent how much work was involved in this!

It also confirms my suspicions that I was the only one who voted for most of the movies on my own list But it was interesting to see how many other terrific films appeared on just a list or two -- some that I wish I had put on mine but didn't think of.

Thanks again!

And a big woo hoo to the other nominator of The French Connection!!!

Yay, 2001 made it at number 1!
It beat the Godfather, which I never expected. I personally gave about 20 points for 2001 and didn't have Godfather on my list, so if I haven't voted that wouldn't have happened. 2001 is perhaps among the single most impressive movie viewing experiences I ever had. It is a truly monumental movie that rises way above the standards of hollywood.

It beat the Godfather, which I never expected. I personally gave about 20 points for 2001 and didn't have Godfather on my list, so if I haven't voted that wouldn't have happened. 2001 is perhaps among the single most impressive movie viewing experiences I ever had. It is a truly monumental movie that rises way above the standards of hollywood.
Yeah, it's a brilliant film. I've seen it several times and each viewing has only solidified its reputation as an untouchable masterpiece. I didn't expect for it to beat The Godfather, but it definitely deserves the top spot on this list, so I'm glad it did.

Hey guys, tiny note that we're flipping the spots of Enter the Dragon (originally 97th) and The Searchers (originally 96th). They were tied in points, and lists, and they had the same highest spot on any list, and, well, we didn't realize we'd need yet another tiebreaker! But once we decided what it was (next highest list placement), we realized Enter the Dragon should get the nod, ever so slightly. I'll be fiddling with the database to reflect that here in the thread and on the list itself in a moment. Just wanted to be totally transparent about all that.

I hope everyone who had Karate Kid on their list has been watching Cobra Kai on Netflix.

Welcome to the human race...
How am I the only one who voted for Donnie Darko when it’s been favorited by 89 members, smh
Because it sucks, hey-o!

But seriously, guessing that most of those 89 members simply aren't active anymore. The favourites system has been around for well over a decade at this point - a lot of time in which countless new users can sign up, add a top 10, and then stop using the site. In light of this, I have to wonder why the figure was included on every post (especially when, as in the case of something like Donnie Darko it seems to run contrary to a given film's current popularity among voters).

There's a disproportionate number of favorites for recent releases, a lot of people sign up kind of casually and enter a lot of new films (either because they don't watch many older ones or because they're just sort of winging the favorites, at least to start).

There's a handful of bots, I'm sure, too, with lots of recent blockbusters in their favorites.

There's a handful of bots, I'm sure, too, with lots of recent blockbusters in their favorites.
Sure they can choose Donnie Darko as their favorite movie, but can they identify which pictures have stop signs in them?

I didn't think so.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Despite being the #1 on the 2012 Sight & Sound poll, Vertigo doesn't even seem to be a very favourable choice (at least relative to it's current position) of avid cinephiles. Sometimes I think its appraised according to standards that the film seems to elude. Thematically its far more complex than what most people think of it to be - some sort of creepy obsession. But the manner in which obsession is presented simply cannot be summarised into a generic "whodunnit" theme, neither can its aesthetics be reduced to a narrative-driven structure. The questions that can be posed of Vertigo's reception are as follows. Did those who rate it less favourably do so because they couldn't understand the film? Conversely, did those who rate it highly do so precisely because they also do NOT understand the film? If its allure is what attracts/repels past and future film fans, then perhaps its the way in which Vertigo operates as a meta-level commentary about not just those who suffer from the medical condition but everyone who can't be guided by anything other than their hidden drives and impulses. In other words, the film is a metaphysical treatise about the nature of desire, one which comes the furthest in my esteem to tracing the intricacies of desire. I shall wait for next year's edition of the Sight & Sound poll, closely monitoring the film's effect on cinema.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well I thought it would take me a while to catch up with this thread and I was right.

So, 2001? Hmm. Maybe I should watch it again to see what the fuss is about.

Yeah, I went pretty heavy on the "warm fuzzies" types of films, the ones that are always close to my thoughts, even if I wouldn't try to sell anyone on them being among the greatest examples of the form. I was very Marie Kondo about it: does this film give you joy? Do you feel an impulse to smile, or does your mind race with analysis and interpretation when you think of it? That was the only way I could break the thousand-way tie between so many wonderful films.
This was absolutely my approach. How could I possibly pick just 25? I limited myself to ones I had seen multiple times, and then just went for 'oh but I have the poster of that film on my wall, that's the one I really looove, I cried three times so it must be the one' when the thousand way tie issue reared its head.

1. Cabaret (1972)
2. Lost in Translation (2003)
3. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
4. Blade Runner (1982)
5. Sense and Sensibility (1995)
6. The Shape of Water (2017)
7. The Matrix (1999)
8. West Side Story (1961)
9. Inception (2010)
10. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
11. Brief Encounter (1945)
12. Cloud Atlas (2012)
13. 28 Days Later (2002)
14. Spirited Away (2001)
15. Plan B (2009)
16. Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
17. The Terminator (1984)
18. Rope (1948)
19. Plein Soleil (Purple Noon) (1960)
20. Tank Girl (1995)
21. Quills (2000)
22. Sonatine (1993)
23. A Taste of Honey (1961)
24. Moulin Rouge! (2001)
25. Dangerous Liaisons (1988)

(So, yes, I did still have Sense and Sensibility, Quills, Sonatine and Moulin Rouge! on my list in 2020; still have a soft spot for that 2010 countdown )

The only films I have yet to see from this list are Rosemary's Baby and Enter the Dragon.