The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love how people call it a VHS player and not a VCR now.
LOL, right until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten about the VCR acronym Although technically it's not a "Recorder" that I need. Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm old

The Adventure Starts Here!
"Young Frankenstein" is my favorite, all-time comedy and so happy to see it make the cut. Filming it in B&W was brilliant and added much to the story. A great story and a damn entertaining spin on the novel and earlier films.
As a previously card-carrying member of the short-lived Gene Wilder Fan Club, I approve this message.

Also, they used a lot of the original set equipment from the 1930 original film, which was a stroke of genius in itself.

I'm just old enough that the joke around my high school during my senior year was that I was going to find a way to get Gene Wilder to take me to the prom. Sadly, this did not happen.

But my kids got me framed stills from Young Frankenstein for Christmas two years ago and I hung them proudly here in my home office, next to my signed 8x10 glossy of Mr. Wilder from his movie The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (which will not make our countdown, I assure you).

Meanwhile, side question for @Yoda : How long do you spend each day coming up with the perfect hint for TWO movies?

Meanwhile, side question for @Yoda : How long do you spend each day coming up with the perfect hint for TWO movies?
Some would argue none of them have been perfect, so the answer is quite possibility infinity. A few times I've just looked at the titles and had it immediately pop into my head. Usually it takes a minute or so. The little quasi-poem one about bloomin' skyscrapers took the longest by far, which I guess is obvious since it's way more complicated (or convoluted) than all the others. My first instinct is for the hint to be really simple, if it's not it's because nothing simple occurred to me.

There's a few pairings coming up that I've glanced at and don't know what I'll do for, but I'll worry about that when they come up. I'll also have to probably stop at some point because when we get down to the last couple of dozen most people will be able to figure out what nearly all of them are, so it'll be a pretty simple process. For those I'll either get really goofy/obscure, or else just switch to trivia or something.

Oh, and I'm super mad Rosemary's Baby and Toy Story weren't paired together, because that could've been fun.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Young Frankenstein was my #1 pick for this list, so I claim a certain amount of credit for its appearance.

But hey, I owned the T-shirt, the soundtrack, the poster, and about ten ticket stubs from having seen it in the theater way back when, a ticket stub from seeing the play a few years ago, and I now own the VHS tape, the DVD, the soundtrack from the play, and a refrigerator magnet. So... yeah. I practice what I preach around here.

A "quick" catch-up once again here...

8. Akira (76 points) - only seen this once, don't know if I will see it again. Didn't like it much at first viewing. I'm not the biggest on anime, but really like/love a few. This wasn't one of them though.

87. Toy Story (76 points) - a childhood favourite that still holds up. Amazing film, groundbreaking visuals and superb story. It's a witty and fun family film and because of that it still feels as fresh as ever.

86. Dazed and Confused (77 points)
- still haven't seen this but plan on it for sure...

85. To Kill a Mockingbird (77 points) - one of my all time favourites and yes... of course it was on my list. Love the atmosphere and the combination of courtroom drama and coming of age story. It's such an innocent humane film, so much heart. I wish Gregory Peck was my father.

84. The Apartment (77 points)
- definitely plan on a rewatch of this... I love Sunset Blvd. but didn't like this. That said, I saw it back when I tried to get into cinema and therefore I just watch everything I could left and right. Some well respected movies landed right on, some didn't. This was one of those that didn't quite land it for me. But it's been so long that I feel like I would have a completely different experience this time.

83. Saving Private Ryan (77 points)
- beautifully realized war drama. it looks and sounds great but the story and approach is a mixed bag for me. War movies can be tough. It's a delicate subject and you can tell them in so many ways. It can be preachy, patriotic, chaotic, maddening, nightmare-inducing and even satirical. I don't know if Spielberg takes us through war how I personally like it best, but it's certainly an accomplished piece of moviemaking in its own right.

82. 8 ˝ (77 points) - well well well... I have never quite put myself up to watch this. I will, of course, but for some reason it hasn't happened yet. I still got it laying on my harddisk for, like, the fourth year straight. Some day though, some day.

81. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (78 points) - wasn't really a fan of this. I love the leads, dug the atmosphere okay, but something was off to me. It felt dated and a bit weirdly executed at times. It's like I didn't quite get into the vibe of it.

80. West Side Story (79 points) - good musical, I had a lot of fun. I watched it mostly for that Super Panavision 70 and it certainly didn't disappoint in that area.

79. American Beauty (79 points) - a modern classic. It's fun, it's tragic, it's touching and it's sad. It's a lot of things, though not a true favourite of mine. I do really like it though and Spacey is brilliantly creepy (even more so now).

78. Star Wars: A New Hope (79 points)
- not much to say here. It's great.

77. Young Frankestein (80 points) - haven't seen this yet either. I plan to though. I like Gene Wilder (I guess most do)

Kinda surprised to see Young Frankenstein making the list over Blazing Saddles. Though I am even more surprised to see a lot of dislike towards Blazing Saddles here on the forum. I liked them both, but my favourite Mel Brooks movie was Silent Movie.

Anyways Young Frankenstein is a hilarious movie and a worthy entry into the list.

As for Star Wars. I got into the SW universe quite late. I love the first two movies. Think the Return of Jedi could use some editing. Don't care for the prequels. Enjoyed the animated series. Don't care for the new sequels. Absolutely love Rogue One and for me it's the second best SW movie after Empire. And I am currently enjoying the Mandalorian.

Neither in my list, however.

Ona side note, I reckon Empire makes the top 50.

I love how people call it a VHS player and not a VCR now.

That's what we called it too. Also brings back happy memories of teenage years for me. Going to sleepovers, renting a VCR and paying an extra rent to the video gallery guy to lend us the adult movies. And then sneakily returnig the VCR and the casettes early morning the next day.

Kids these days, with internet on their phones, would never know the things we had to do to watch some things.

I love Young Frankenstein, one of the funniest movies ever, but there's at least a couple comedies I think are even funnier and those eventually got cut off my list by the end, so Young Frankenstein was never in serious contention. Star Wars was never in consideration. I love it fine, though the endless terrible sequels over the past twenty five years and the various spinoffs (though I did like Rogue One okay and haven't seen The Mandalorian) have had the effect of dampening my love for the franchise, I do still hold the original trilogy in high regard--just not that high of regard.

Kinda surprised to see Young Frankenstein making the list over Blazing Saddles.
Technically, we don't know that it did, unless you believe there's no chance Blazing Saddles could could've made the top 75 or thereabouts.

Boldly going.
Star Wars: A New Hope was #12 on my list. I'm surprised that it didn't do better here. I'm betting that Empire Strikes Back has yet to appear. Heck, look at the avatar of the guy who organized this list! Star Wars has infiltrated popular culture like nothing else.

I love Young Frankenstein, but it did not make my top 25. I saw the musical on Broadway (or was it Off-Broadway? I can't remember); the musical was great too.

I really liked both Star Wars and Young Frankenstein and it pained me not to include either one on my list. Although to be fair, one entry of the Star Wars franchise just missed out as an honorable mention.

I liked Star Wars as it faithfully follows the Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey from start to finish. At once a callback on the serials of yesteryear as well as a contemplative look at faith and religion, the film reflects on what you make of it. Plus, even if you're not looking deeper, it's got action, memorable characters and solid dialogue for days.

Young Frankenstein is one of Mel Brook's shining moments in a varied career. It manages to deftly spoof Frankenstein while embracing it, a feat that's about as easy as landing the kill shot in the Death Star. Much like A New Hope, Young Frankenstein has memorable characters and strong dialogue. I imagine having seen both the original and Bride of Frankenstein in recent years, it'll click that much more next time I see it.

Tomorrow's hint:

Bourne Identity and Truman Show or Fight Club are my guesses

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Tomorrow's hint:

I'm leaning towards Boyhood and Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

Although I did think about Bourne Identity as well.

Tomorrow's hint:

The Truman Show and Fight Club?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Star Wars is super low, and I even had it on my list. The film is so iconic and memorable that I couldn`t forget to include it: its the model blockbuster film and still to this day stands head and shoulders above nearly all others of the epic fantasy/science fiction genre.

Star Wars: A New Hope was #12 on my list. I'm surprised that it didn't do better here. I'm betting that Empire Strikes Back has yet to appear. Heck, look at the avatar of the guy who organized this list! Star Wars has infiltrated popular culture like nothing else.
I guess that lots of people included Star Wars but they included it at the bottom of their top 25, so it didn`t get enough points. Maybe, instead of the 1st being 25 points and the last being 1 point, these lists should be 1st 50 points and last, 26 points, so the bottom of the list has still substantial weight.

A system of cells interlinked
Finding Nemo and Fight Club

Maybe, instead of the 1st being 25 points and the last being 1 point, these lists should be 1st 50 points and last, 26 points, so the bottom of the list has still substantial weight.
Why not #1 = 1,000,000 and #25 = 40,000? That way your last choice gets lots and lots of points?!?