The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen "The Apartment". "Saving Private Ryan" has that incredible opening salvo that few films can match. A good film that I'll probably never rewatch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

15/19 seen
1/12 on clues
1/25 off list

#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

Love both The Apartment and Saving Private Ryan, even if they didn't make my list. Still, they were on my shortlist for my fractured Top 100.

I can't believe I don't remember if I saw Saving Private Ryan in theaters or not. I think I didn't, probably caught it on VHS, but I was still blown away by it. I certainly don't love it as much as I did back in 1998 (hence it not making my list), but I still think it's an incredibly powerful film with very strong performances. To this day, there are perhaps 3 or 4 scenes that make my heart sink and/or swell, which is a testament to Spielberg's skills.

The Apartment I saw for the first time in 2018 and loved it immediately. What surprised me most was how I was expecting something more silly or "slapstick-y", but ended up with something quite dramatic, mature, and touching instead. Both Lemmon and MacLaine were great, but Shirley was really, really good.

The Apartment is good. Can't say I remember it much, or watched it recently, even though I own it. I definitely prefer a couple of other Wilder's. But at least it's definitely lots and lots better than Some Like It Hot. More like fart-warm, ammirite??

You'd think watching the opening of Saving Private Ryan that your about to see a war movie that will be great enough to keep up with Come and See, or Paths of Glory, or Das Boot, or Deer Hunter, or even Three ****ing Kings. Nope. All we are is watching the last great moment of spectacle from Spielberg, who was about to start running on fumes. The remaining stretch of Ryan will be the first real evidence of him losing his touch with the sentimental, which doesn't blend with SPR's hard edged violence, and the beginning of what would become a signature of his late career --dull and safe seriousness. This is one man-child I'd prefer had never grown up (even though I guess there needed to be an adult in the room to make Munich, which is good) Ultimately, I guess SPR is at least watchable, as long as there is never anything better to put on. A perfect choice for Canadian Netflix! I should write them a politely worded letter to add it to their roster, pronto! At least it's better than The Hurt Locker. Or rather, The Fart Locker, ammirite???

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Saving Private Ryan is another member of my last top films list, but I didn't vote for it. Probably somewhere in the 60-70 range these days. Really good movie. Perhaps Spielberg will come away the big winner in this whole thing as far as number of films.

I don't love The Apartment, but it's a solid entry and I love Billy Wilder in general.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Billy Wilder made three movies I love (Ace in the Hole, Sunset Blvd, The Lost Weekend), but "The Apartment" to me is ok. I didn't see the "comedy".

I couldn't stand "Saving Private Ryan"... Even as a kid, I thought about this awful scene. Guys walking around through rubble, traveling miles, seeing a random guy (Matt Damon)

"Who are you?" - "Ryan" -- hooray, problem solved!

A system of cells interlinked

Dazed & Confused ain't **** compared to American Graffiti. Looking at general coming-of-age end of high school cusp of the next step movies I will take not only Fast Times at Ridgemont High over Linklater's sophomore effort but also Breaking Away, Say Anything..., and even Booksmart.
Breaking Away blows all these other coming of age films out of the water, IMO.

Breaking Away blows all these other coming of age films out of the water, IMO.

"Breaking Away" is my favorite sports movie. Much like "Dazed & Confused", it ended up on the cutting room floor when finishing my list.

"Breaking Away" is my favorite sports movie. Much like "Dazed & Confused", it ended up on the cutting room floor when finishing my list.
Much to my wife's chagrin, I watch it quite often. For me, it's all the stuff not directly focused on the biking (hanging out at the quarry etc.) that I adore, although I still like the biking stuff, as well.

Breaking Away is one of my all-time favorite movies, too, and not just in the coming-of-age genre, though I agree it is the best of the best there. Sports movies, too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have Saving Private Ryan on my top 100 list but not top 25, I have never seen The Apartment

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Another from my list! I had The Apartment at #15.

Skepsis' List  

I watched Breaking Away based on Holden's passion for it during the 70's list. I don't think I had even heard of it before then.

I didn't love it. But I don't loved Dazed or Graffiti either. I don't think teenage hangout movies are for me. I don't enjoy teen party movies either. I think I don't relate. I would probably love a movie about a teen eating chicken wings and watching the Yankees on a Friday night.

I watched Breaking Away based on Holden's passion for it during the 70's list. I don't think I had even heard of it before then.

I didn't love it. But I don't loved Dazed or Graffiti either. I don't think teenage hangout movies are for me. I don't enjoy teen party movies either. I think I don't relate. I would probably love a movie about a teen eating chicken wings and watching the Yankees on a Friday night.
And suddenly, Sean's reputation is dashed against the rocks by one statement on MoFo...

A sad day!

From the 2020 List so far
40s - 0
50s - 2
60s - 3
70s - 4
80s -3
90s - 4
2000s- 1
2010s - 1

6 movies that were on 2010 list made it on the 2020 one so far
12 New movies that weren't on the 2020 list so far, keep them newbies comin

And suddenly, Sean's reputation is dashed against the rocks by one statement on MoFo...

A sad day!
Should have went with the Knicks. Much more palatable

100. Brazil (69 points)

99. Suspiria (70 points) N.W.
98. Cabaret (71 points) N.W.
97. Enter the Dragon (71points)

96. The Searchers (71 points)

95. Ikiru (72 points)
++ (my list)
94. Her (73 points)

93. Braveheart (73 points)

92. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (74 points)

91. Rosemary's Baby (75 points) N.W.
90. Harold and Maude (75 points)

89. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (75 points)

88. Akira (76 points)

87. Toy Story (76 points)

86. Dazed and Confused (77 points) N.W.
85. To Kill a Mockingbird (77 points)

84. The Apartment (77 points)

83. Saving Private Ryan (77 points)

So far excellent list. I should watch the ones I haven't.

One Pointers are films that received exactly one point, which means a single person had them in the last spot on their ballot (25th), and they received no other votes from anyone else.

Many panelists use this spot to give oddball films a little spotlight before the countdown starts in earnest. Here's what we ended up with this time:

In This Corner of the World (2016)
In This Corner of the World was my 1 pointer which I selected in my top 25 as the last place because I knew nobody else would but I would rate it as the best-animated film of this century since Spirited Away (2001). Its a realistic drama movie set in Japan in WW2 focusing on the daily life of a housewife trying to survive through the war. It happens to be animated since it is based on the same visual style as the source manga. It accomplished the very rare feat of being placed 1st in Kinema Junpo's critics pool for the year it was released (only animated film to do so besides My Neighbor Totoro).

I saw The Apartment once, it’s very charming.

SPR is one of my favorite movies, left it off my list because it can’t be all Spielberg lol.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Though it didn't make my list Saving Private Ryan is pretty much a GOAT level War movie, and I don't use that word unless something/someone deserves it.

They really did justice to an incredibly difficult Omagh beach landing, and gained the approval of actual veterans for their realism.

The central theme is a difficult one, balancing one life vs several others. Then later whether to release the captured soldier or not and the consequences of that. I think they get it right though, Ryan's life should be saved lest a family be made to pay with all 4 sons.

An amazing cast, an amazing story and homage to WW2, plus a catalyst for one of the best ever TV series in Band of Brothers.