Top 5 Westerns

Tools    

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Put them in any order, they are just all in the top five.

Unforgiven (1992)
Searchers (1956)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966)
True Grit (1969 or 2010 take your pick)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

The Western genre will never completely die, and though it will certainly never see a saturation of the market like it had in the 1950s and 1960s, it does go in cycles and there is always something out there on the horizon. This past year was unusual, in a good way, in that there were four good Westerns released: Slow West, Bone Tomahawk, The Hateful Eight, and The Revenant, the latter of which received the most Oscar nominations of any movie released in 2015 and is surely going to win some of the biggies in a couple weeks. If it manages to win Best Picture it will be only the fourth from the genre to do so (joining Unforgiven, Dances with Wolves and Cimarron). Jane Got A Gun, though I didn't much care for it, was already released in January of this year, and Antoine Fuqua's Magnificent Seven remake with Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke and others will likely be ready before the year is out.

Since this thread was started in 2004 there have been some really good Westerns made, including The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Django Unchained, The Proposition, The Homesman, and Joel and Ethan Coen's True Grit remake which was both a decent money maker and garnered ten Oscar nominations including Best Picture. And though a modern-day Western, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is still one of my very favorite films of the 21st Century. The 3:10 to Yuma remake, though not for me, did pretty well, and smaller indies have used the genre too like Meek's Cutoff, Seraphim Falls, Blackthorne, and The Appaloosa (2006).

There have certainly been some expensive duds, too, like the 2004 remake of The Alamo which was very, very costly and made almost nothing at the box office (to be fair, it was pretty bad), the long awaited adaptation of the Jonah Hex comic book was a big ol' stinker, and the highest profile mistake was Gore Verbinski's energetic action movie reboot of The Lone Ranger, which though probably not as bad as its reputation was certainly not the franchise creator all involved were sure it would be, which was a shame because Verbinski had played with the genre in such a fun way in the animated Rango beforehand. Other embarrassing uses of the genre included the laughless comedies A Million Ways to Die in the West and The Ridiculous 6. But even when they suck, I do like the idea that genre is still out there.

Whether The Revenant wins Best Picture or not, as much as I like it is nowhere near contention for my personal top five or ten Westerns, but I hope the high profile it and Tarantino's last two movies (though he is practically a genre unto himself) have gotten is getting younger moviegoers or people who haven't explored Westerns much or at all to go back and discover the classics and then to dive deep and really have fun with what this particular subset of the artform has produced.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	rev.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	24257  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ahem, if I may. I'll do you one better and give you the 10 best. Well modern Westerns at least.

http://thefilmbox.org/top-10/ten-best-modern-westerns/

Ahem, if I may. I'll do you one better and give you the 10 best. Well modern Westerns at least.

http://thefilmbox.org/top-10/ten-best-modern-westerns/
That list blows, Camx.

First of all, I don't quite understand what the cut off is for "modern Western"? They are all post-2000 releases up until the top two, then it bounces all the way back to the first half of the 1990s. If the '90s are fair game, then I would put Jarmusch's Dead Man as way, way better than Ron Howard's The Missing (which was a huge disappointment, for me) or Minghella's overwrought Cold Mountain, which is a post-Civil War drama and barely a Western, anyway. Open Range is really good, if straightforward, and if you go through the thread you will see some MoFos have it on their lists. I didn't include it in the post above because it was released in 2003, the year before this thread was originally started. I would take Winterbottom's The Claim (2000) ahead of a few movies on that list as well, and while I know some people very generally consider it a cousin to the genre, as marvelous as it is No Country for Old Men isn't really a Western. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is a modern-day Western because of the themes, archetypes, and plotting, not just because they wear cowboy hats. Cormac McCarthy's story doesn't even include a single horse, fer cryin' out loud. Just because it is set in Texas and has gunplay does not make it a Western.

But as detailed much, much earlier in this thread, Tombstone, directed by George P. Cosmatos (the man who brought us Cobra and Rambo: First Blood Part II) is such a fu*king piece of *****. For this list to have it as the number one movie is beyond insulting. I understand for a generation of kids who were eight to fourteen years old in 1993 it was likely the first Western they ever saw, and if they saw it on the big screen it would have left an impression, but that doesn't mean it's good. It would be akin to a tween today saying the Johnny Depp Lone Ranger is the greatest Western ever made, having seen it and nothing else. They are very much allowed to believe that with all their little hearts, and I hope it leads them to stream Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or High Noon on Netflix, but empirically they are incorrect and The Lone Ranger is not a masterpiece.

Um thanks???/

I'm not sure if you read the piece or if yo just blew through the list. I decided to define modern as the post Unforgiven Westerns as the film was widely hailed at the time as having killed off the genre. The consensus among many since is that Westerns are long gone and old news. Audiences don't care for them and they don't get made much as a result.

I was trying to show that isn't the case and in fact some very high quality Westerns have been released in the years since. Especially in recent years as they've had a small renaissance.

Cold Mountain may be a bit iffy given the time period, I'll give you that, but if people are throwing The Revenant around which takes place well before the West was really around then I think the Civil War is fair game. Ahem, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly? That not a western?

And No Country is a total Western. Replace the horses with pick up trucks and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry you don't agree with my list. Good thing I didn't write it for you.

Setting is only one ingredient. The Revenant really belongs in a subgenre of Western, the Mountain Man picture like Jeremiah Johnson. Though the revenge and quest plotting of The Revenant are very much in keeping with the tradition of the Western.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a Western, yup. Lonely Are the Brave, even though set in the early 1960s, definitely. But No Country for Old Men substituting motorized vehicles for horses is not the problem. It's a crime film, closer to Noir than Western. You're not the only person to lump it in the Western genre and I'm not saying it isn't closer to a Western than The Hudsucker Proxy, because clearly it is, but for purposes of a genre list it doesn't fit perfectly.

But, to each their own. In any event, if you do include No Country for Old Men and put Tombstone above it, I have stopped listening to what you have to say, anyway.

But carry on, Broseph!

The wilderness setting and the revenge theme are what makes The Revenant a western. Agreed.

No Country is a crime film yes, but there's still a lot of classic western elements in there. A down and out grizzled war vet loner trying to make his way in the world. The characters fighting over a massive amount of money. It takes place in Texas. There's a hard boiled sheriff in town trying to clean things up. Plenty of gunplay of course. Themes of revenge as well and going outside the law when needed.

Still, glad to see another passionate fan of the genre! As you stated some really solid entries came out this last year.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The only ones I own are Young Guns I & II and The Man with No Name Trilogy.

I also have the Hatfields & McCoys TV series.

I love westerns.

Top 5
  1. Once Upon A Time In The West
  2. The Wild Bunch
  3. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  4. Dead Man
  5. Stagecoach

Others
  • The Big Country
  • Unforgiven
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • My Darling Clementine
  • The Searchers
  • High Noon
  • The Gunfighter
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • The Great Train Robbery

Love the Mann/Boetticher stuff from the '50s like Winchester '73, Seven Men From Now.

This might just do nobody any good.
Building up the myth: Once Upon a Time in the West.

Tearing it down: The Assassination of Jesse James, Unforgiven.

Subverting it: True Grit (2010), Dead Man.