how i met your mother finale review

Tools    

http://badmanbureau.com/2014/04/01/h...-himym-finale/

tl;dr it was bad

I’ve kept with How I Met Your Mother from the very beginning, sometimes against my better judgement (let’s pretend Season Five didn’t happen). But even if there were an occasional episode here or there that felt uninspired or dragged (and let’s be honest, the show at its worst was still better than 99% of what constitutes network “comedy”), you stuck around for the characters.

Josh Radnor plays Ted, the straight man, beautifully/perfectly/so-many-lys-i-don’t-have-enough-space-in-one-article(ly). He’s relatable, though not so ambiguous as to be dull. His pretentiousness is cringey yet endearing (and perhaps somewhat seeped in fact if his directorial debut Happythankyoumoreplease – a dramedy about “finding yourself” and cancer patients – serves as any indication). Barney, the ever-scheming ladies’ man, was sufficiently over the top so as not to be unlikable, but built three-dimensionally enough that you really believe the evolution he undergoes over the nine years. Robin enters the show as the apple of Ted’s eye, and soon becomes that for the audience as well. And, of course, every serious couple I know thinks they’re “totally” Marshall and Lily.

The problem with the ending is not that it’s sad… although, I guess in some ways it is. This isn’t Breaking Bad. This isn’t Oz. This isn’t The Wire. This is a CBS comedy. Not to minimalize the work here because I do believe that, front to back, this is one of the finer TV sitcoms to ever come around… but it’s still that. These shows work or don’t based on whether the audience grows attached to the characters. If you’ve stuck around with the cast of HIMYM for the past nine years, these people have become a part of your family. There’s a reason comedies generally end happily. Film is a much safer place to try bittersweet or downer endings; it’s a more story-driven medium and will only ever take an hour or two of your time. When it comes to television, you’ve spent the past decade inviting these people into your home. They’ve been there to make you laugh and to make you forget about the rest of the world. You want them to be okay. It’s not that the show owed us a happy ending – I believe that kind of thinking is wrong and combats the artistic method – but if you’re going against the grain, you have to do it well. I can’t think of many ways this episode could have been handled worse.

In just one hour, nine seasons of character development and build-up are tossed aside purely for the purpose of accommodating the creators’ (Carter Bays and Craig Thomas) original plan. Josh Radnor recently revealed that the show’s creators had not deviated from the ending crafted from the start of the show. In fact, the finale footage had been shot within the first two seasons to account for the teen actors’ aging. In early seasons, Robin was Ted’s only conceivable love interest and, had the show ended at that point, their union may have made for a perfectly good finale. But the characters have grown and the series has progressed. The program spends nine years proving that Robin and Ted aren’t right for one another. Whereas many fans were disappointed that the two were paired together on and off in later seasons, I thought it added to the show’s complexity. We knew that they wouldn’t end up together – we were told so in the first episode – but the show seemed to be just as much about as Ted’s long road to true love as it was about letting go of a woman we all knew wasn’t his soulmate. It seems the creators themselves may have had trouble letting go.

The beautiful story Ted tells his kids of how he found the love of his life is, in the end, whittled down to the words of his teenage daughter, “So basically you totally have the hots for Aunt Robin.” That’s what his children got out of it and that’s what it was all about. It wasn’t “How I Met This Perfect Woman That Was Your Mother” but “How I Veiled This Story of Meeting Your Mother Into My Asking Permission to Try Again With a Woman the Audience Knows I’m Not Meant to Be With.” (I’m sure at this point I’ll be the thousandth writer to make a play on the show’s name. Apologies.)

It’s a true testament to both Cristin Milioti and the writers who constructed her character that the mother was as beloved as she was. She saw very little screen time and, once the dust settled and we learned who the story was really about, she felt almost like an afterthought. That Ted would have the gall to sit his children down for the purposes of telling how he met their now deceased mother, and then barely mention her, verged on the vulgar and went against the sensitive character we had come to know.

In the hour that the HIMYM finale was on, I counted only one great scene – and for those of you who’ve watched it, I’m sure you already know what I’m talking about. Barney’s reaction to first seeing his baby daughter is emotional and raw. Neil Patrick Harris is a fantastic actor and does an unbelievable job pouring his heart out and proclaiming his love and devotion to her… but that beautiful moment was cheapened by his insisting, barely seconds before, that he didn’t want or care about her. It was like a switch flipped upon seeing her – which I’m sure was the point – but it felt inauthentic, and marked one of the few times Barney has been legitimately unlikable.

Barney gets pretty beaten up on this whole episode. This could be because he’s experienced more growth than any other character and the creators didn’t want to stray from their nine year-old blueprint. We’re given an entire season to really buy into Barney and Robin as a “meant to be” couple in a way Robin and Ted never were. That they divorce fifteen minutes into the last episode robs us of our fantasy of soul mates. This bleak ending may have been fitting for the Barney we met in Season One or Season Two, but not the one we’ve come to understand and love. He’s quite likely the show’s most complex character and, as you near the end of a relationship with someone you’ve come to love, you want them to turn out alright.

Ted may have had six years to grieve the passing of the mother of his children, but we were only given ten seconds to mourn. The show could have greatly benefited from another thirty minutes.

It’s a disappointing end to a wonderful series. Carter Bays and Craig Thomas did an impeccable job of crafting lovable and sustainable characters. But even the creators couldn’t know who these characters would become and how they would be embraced by audiences. They grew, we grew, but the original plan didn’t evolve with us.

I guess we can take solace in knowing that Ted didn’t abandon his two children to become a lumberjack.
0.5/5.0

FYI, I added the blog post text. We're pretty strict about anything resembling self-promotion here, but it's fine if on-topic, done in moderation, and people don't have to explicitly click through to the site.

yoda's awesome. WHAT'D YOU THINK OF THE REVIEW MAN?

FYI, I added the blog post text. We're pretty strict about anything resembling self-promotion here, but it's fine if on-topic, done in moderation, and people don't have to explicitly click through to the site.
got it, thanks.

I'm angry. I watched it and was like yeah ok this is sweet... daww this is perfect (umbrella scene)

Train goes by and then after that I hated it.

I thought the last couple of seasons were pretty bad overall, but the final episode is great! It's realistic, it's mature and it's much more refreshing than the typical "happily ever after" ending.

Sometimes things in life don't turn out the way people want to and you just can't do that much about it. You just have to embrace that and move on, even if life hits you harshly.

I feared the final episode would be too sentimental, but it ended up being poignant and meaningful.

This was a surprisingly good ending for a show that was dragging during the last couple of seasons, in my opinion. It gets very mixed reactions, but I thought it was perfect.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Hated it. Pissed me off, the more I think about it. That review is SPOT ON. The writers seemed to want to do a last-second changeup at the expense of their characters and the story they've been telling all this time. Really, really bungled and disappointing.

And for the record, that is not because of the sad elements. It was suggested in the last two episodes before the finale that Your Mother was doomed. Her death, I could deal with and even if that had been the last thing they told us, fine. Sad, but fine. But as the review posted above points out, they threw out the importance of How Ted Slept With Half Of New York City And Then Met Their Mother by tossing off her death and immediatly moving us on to his pursuing Robin again. And I also really hated the idea that after all they'd gone through, separately and together, that Barney and Robin failed in their marriage. Suggesting people don't grow and change. Great, great message, writers!

The only part of the finale I liked was the Fudge-related names for Marshall, and Robin's pre-emting of Lily crying, which was awesome because Alyson Hannigan crying is still the saddest thing in the Universe.

The last "changeup" didn't feel forced to me at all.
It was all the sentimental crap that was happening in the last couple of seasons (especially with Barney) that didn't make sense compared to what came before it. This episode actually made me feel like I was watching one of the good old episodes again. It was funny, it didn't deliver every single line of dialogue in a cartoonish or overly melodramatic manner and the characters we all knew so well, but somehow lost down the road of the series, were suddenly back.

The message of the final episode is also much deeper and more meaningful than the typical fairytale ending everyone was expecting (and seemingly would have preferred). This episode actually made sense. It's mature and has a certain wisdom to it. It's a shame so many people are criticizing it.

Hated it. Pissed me off, the more I think about it. That review is SPOT ON. The writers seemed to want to do a last-second changeup at the expense of their characters and the story they've been telling all this time. Really, really bungled and disappointing.

And for the record, that is not because of the sad elements. It was suggested in the last two episodes before the finale that Your Mother was doomed. Her death, I could deal with and even if that had been the last thing they told us, fine. Sad, but fine. But as the review posted above points out, they threw out the importance of How Ted Slept With Half Of New York City And Then Met Their Mother by tossing off her death and immediatly moving us on to his pursuing Robin again. And I also really hated the idea that after all they'd gone through, separately and together, that Barney and Robin failed in their marriage. Suggesting people don't grow and change. Great, great message, writers!

The only part of the finale I liked was the Fudge-related names for Marshall, and Robin's pre-emting of Lily crying, which was awesome because Alyson Hannigan crying is still the saddest thing in the Universe.
glad you liked the review. sorry the finale was so terrible.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The last "changeup" didn't feel forced to me at all.
It was all the sentimental crap that was happening in the last couple of seasons (especially with Barney) that didn't make sense compared to what came before it. This episode actually made me feel like I was watching one of the good old episodes again. It was funny, it didn't deliver every single line of dialogue in a cartoonish or overly melodramatic manner and the characters we all knew so well, but somehow lost down the road of the series, were suddenly back.

The message of the final episode is also much deeper and more meaningful than the typical fairytale ending everyone was expecting (and seemingly would have preferred). This episode actually made sense. It's mature and has a certain wisdom to it. It's a shame so many people are criticizing it.
Please explain the "maturity" of characters who don't change. Thanks in advance.

I enjoyed the finale quite a bit. I always liked the idea of Robin and Ted ending up together in the end, but I knew it could never happen because that's what they told you from the beginning.

I would agree with Cobpyth if they stopped with the mother dying, but showing Ted trying to date Robin again literally right after is stupid beyond words, and insulting to the mother character (not the fact that Ted tries to date again mind you). It feels the opposite of mature and meaningful. If anything it's the opposite of what you were saying here:

It totally was the fairytale ending for people who can't handle something difficult!

I would agree with Cobpyth if they stopped with the mother dying, but showing Ted trying to date Robin again literally right after is stupid beyond words, and insulting to the mother character (not the fact that Ted tries to date again mind you). It feels the opposite of mature and meaningful. If anything it's the opposite of what you were saying here:

It totally was the fairytale ending for people who can't handle something difficult!
For me, that was the mature and meaningful part, actually. Loss is part of life, but the people who are left behind should be able to move on. It's not insulting to the mother character. She went through the same thing. She also had a boyfriend that died and met Ted afterwards and was still able to have something meaningful happen to her, despite her grief. She gave it a place and pulled through.
It's kind of poetic that Ted is now left behind and that he is also able to see everything in perspective and go on. It's not a fairytale ending for people who can't handle something difficult. It's about dealing with difficulties and moving on.

In my opinion, that's a very mature message. It's not unnecessarily depressive and it's not fairytale-like at all. It's just life.

@Samsonite: What do you mean, characters who don't change? Every single one of them changes. Just not in an overly forced way, which was the direction it all seemed to be going in the last couple of seasons. I'm glad they came back to their senses in the finale.

For me, that was the mature and meaningful part, actually. Loss is part of life, but the people who are left behind should be able to move on. It's not insulting to the mother character. She went through the same thing. She also had a boyfriend that died and met Ted afterwards and was still able to have something meaningful happen to her, despite her grief. She gave it a place and pulled through.
It's kind of poetic that Ted is now left behind and that he is also able to see everything in perspective and go on. It's not a fairytale ending for people who can't handle something difficult. It's about dealing with difficulties and moving on.
I mentioned that I had no problem with Ted moving on, but the fact that it's Robin, someone with whom he has been shown to be clearly incompatible several times, makes no sense. If Ted was looking at things in perspective, he would date someone else. It's the grand gesture of settling, which is much like life as you say, but doesn't make it a smart move. And the mother's old boyfriend wasn't really implied to be someone super important, he just happened to propose to her.

I mentioned that I had no problem with Ted moving on, but the fact that it's Robin, someone with whom he has been shown to be clearly incompatible several times, makes no sense. If Ted was looking at things in perspective, he would date someone else. It's the grand gesture of settling, which is much like life as you say, but doesn't make it a smart move. And the mother's old boyfriend wasn't really implied to be someone super important, he just happened to propose to her.
I don't agree. Ted and Robin didn't work out because of reasons that didn't apply anymore when they were both older. He wanted kids and wanted to settle down. She wanted a carreer and didn't want/couldn't have children. They both aged and got what they wanted, but somehow, by coincidence, at a later age, fate put them both in situations where they could mean something to each other again as a friend or even more. That's what the significance of that last scene was.
Some unfortunate things happened, but after six years of loneliness and mourning, Ted was finally able to perhaps move on to something that didn't work out back when he was thirty. He met the perfect wife and was definitely happy with her, but it ended tragically (although it is appropriately softly shown in the finale). Going back to Robin made total sense when you behold the two situations they are in at the end.

Also, if we would have seen a whole series from the mother's side of the story, I'm sure we would've thought her former lover was an important part of her life. I definitely think that analogy was on purpose and for me that worked. It provoked a warm, mature and realistic life message.