Your favorite obscure or semi-obscure movies.

Tools    

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum because I wanted to get some movie recommendations. You see the problem is that although I like movies, I kind of have high standards as to what movies I think are good. I didn't bother watching any of the new X-Men movies for instance, nor the Star Wars prequels. I did watch one of the newer Batman movies that came out with Heath Ledger as the Joker, and though it wasn't quite bad enough for me to walk out of the theater I didn't really care for it and rated it a four out of ten. I think I just don't like the Hollywood formula of taking an already existing franchise and continuing to churn out the same reliable product. Thus I'd thought I'd ask you all to recommend me your favorite obscure or semi-obscure movies, it doesn't have to be something that no one has ever heard of, but not like a Micheal Bay Transformers movie.or something that everyone knows about.

A few of my favorite semi-obscure movies organized by genre are

Horror: Phantasm (1979) Directed and Written by Don Coscarelli.

Drama: Storytelling (2001) Directed and Written by Todd Solondz

Fantasy: Flesh and Blood (1985) Directed by Paul Verhoeven Written by Gerard Soeteman and Paul Verhoeven. Though I don't know if this is a "fantasy" movie really, there are swords and castles in it though.

Science Fiction: Summer Time Machine Blues (2005) Directed by Katsuyuki Motohiro Written by Makota Ueda.

Action: Charlie Varrick (1973) Directed by Don Siegal Written by John Reese.

mine is
Spider Baby (1964)

What, don't tell me you don't like how every new Hollywood movie trailer has the Inception theme music playing with only a slight variation.

Here's my obscure jem for you though: Blue (2002) Directed by Hiroshi Ando.

The Stickup (2002) really impressed me. There is a twist in the plot that you don't see coming. The film fools the viewer right from the offset.

Looks like three really good movies so far. Everyone please keep your recommendations coming.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Love Exposure (2008) written and directed by Sion Sono, is one of the best films I've ever seen, yet it does seem to have slipped under the radar a little bit.

I looked up that movie CiCi and it looks really good and funny. This thread has been a great success, I have four movies that actually seem good to watch now. Hopefully more people will share theirs as well.

Coherence sat on my favorites list for quite a while, and while it didn't stay on there for long I still think it's a fantastically executed mind bending thriller.

The General
Again it depends on what you call obscure. This is another movie that I believe deserves more attention.
It only grossed about $1,200,000.
Going to give this a go now.Let's see.

Coherence sat on my favorites list for quite a while, and while it didn't stay on there for long I still think it's a fantastically executed mind bending thriller.
I tried watching this once but I was too tired to invest myself in it.