Washington Redskins are changing their name and logo

Tools    

Pathetic. Grow up America.
I guess that’s what we’re doing.

The trick is not minding
Not sure what “growing up” has to do with it, as all that statement does is dismiss the concerns of native Americans who felt a team whose nickname was based off of their skin color was insensitive.

⬆️ Well, maybe “growing up” in terms of becoming mature enough to respect the viewpoint of another even if one thinks it’s “pathetic”.

They should rename themselves 'Washington Watergates' ha get it. Hey that's not bad!
Good one! I'm partial to the Washington Wussies though. It rolls off one's tongue, and it's equally as apt...

This thin skinned SJW nonsense is like an annoying noise that won't go away. It's not evolution, it's an example of people being so soft to where they can't deal with life on life's terms.

Not all Native Americans are/were offended, not all black people are offended by the Aunt Jemima syrup bottle, but I guess in the land of the free there should be an asterisk explaining "only freedom of speech which doesn't offend anyone whatsoever".

I'm also strongly against all of the pc cancel culture, but I get why Redskins is offensive. That being said, it should be up to Native Americans to decide. I don't think Braves or Chiefs falls into the same category of offensive. I also get the Aunt Jemima issue because of the history of the name. I don't get the Uncle Ben uproar as to me it's no different than Betty Crocker.

Makes no sense. Cleveland Indians logo was SOOOOOOO AWESOME! Like it looked incredible on a baseball hat. We're having similar issues here in Vancouver (Canada). They are now trying to destroy a statue of 'Gassy Jack'. Guy who founded the town known as Gastown here. Basically a modern day tech hub with awesome places to eat. Reason? He married some super young Native girl. Did you know the age of consent back then was like 12? Point of the story is it was "BACK THEN" - not now. We live in a different world. Neither opressing Natives / minorities or colonizing will work. Both parties need to understand this. I will really miss that Cleveland Indians logo guys - It's an outstanding looking piece of artwork.

The trick is not minding
This thin skinned SJW nonsense is like an annoying noise that won't go away. It's not evolution, it's an example of people being so soft to where they can't deal with life on life's terms.

Not all Native Americans are/were offended, not all black people are offended by the Aunt Jemima syrup bottle, but I guess in the land of the free there should be an asterisk explaining "only freedom of speech which doesn't offend anyone whatsoever".
A bit of a straw man response there. But since You brought up the Freedom of speech I will point out it has never been considered an absolute.
The asterisk you speak of actually Is
“Not free from the consequences”
Anyways, this isn’t about freedom of speech.

The trick is not minding
I'm also strongly against all of the pc cancel culture, but I get why Redskins is offensive. That being said, it should be up to Native Americans to decide. I don't think Braves or Chiefs falls into the same category of offensive. I also get the Aunt Jemima issue because of the history of the name. I don't get the Uncle Ben uproar as to me it's no different than Betty Crocker.
I agree with all the above. But the native Americans have been pretty vocal about the name change.
Cancel culture is getting out of hand. It doesn’t help the situation and just causes more conflict.

The trick is not minding
History getting flushed down the toilet a lot these days.
Well, that’s a little hyperbolic.
Statues and a football teams nickname isn’t “history” in any sense of the word.

I had responded to you Wylde but deleted it because everyone's entitled to their opinion. Which is the point. If the franchise wants to cave from the pressure that's fine, it's just a shame and a waste of energy and helps nothing whatsoever. America needs to grow up, cause were now children that get bent out of shape over trivial things.

The trick is not minding
I had responded to you Wylde but deleted it because everyone's entitled to their opinion. Which is the point. If the franchise wants to cave from the pressure that's fine, it's just a shame and a waste of energy and helps nothing whatsoever. America needs to grow up, cause were now children that get bent out of shape over trivial things.
I had seen it, but it’s ok. I wasn’t offended haha. I get where you’re coming from, and I’m measuring my responses appropriately so as to not to sound condescending, and my hope is they aren’t coming off that way.
I’m open to discussion about it

In some ways I agree with all of your guys post...

The idea of changing past history by erasing it is a dangerous trend. However the 'Redskins' isn't a compliment to native Americans, and should've been changed a half century ago. Not sure why Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben brands are now offensive, I still see plenty of crackers on the supermarket shelves, I think I'm offended

I have to agree with Tongo on this.

Not that I don't understand the desire to change the name - it's been debated for quite a while (decades, I think)...

But they shouldn't change it NOW. Only because changing it now makes it appear that it's only a cave in and an appeasement to the cancel culture.

Opportunists are seizing on the opportunity (obviously) of a new social pressure - there's a gun to society's head, the bullet is a flag that pops out and labels you or your organization "RACIST!" if you do not capitulate to whatever demands are made.

(We just watched the mayor of NYC defund the police by a BILLION dollars to try to appease arsonists, looters, rapists and murderers that tore the town apart... and in the midst of a crime wave where shootings and murders are sky-rocketing! And what does he get for it? The protests and the crime only increase as the protesters now say getting exactly what they demanded, despite how this action will ultimately devastate the city, is not nearly enough!)

Change the name of the team when the time is right - but the time is not right right now because it will only be seen as yet another of hundreds of companies caving to a trend - the same trend that is tearing down statues of abolitionists, soldiers who won the civil war and memorials to black troops because the people committing the destruction don't know what an abolitionist is, or what winning the civil war meant (or even what years it was fought) or they see a black person in sculpture and some group has taught them to automatically become offended without even knowing the context - the trend is that groups of criminals organized under an alleged agenda see a statue or work of art and only want to destroy it because it is there.

Caving to that kind of mindlessness which seems to be the prevailing driving force right now makes right now the wrong time.