Does Michael Bay get too much hate?

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Some, sure, but it’s like a giving J.J. a little s**t for lense flares or Wes Anderson for his insistence on symmetry or pastels. I’m not trying to be mean spirited about it (even if I don’t particularly like the majority of his work).

I also just compared Michael Bay to Wes Anderson so that’s gotta be a penalty, right? (that was a bit mean spirited).

I saw the first Transformers movie - and never watched another one.
I've never seen a Fast and Furious film (I'm turned off by any focus on cars, I'd almost rather watch a "western"!)

I have to admit that Armageddon is one of my guilty pleasures.

But Pearl Harbor would end up on that "Historical accuracy" thread we've been talking about as one of the biggest offenders for presenting a film about a historical event, but changing facts so drastically as to dishonor many of the real heroes involved.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
But there are other movies where they take a true story and change so much of it around for entertainment purposes and those movies are not knocked for it. For example, in JFK (1991) they introduce all things that didn't happen in the real story for dramatic license, and in Titanic (1997), they have an old woman who was a living survivor with a romantic story to tell, after the Titanic was found, which didn't happen, etc.

So why does Pearl Harbor get knocked for going too far?

I just would like to ask people who give sarcasm ans irony to this director, i personally like all of his movies, he s a tried and tested action director, why don t u appreciate his colaboration since jerry bruckheimer and don simpson days, he is just the same, he s done great action movies, in bad boys and the rock and others, ringo lam comes to mind with this type of action direction so why the sarcasm for micheal???

Did we not already have a thread on this type of subject?

Here ya go.

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's simply because Pearl Harbor is a bad movie on top of that.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, rambond even posted in that thread already.

But yeah, to summarise why he's criticised - because he and his films are broadly representative of the worst tendencies of Hollywood filmmaking with their focus on aggressively excessive spectacle at the expense of everything that is generally considered to be a sign of high-quality filmmaking (e.g. acting, writing, technical competence, etc.)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Did we not already have a thread on this type of subject?

Well I just saw Pain & Gain I would say it's a mixed movie for me. Some elements I really like, and some are kind of an head shaker.

I think Michael Bay might be a good James Bond director. He loves his action scenes, and his goodlooking women in movies, so maybe he would be suited for James Bond. The kind of Bond movie he would make though would be more of Roger Moore, or Connery type though, compared to what we have to today.

First 2 Bad Boys films ain't bad imo, also I liked the first 2 Transformers films, wasn't a fan of the 3rd one though.

Haven't seen Armageddon in years.

I might need to rewatch Pearl Harbor.

Everyone (who cares about directors) has different taste in directors, I personally don't hate the guy as much as others do.

My two favorites are the ones least Michael Bay-ish 13 Hours and Pain & Gain.
I used to love the Rock and Armageddon, but each time I now reach for the dvd from my shelf, the cringe dialogue, epic pans, and aaaall the over the top stuff rushes through my brain and I opt for something a little less crass. My system used to be able to handle the Bay-ness, but now my tolerance is just too puny.

Oh really I thought that out of all his work, The Rock aged the best. As far as camera work goes, that one is much better shot compared to 13 Hours I think.

A lot of people criticize bay that his action scenes are somewhat difficult to follow though cause he skips ahead a lot. However, I was watching Battleship Potemkin not long and Sergei Eisenstein does the same thing in his action like the Odessa steps sequence, or the big shootout in October. And Eistenstein is haled as a master of montage, but when bay does montage in his action scenes he is called an amateur for it...

I like The Rock, Bad Boys, Pain & Gain and the first half of The Island.
He just pissed off the wrong generation by ruining Transformers, then he ignored their complaints and kept going with the franchise.

Word on the net is, there's a good chance he will be directing DC Comics Lobo.

He gets too much hate,i love his work, on:
Bad boys
The rock
Transformers

I like The Rock, Bad Boys, Pain & Gain and the first half of The Island.
He just pissed off the wrong generation by ruining Transformers, then he ignored their complaints and kept going with the franchise.

Word on the net is, there's a good chance he will be directing DC Comics Lobo.
Shame that only the first half of the island is good, the rest is meh....it could have been a classic tale

I like The Rock, Pain and Gain, and The Island the best. I hate the Bad Boys movies and think they are two of his worst. I kind of like the first Transformers, but the problem with it is, is that it's a Michael Bay movie trying to be a transformers movie, rather being a Transformers movie, if that makes sense.

I like The Rock, Pain and Gain, and The Island the best. I hate the Bad Boys movies and think they are two of his worst. I kind of like the first Transformers, but the problem with it is, is that it's a Michael Bay movie trying to be a transformers movie, rather being a Transformers movie, if that makes sense.
Why u didn t like the first bad boys? I think it s amazing

Oh well the biggest problem for Bad Boys is I find the dialogue to be really terrible. The plot is very forgettable to and very generic. Sometimes that's okay if other elements in an action movie are good, but the dialogue just ruins it for me on the couple of viewings I've had of it.

Just lines like you drive slow enough to drive miss Daisy are so cheesy that they ruin the movie for me. And during the action scenes it keeps constantly cutting back them saying these lines and it gets in the way of the action I find.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Controversial Opinion
I actually am a fan of his work, he has done some pretty good movies, I know he has bad ones, but when he hits, he hits.
His good films include:
Bad Boys
Bad Boys 2 (Not just because Nick Frost says so)
The Rock
The Island
The 1st 2 Transformers movies
Pain and Gain
He was a student of Tony Scott, and you can see that because their cinematography styles are very similar. Their is a good quote, "Film is subjective", every person has stuff they like and dislike, I like action films, some may not, that's ok.