The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Also had Star Wars at #3 and Back to the Future at #10.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
No it's not.

I removed the original Back to the Future from my shortlist in favour of the second film in the series, though it too got cut from the list before it was finalized. I still need to rewatch those two to determine which one I actually like more.

Seen: 84/96
My List: 18

Just because a movie was made over 40 years ago, doesn't mean it's classic.
I think a lot regard it as "good" because it's old... War Of The Worlds reminds me of the same thoughts. People rank it as classic... tends to make a lot of lists... but it's simply the age of the movie rather than how well made it is.

I've never been able to get into 2001.
Bland and boring at the start... and nonsense for the rest of it.

I did not have BTTF on my list. None from the trilogy appeared on my list. I really enjoy the first one though and the second can be decent fun, while the third crashed completely with a rewatch for me...

I did not have BTTF on my list. None from the trilogy appeared on my list. I really enjoy the first one though and the second can be decent fun, while the third crashed completely with a rewatch for me...

BTTF3 Kid = Trilogy Ruined

Star Wars did though, even if I prefer the other two films over it. It started something that cannot be denied and changed the way not only sci/fi movies are done, but films in general. It deserves to be on the list more than any other film in the franchise.
^
This.

Again, along with Empire, I had hoped Star Wars IV: A New Hope would be in the Top 3. Alas, twas not to be! Still, glad it's high on the list, but I can't see Back to the Future beating it out. Don't get me wrong, I love all the BthF movies, but they had nowhere near the effect that any of the original Star Wars films had on me. In fact, it took a second trip to the cinema to see BthF before I felt love for the movie. I think the first trip had too much talking in the audience and too many candy-smacking, crying babies.

Anyway, Star Wars IV: A New Hope made #2 on my list. This movie was a game-changer, inspiring films that were very good to films that stank, but was almost single-handed in reviving (and improving) the Sci-Fi film genre. It's effect cannot be underappreciated. Plus, I was in awe the whole running time and couldn't wait to see it again. Saw it seven times, including the re-release (still the original, without George's tampering).

My list so far:
List so far:
#1 Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back .8
#2 Star Wars VI: A New Hope .6
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#5 Close Encounter of the Third Kind .17
#6 Aliens .12
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#12 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial .21
#13 Planet of the Apes .18
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#16 Twelve Monkeys .14
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan .35
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#21 The Matrix .11
#22 The Terminator .10
#23 Logan's Run .71
#24 RoboCop .28
#25 The Fifth Element .34

I think the creepiest thing is in BTTF2 though...

Doc Brown has a "sleep-inducing alpha rhythm generator" called EZ Sleep that knocks people out for 1 hour.
He used it on Marty Jr. to complete the mission... but using it on Jennifer, the battery is almost dead and it doesn't work properly.

Doc Brown has an electronic Rohypnol machine.

With a flat battery.

What's he been using that for?

I think the creepiest thing is in BTTF2 though...

Doc Brown has a "sleep-inducing alpha rhythm generator" called EZ Sleep that knocks people out for 1 hour.
He used it on Marty Jr. to complete the mission... but using it on Jennifer, the battery is almost dead and it doesn't work properly.

Doc Brown has an electronic Rohypnol machine.

With a flat battery.

What's he been using that for?

A system of cells interlinked
The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars, Back to the Future, and A Clockwork Orange were all on my list, sitting at 8, 16, 9, and 7, respectively.

It's impossible to overrate 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I could not agree with you more. You can not overrate the best Sci-Fi movie ever made. 2001 might actually place 1st and 2nd. 1 spot is just not enough.

Just because a movie was made over 40 years ago, doesn't mean it's classic.
I think a lot regard it as "good" because it's old... War Of The Worlds reminds me of the same thoughts. People rank it as classic... tends to make a lot of lists... but it's simply the age of the movie rather than how well made it is.
I'm afraid you're reading us 2001 fans completely wrong. We regard it as "good" because it's one of the most visionary, profound and beautiful films ever made, not simply because it's old and therefore classic.

Relatively, there are almost no "old" films that I regard as highly as 2001: A Space odyssey (or that are regarded as highly in general), so your argument about its age determining its perceived quality simply makes no sense from whichever way you look at it.

I've never been able to get into 2001.
Bland and boring at the start... and nonsense for the rest of it.
I can at least understand the "boring" part, but I'll never understand how anyone can think it's "bland" or "nonsense".

I'm sure I'll never convince you of thinking of this film in a different way than you are now, but at least you could respect the opinions of the film's fans a bit more, instead of wrongly arguing that their opinions are misplaced.

Which of the remaining films do you hope wins, by the way? I'm guessing The Thing?

Don't get me wring though, I'm not trying to disrespect fans of the film... but, I get the impression with 2001 that it's a default go-to-movie when talking about sci-fi.
Like, if someone asks someone to name an Arnie movie, the default answer of the populous is T2. Not The Terminator, or Predator, True Lies etc... it's T2 99% of the time.

For me, 2001 is famous for being famous.

Edit/addition: Like Clockwork... it's famous for being infamous. Made a splash when it came out because of its content... but actually has little redeeming quality.

But, of course, these are just my opinions

Edit/addition: Like Clockwork... it's famous for being infamous. Made a splash when it came out because of its content... but actually has little redeeming quality.
You have a point that those films being infamous may have helped them becoming famous, but I severely disagree with your opinion that both of these films have little redeeming quality.
In my opinion, both films become even better and more interesting when you look past the things that superficially have made both films infamous at its time and actually observe the ideas that are communicated through them. I think those ideas still stand firmly today.

---------------------

I have all of the remaining four films on my list, so I would be happy with either of them getting the top spot, but two of them are placed significantly higher (they're my #1 and #2 actually) so naturally I'd like them to become number one a bit more than the other two.