Whats the last great documentary you saw?

Tools    

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Paradise Lost is one of those films I recommend to everyone, regardless of how much the subject matter disgusts them. It's really not about the killings, that would a just a run of the mill (though tragic for the family) crime documentary. Interesting, but nothing you wouldn't encounter in one of the many hour long true crime documentaries that seem to grow like bacteria in the petri dishes of the documentary channels. The tragedy comes afterwards.

The only film I can remember seeing that actually had me open-mouthed like a cliche. Could not believe what I had heard in that courtroom.

*EDIT* Sopie Scholl isn't a documentary. Great film and I definately recommend it to those who've not seen it. But it's not a documentary.
Thanks for the update for Paradise Lost 3, I've seen 1 and 2 and thought they were excellent.
As for Sophie Scholl: The Final Days is the drama you are talking about.
I was mentioning the German documentary Sophie Scholl.
Same goes for Battle Of Algiers, which was made as a documentary and a movie , as well.

Ah, I see. I did do a quick wiki just to see if I could find a documentary, but 'Final Days' was all that showed up. I see that the pic on that Bluray is the same/very similar to that of the drama, too. Thanks for clearing that up.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Just finished watching Eugene Jarekis' Reagan on HBO.

Hot Coffee looks interesting. I am considering checking it out...but i know I will probably just walk away completely pissed off if I do

Interviews Before Execution: A Chinese Talk Show.

For those who saw it, there's been an interesting development.

China's Execution Show Axed After West Takes Notice
(Newser) – Hit Chinese TV program Interviews Before Execution has been abruptly canceled—after five years on the air and just about a week of attention from the West. The show, which reached 40 million viewers every Saturday night, featured glamorous host Ding Yu speaking to condemned criminals days, hours, or even just minutes before their execution. Officials at China's Legal TV say the show, which just started popping up in Western press for the first time in advance of a BBC documentary on the show that aired last night, has been axed because of "internal problems," ABC reports.

Some 55 crimes carry the death penalty in China, but Interviews focused only on murderers. In an interview with the BBC, Ding denied that the program was exploitative. "Some viewers may consider it cruel to ask a criminal to do an interview when they are about to be executed. On the contrary, they want to be heard," she said. "Some criminals I interviewed told me: 'I'm really very glad. I said so many things in my heart to you at this time. In prison, there was never a person I was willing to talk to about past events.'"
http://www.newser.com/story/141650/c...es-notice.html

If you've not seen it, try and find it.

Haven't seen a great one in a while
Probably Deliver us From Evil whicth was truly disturbing

I loved watching "Religulous" with Bill Maher. It touched on a lot of great points in my opinion and was funny and entertaining also.

I loved watching "Religulous" with Bill Maher. It touched on a lot of great points in my opinion and was funny and entertaining also.
Religolous truly is an amazing documentary one of my favorites

I completely agree! I think that Bill made it lighthearted even with everyone taking it so seriously and that it made it almost more like a movie than a documentary because of it.

Religulous was a good doc, but I wouldn't call it great. One thing that got on my nerves was Bill's usual smarminess, and this is coming from someone who tends to agree with his political views.

I hate documentaries that take a side. Drives me nuts.

Restrepo was the best documentary I've ever seen.

Religulous was a good doc, but I wouldn't call it great. One thing that got on my nerves was Bill's usual smarminess, and this is coming from someone who tends to agree with his political views.

I didn't really feel that while watching the documentary, I could see a bit of cockiness but I kind of interpreted it more as knowledge or confidence because I feel like people who have a religous view also carry that attitude in that documentary which maybe made him act like that? Thats the only documentary I've seen by him so maybe I need to educate myself more on his personality in them?

I hate documentaries that take a side. Drives me nuts.

I actually like them a lot because I personally think on both sides and see if I can configure more arguments than the person in the documentary even touched. I think it can even broaden at least my perspective if not everyone elses as long as they aren't stuck in their opinions.

Oh yes, Hoop Dreams was very good.

The most affecting doc I've ever seen would have to be Streetwise, about homeless kids in Seattle. Very powerful. I'm pretty sure it's still on Youtube, if anyone is interested in checking it out. Alternatively, you might find it at one of those free doc sites around the net.

I didn't really feel that while watching the documentary, I could see a bit of cockiness but I kind of interpreted it more as knowledge or confidence because I feel like people who have a religous view also carry that attitude in that documentary which maybe made him act like that? Thats the only documentary I've seen by him so maybe I need to educate myself more on his personality in them?
Nah, he's always like that. It's part of his schtick. I can take it in small doses and he is often amusing in his smartass way, but I can imagine how much more condescending he must seem to those with opposing viewpoints.