Whats the last great documentary you saw?

Tools    

http://ryanestabrooks.com
I would have to say Magic Trip. They were able to use real footage shot in the 60's by the Merry Pranksters and it was pretty fascinating, a true snapshot of that era. But then again, I'm a die-hard 60's fanatic so...

Inside Job. Should give it a watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No matter what anyone else thinks, I pray everyone should see Inside Job at least twice. One doesn't have to pay that much attention, but enough will... I hope.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Burma VJ: Reporting From a Closed Country An amazing doc. that I hope people will watch. I think it's important to know how other countries live and what life is like for them. I have friends from Burma (Myanmar) and I couldn't help but thinking about them the entire time and how glad I am that they are out of there, but I know they miss thier country very much. This is about the DVB which is a group of underground reporters who illegally record life in Burma and send it out so that the rest of the world can see what the Myanmar goverment does not want them to.

I doubt this got much love because people put their politics first and didn't see it, but I would have to say Restreppo. What a brilliant job of humanizing the soldiers over there in Afghanistan, demonstrating the futility of their jobs, and exposing just how impossible it is to conquer a culture without first understanding it.

TBH, I've yet to hear a bad word about Restreppo. If anything, I'd say it's overrated. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good, I just don't see anything special about it.

Orwell rolls in his grave

A few whoppers from the film: In the hey day of Communist Russia the return rate for incumbents in the Politburo was 92%. The current return rate for US Congress is 98%.

I can't recall the exact wording but a quote from Goebbels: the success of a propaganda systems depends on the illusion of diversity while maintining a single point of view and everyone following in lock step.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
" Cocaine Cowboys 1 and 2 "
Good pick!

I hope one day we see a full feature film about the life of Griselda Blanco.

When that woman dies (if she hasn't already) there is a seat reserved for her in Hell next to Hitler.

Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine (2003)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Ghost Bird

Whether or not you give a damn about woodpeckers this is a fantastic doc. Outside a small town in Arkansas an ivory billed woodpecker, believed to be extinct, is supposedly spotted. The doc plays like a mystery with both sides giving reason as to why the bird does or does not exist. One thing is certain the ivory billed is a symbol of hope to many and considered the holy-grail of birds.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I really dug this doc, having never seen the first two it was all new info to me.

Suspect's Reviews

Enemies of the People - watch it!

"Over one and a half million Cambodians were killed under the Khmer Rouge regime's four years in power. Reporter Thet Sambath, whose father, mother and brother were among the victims, decided to solve, why the genocide occurred. During ten years, he developed a bond of trust with former Khmers, from the low-rank soldiers to the right hand of Pol Pot, in order that they would eventually tell him the truth behind the bloodshed. The result is one of the most horrific documentaries in history. Sambath brings the viewer to the rice fields, which conceal the mass graves of the "Killing Fields" underneath. Sambath also visits Nuon Chean, "Brother Number Two" Pol Pot, at his home before his arrest in 2007. Elderly farmers describe, how one should slit open a carotid artery to be able to execute tens of men, women and children daily. Ultimately, Nuon Chea decides to talk about the genocide.
Petter Nissinen | Translation by Heikki Kareranta"
docpoint.info
Ok, check this out - S 21: The Kmer Rouge Killing Machine

I just spent 3 hours compiling a list of favorite documentaries for your enjoyment. Apparently my work is not appreciated as the moderator (Loner ) chose to close this thread since another one exists somewhere.
I will not waste my time making any more lists. There were a hundred good documentaries mentioned and gone to waste.

I really dug this doc, having never seen the first two it was all new info to me.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Paradise Lost is one of those films I recommend to everyone, regardless of how much the subject matter disgusts them. It's really not about the killings, that would a just a run of the mill (though tragic for the family) crime documentary. Interesting, but nothing you wouldn't encounter in one of the many hour long true crime documentaries that seem to grow like bacteria in the petri dishes of the documentary channels. The tragedy comes afterwards.

The only film I can remember seeing that actually had me open-mouthed like a cliche. Could not believe what I had heard in that courtroom.

*EDIT* Sopie Scholl isn't a documentary. Great film and I definately recommend it to those who've not seen it. But it's not a documentary.