Whats the last great documentary you saw?

Tools    

Sudoku Blackbelt
Wow, I can't believe I forgot this one:

This fellow, Richard Proenneke, after he retired, went up to
Alaska, to Twin Lakes, or thereabouts (it escapes me at the moment).

He stayed at a friend's cabin while he built his own. He built everything with his own two hands. Hauled stone in a canoe for his chimney, cut sod for the roof, just everything.

Heck, he only brought the heads of his tools, and made the handles when he got there.

Long story short, he stayed for 30 years.

Luckily for us, he documented it with an 8mm. I know it may sound boring, but it's just mesmerizeng to watch this guy work.

The Lightbulb Conspiracy (2010)

Wow, this was great , thanks for the suggestion. More please!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I started watching Earthflight on tv recently, as a bird lover this is an amazing show.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Watched a couple of neat doc's yesterday.

Dirt the Movie (2009)

Blue Water White Death (1971)

totally mesmerizing. like spending a couple hours with the real life hooper from jaws.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Wow, I can't believe I forgot this one:

This fellow, Richard Proenneke, after he retired, went up to
Alaska, to Twin Lakes, or thereabouts (it escapes me at the moment).

He stayed at a friend's cabin while he built his own. He built everything with his own two hands. Hauled stone in a canoe for his chimney, cut sod for the roof, just everything.

Heck, he only brought the heads of his tools, and made the handles when he got there.

Long story short, he stayed for 30 years.

Luckily for us, he documented it with an 8mm. I know it may sound boring, but it's just mesmerizeng to watch this guy work.
I second this one-- absolutely amazing! There's also a book with his journal writings that recently was published that seems really compelling.

Sudoku Blackbelt
Here's the first 10 minutes, which is surprising. I didn't think something like this would slip through the copyright & various other infringement cracks.

At 4:00 or so, he starts in with tool handles. Then the foundation of his cabin.

After that...oh, just watch it. It's something to see.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Sounds like that guy is living the dream. In truth we would probably all be much happier out in a log Cabin somewhere without all the mod cons, mobile phone, computers, TVs, Hussle and bussle of daily life.

To quote Fight Club; "After the first month I didnt even miss TV".

Sudoku Blackbelt
What I admire most is his personal drive. I mean, hauling logs, stone, sod, etc., every day, without pause.

There's no one there to push him. He's doing all this on his own.

During a snowstorm, he goes outside and shovels snow every couple of hours, from his cabin down to the lake, so he doesn't get snowed in, and so he can keep a hole punched in the ice. That's surviving at its most base.

I don't if I could do that. He's got a cabin full of food, plenty of water, plenty of firewood. I think if that's me, I'm probably laying low.

When I was a kid, my least favorite chores were getting wood and shoveling snow.

Manny "the shark man" Puig in his own documentary:
Ultimate Predator!

Definitely a testament to "don't judge a book by its cover".

paradise lost

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills is indeed a great documentary. As I've said before, it's one of the only times I can remember watching something and actually being open mouthed at what I was seeing/hearing.

It's not an easy watch, but I do think that it's worth it, as well as being something that people should watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Cameraman: The Life & Work of Jack Cardiff

His work with the Archers is incomparable, and he did a fine job of directing Sons and Lovers. One of the first films I remember seeing was The Vikings, which he lit for Richard Fleischer.

That's a great documentary. I'd recommend it to anyone with even a passing love of cinema and especially to those with an interest in cinematography.

Enemies of the People - watch it!

"Over one and a half million Cambodians were killed under the Khmer Rouge regime's four years in power. Reporter Thet Sambath, whose father, mother and brother were among the victims, decided to solve, why the genocide occurred. During ten years, he developed a bond of trust with former Khmers, from the low-rank soldiers to the right hand of Pol Pot, in order that they would eventually tell him the truth behind the bloodshed. The result is one of the most horrific documentaries in history. Sambath brings the viewer to the rice fields, which conceal the mass graves of the "Killing Fields" underneath. Sambath also visits Nuon Chean, "Brother Number Two" Pol Pot, at his home before his arrest in 2007. Elderly farmers describe, how one should slit open a carotid artery to be able to execute tens of men, women and children daily. Ultimately, Nuon Chea decides to talk about the genocide.
Petter Nissinen | Translation by Heikki Kareranta"
docpoint.info

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Cave of Forgotten Dreams

The film is fascinating but elicits more questions than it answers. I halfway thought that Herzog turned the whole thing into a shaggy dog story with his postscript about albino alligators.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

The film is fascinating but elicits more questions than it answers. I halfway thought that Herzog turned the whole thing into a shaggy dog story with his postscript about albino alligators.
Watched this last year Just it

Senna

Watched The Last Waltz again this week. Love it