Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

What are you implying?
I just thought it was funny that virtually all your picks lined up with the top 250, which is itself an extremely easy means of determining which films are "most overrated".
Oh lol. Yeah kinda agree though a lot of my favorite films are high on imdb.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, like The Dark Knight isn't actually the fourth-best movie ever made or anything.

But seriously, that is a problem with this thread where people's answers can't help but get more than a little repetitive. No movie is perfect and even the greatest ones ever made aren't going to work for everyone.

A system of cells interlinked
Star wars. Cant believe the craze around it! Kids going crazy about it, i can believe that. But 40 year old adults? I find it a little hard to believe.

EDIT: Thought this was a new post. Realized this is zombie thread.
Probably because for a good portion of our lives when we were kids, Star Wars was everything to us. We had Star Wars sheets, lunch boxes, collector cards, toys, clothes, records....All my friends and I did at recess at school was pretend we were in the Star Wars universe, as we ran around getting into X-Wing vs Tie Fighter dog fights, having light saber battles, all the while calling our teachers nerf-herders. Good times!

So, nostalgia has a ton to do with the older fans' enthusiasm, I would think. That said, mine is pretty much all but extinguished at this point in time.

Arsenic and Old Lace
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Mr Deeds Goes to Town
The Searchers
Tokyo Story
Vertigo
Apocaylpse Now
Shakespeare in Love
Aviator
The Kings Speech

Yeah, like The Dark Knight isn't actually the fourth-best movie ever made or anything.

But seriously, that is a problem with this thread where people's answers can't help but get more than a little repetitive. No movie is perfect and even the greatest ones ever made aren't going to work for everyone.
Quite true. Also certain films as i said feel like theyre being called out more as overrated than actually praised like Titanic, Avatar, and Frozen. Maybe its because i spend more time online than interacting with folks irl but I never see much love for such films.

That said I stand that Your name is a legitimately bad film

Arsenic and Old Lace
Mr Deeds Goes to Town
The Searchers
Tokyo Story
Vertigo
Apocaylpse Now
Shakespeare in Love
Aviator
The Kings Speech
I thought everyone **** on Shakespeare in Love because it won movie of the year over Saving Private Ryan or something.

Probably because for a good portion of our lives when we were kids, Star Wars was everything to us. We had Star Wars sheets, lunch boxes, collector cards, toys, clothes, records....All my friends and I did at recess at school was pretend we were in the Star Wars universe, as we ran around getting into X-Wing vs Tie Fighter dog fights, having light saber battles, all the while calling our teachers nerf-herders. Good times!

So, nostalgia has a ton to do with the older fans' enthusiasm, I would think. That said, mine is pretty much all but extinguished at this point in time.

I understand that part, its all to do with childhood. Lucky I was just born outside of that fad. By the time i grew up and was able to understand movies, Lion King and Toy Story had come along! But my first movie ever was T2 on VHS! Love that flick!

And to be fair, for me, Batman Begins alone is stronger movie than Dark Knight. It was a perfect base for the other two to succeed.

You know even though i grew up with it I have no real nostalgia for Lion King. I have some for Toy Story but its still not a favorite.

Ive seen Batman begins but it didnt leave a lasting impression on me. I dont remember it that well now other than some hallucination device.

Arsenic and Old Lace
Mr Deeds Goes to Town
The Searchers
Tokyo Story
Vertigo
Apocaylpse Now
Shakespeare in Love
Aviator
The Kings Speech
While you got 1 out of 9 right anyway

You know even though i grew up with it I have no real nostalgia for Lion King. I have some for Toy Story but its still not a favorite.

Ive seen Batman begins but it didnt leave a lasting impression on me. I dont remember it that well now other than some hallucination device.

Lion King is not one of my favorites. But if a list is made of great movies it would easily be somewhere on this list. Now Toy Story is different. As a trilogy, it is one of the best ones out there. You know what they say, to each his own. Someone not liking a movie does not make it bad. My childhood was mostly full of Hanna Barbera stuff. Movie came along much later.

Lion King is not one of my favorites. But if a list is made of great movies it would easily be somewhere on this list. Now Toy Story is different. As a trilogy, it is one of the best ones out there. You know what they say, to each his own. Someone not liking a movie does not make it bad. My childhood was mostly full of Hanna Barbera stuff. Movie came along much later.
I could agree with Toy Story being one of the best trilogies. I didnt mean i didnt like it or anything (i think its great) just not like one of my all time favorites.

On the subject of Pixar animations like Toy Story, WALL-E is overrated for me. This movie isn't even close to being a top 5 Pixar movie in my eyes.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Can’t believe I wrote Ben stiller was in good will hunting lmao! I still think reservoir dogs is overrated - it is often cited as Tarantino’s best. Yes it was his first and he had budget constraints - it’s very noticeable. I’ll need to revisit it but at the time it seemed more a filmed play or theatre act then a well paced film.

Welcome to the human race...
I revisited Reservoir Dogs the other day and, yeah, I wouldn't consider it his absolute masterpiece (isn't Pulp Fiction the consensus pick for his best film anyway?) but it holds up really well nonetheless (and the play comparison is fine since it actually suits a film that's more driven by character interaction than external action anyway). Contrast that against Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, another '90s cool-crime debut that has some similarities but has aged much worse and lacks the substance that makes Dogs truly great.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Sorta regret saying its overrated given it’s been so long since I’ve seen it. May have had some alcohol in my bloodstream when I wrote that. Lol. Keen to give it another watch, your comments have intrigued me Plus it would be an easy rewatch - i own in on dvd lol. Currently it’s my least favourite tarintino...death proof would be next and Jackie brown both of which I don’t like having seen them more recently. Actually Jackie Brown has been years...may need a rewatch of that also.

I can't really get why Big Lebovski is such a big deal. i think it's a simple movie about a stupid lazy guy, what's the point of it? WEhy does every person i know like it so much? i hopew somebody here can explain this to me

I can't really get why Big Lebovski is such a big deal. i think it's a simple movie about a stupid lazy guy, what's the point of it? WEhy does every person i know like it so much? i hopew somebody here can explain this to me
Nostalgia critic did a pretty good video on it. Not a screamy one but a relaxed one that made some interesting points even if they wont change your mind on it. For me its due for a rewatch.

Nostalgia critic did a pretty good video on it. Not a screamy one but a relaxed one that made some interesting points even if they wont change your mind on it. For me its due for a rewatch.
Thanks! I'm gonna watch that review

Thanks! I'm gonna watch that review
Hope you find it worthwhile ^^

Overrated is personal. What does many people like that I don't?
But The Untouchables is a movie I don't understand what people see in it. I know that it's a celebration of the old police/adventure movies of the 40/50s, but still a new modern touch wouldn't hurt? The loving wife that doesn't care that her husband doesn't spend any time with her, the nerd, the hard boiled cop. The bad guys that looks like the badest guys ever. No grey areas, everything is black and white. This is just bad in my mind.