Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
If a film is regarded as the best film of all time and you watch it and find it good, but not amazingly great....I think you would call it overrated.
Makes sense to me.

I reckon E.T., Ghostbusters and The Departed are three of the most overrated films I've seen.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I totally understand why people would list the Godfather and Citizen Kane as overrated, although I like both...overrated does not always mean bad. If a film is good, but people act like it is a masterpiece, that is rating it higher than you think it deserves. I think all the 'how can you say anything that is not worshipping this film, what heresy!' type comments on this thread show just how overrated some films are.

My top examples

1. The Shawshank Redemption - not that it is a bad film, but the way this tops 'best film' lists so often really annoys me; it just isn't that good.

2. Apocalypse Now - tedious, self indulgent, special effects over content, thinks its deep when it isn't all that much...

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey - see Apocalypse Now

4. Kill Bill - because any rating above 1/5 is too high for this film

5. The Exorcist - thought it was dull and ridiculous. and not at all scary.

I don't know. It's seems you have just as many people hate a movie, as you do love it. Certain people will carry on about how great a film is, and as many people ask why. They don't get it's popularity. Some of the ones I see mentioned the most in this way are . . .

Titanic
The Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
The Exorcist
Apocalypse Now

Normally, I just see Armageddon and Braveheart being made fun of. More times than not, anyway.

My top examples

2. Apocalypse Now - tedious, self indulgent, special effects over content, thinks its deep when it isn't all that much...

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey - see Apocalypse Now
ehhhhhh 2001 is one of the deepest movies ever....do you think it insists upon itself er what? why is this movie tedious? because of the long takes? because of the beautiful perfectionist shots? did the runtime not do it for you. i guess i'll refer to the American Beauty tagline......"look closer"....

the special effects were wayyy ahead of its time too...

i know kubrick is not for everyone and this movie is one of the main fueded kubrick movies but saying that its not deep is strange to hear for me

Is there a scratching head smilie here?

No, but I definitely feel the need for one too after reading this thread....

Nebbie???

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The English Patient and The Fountain

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
But when people talk about The Godfather and Citizen Kane they don't say that "This is one of my favourite films of all time" they usually say "The best film of all time".

The word 'best' my friend makes it different. IMO.

Suspect's Reviews

If enough people think that a film is 'the best film of all time' then less people think it isn't, does that then make the most over rated film of all time?

Anyway, this is the sort of discussion that we have in the pub when we're drunk and it goes on forever. I just don't think, my friend, that I understand the concept of 'the most over rated film of all time', so think I'll dip out of this one.

A system of cells interlinked
The English Patient and The Fountain
Do people rate The Fountain that highly, in general, though? I mean, I love the film, and it means a great deal to me, but I have a personal connection with it that might make me biased. Still, I have seen mostly tepid response to this one, aside from the few people on these boards that are over the moon, like myself.

My earlier posts in this thread really make me wonder if I should stay away from the internet when I am stressed at work...

Sorry TUS!

You're a Genius all the time
Originally Posted by Sedai
My earlier posts in this thread really make me wonder if I should stay away from the internet when I am stressed at work...
Maybe you just need to stay away from Overrated Movies threads.

I'm pretty sure that argument could also be applied to Blade Runner. It's all a matter of perception.

Just a note to keep this friendly, i enjoyed all these films. I base my term of 'overrated' on how the majority of people around me perceive these films compared to how i do.

Shawshank Redemption, Finding Nemo- decent but not great as people seem to indicate

Crash (2004)- think subject matter kinda compelled people to rate it higher than it deserved.

The Departed- should only be viewed after Infernal Affairs, much the same for many 'secret' remakes. Would say Vanilla Sky but think most people realise it's awful.

A Nightmare Before Christmas- decent enough film but don't it's elevation to masterpiece by people who don't even realise Tim Burton didn't direct it.

I may get shot for this one but Seven Samurai, might be i need to watch it again but i didn't get all the kerfuffle over it. Preferred other Kurosawa's.

Last time i watched Taxi Driver it wasn't as good as i remembered.

The Prestige is massively over rated, good job a certain banned member isn't still here to read that.

I think Kill Bill Vol 1 is over rated but mostly due to ignorance of Tarantino's "homage".

Not quite sure why No Country For Old Men is receiving all the huge amounts of acclaim it's getting, 5 star film yes, but not worth all the hype.

Random note - having just checked out the "Top Ten Overrated and Best" thread, in 2005 these are what I considered the 10 most overrated films I'd ever seen.

10. The Godfather
9. Dazed and Confused
8. Heat
7. Blade Runner
6. Traffic
5. Terminator 2
4. City of God
3. Fargo
2. Aliens
1. Ghostbusters

Ah, how stupid I was back in the day. I still reckon Traffic is overrated, though.

Stuck in the middle with you.
Well I don't really think I have a large list of the most overrated movies but here's a couple of recent ones that were a bit over-credited:
American Gangster
No Country for Old Men(the damn ending completely killed it)
and BTW- In no way is The Godfather overrated, c'mon it's the best movie of all time IMO

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The ending of No Country for Old Men made it. brilliant.

I never get these threads that say "overrated." I think it's easy to forget certain films were made in a certain time and that's why they became so famous and rated so highly. Like Citizen Kane. Star Wars. Even a film like Raiders of the Lost Arc or Jaws. They were simply films that changed film history -- and so they become classics. But sometimes when we see them much later for the first time, we don't get why they're so lauded.

"Overrated" is overrated.