Ted Lasso

Tools    

Watched ep 3 and fortunately, I don't think I messed up my comprehension of the show by watching ep 4 first. Loved everything that happened with Sam. Glad to learn that he's more than a pretty face and actually has a social conscience and loved that the entire staff and team of Richmond had his back. Jamie seems sincere about making amends with his teammates but he clearly has no idea how to do it. I'm thinking that talking to Dr. Debbie Downer will help. Rebecca's relationship with her goddaughter allowed us another peek into the vulnerability of this character, who I am growing to love more with each episode. The introduction of Led Tasso was kind of odd and even when I realized why he did it, I'm not sure it was necessary. Roy is going to be the star of that sports show before the season is over and I'm loving watching Ted handle the art of the press conference. Love this silly show.

Just finished ep 5 and it's official...Roy Kent is my favorite character on this show. This guy is so raw and funny and completely unpredictable. Loved his handling of Isaac and I have to admit that I will miss him on that TV show Soccer Saturday. Nate looked a little intimidated when Roy arrived on the sidelines and he should be. Speaking of Nate, he is behind my one minor problem with this show: Am I the only one who has trouble hearing and understanding him? I have to put closed captioning on when I watch this show because, otherwise, I would miss most of what Nate says. Really enjoyed that scene where Higgins was gushing to Rebecca about his wife because it seemed like this was the first time since he began working for Richmond that anyone has ever asked him about his personal life. We're getting a lot of change and growth from several characters and it's all because of Ted...he has a magical effect on these people that I'm not sure he's even aware of. Loved when he was paraphrasing all of those famous movie quotes to Ted and I couldn't believe we actual got the second reference to Sex and the City on this show. Seriously loving this show.

Everything that happened between Roy and Jamie was the highlight of ep 6 of season 2. I'm very pleased with Jamie's sincerity about becoming more of a team player and I love the irony of his being a team player being the exact thing the team doesn't need right now. Introducing Rebecca's new boy toy and her mother in the same episode seemed to bit of an overload. That whole thing with Higgins and Coach was a bit odd too. It just seemed so out of character for Higgins to be poking his nose in someone else's business and the fact that it seemed to work out was a little convenient. I knew eventually Ted was going to explode...he's been sitting on too much stuff for too long and am looking forward to hearing what he has to say Dr Debbie Downer. Seriously loving this show.

Just finished ep 7 and loved the reveal that Sam is the one that Rebecca has been texting with on the dating app. The ironic thing is they would be perfect for each other, but Rebecca won't be able to handle it. I'm glad that Roy and Keeley worked things out, though I never really bought that needy, clingy thing Roy was doing because it was completely out of character for him. Ted and Debbie Downer are starting to piss me off because it's becoming obvious that Ted is going to begin therapy but we are not going to be privy to any of it. I'm also glad that Nate got taken down a couple of pegs in this ep because all the attention he's been getting on social media has gone to his head and I'm starting not to like him.

Just learned that my new favorite binge has been nominated for 20 Emmys on Sunday, including four nominees in the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category. Impressive.

Ep 8 was freaking fantastic! The writers seem to want to give a vulnerable side to Dr Debbie Downer in order to make us like her, but I'm not feeling it. Maybe I'll feel it a little more if Ted actually talks to her regarding his big reveal. LOVED everything that happened with Sam and Rebecca...Rebecca's initially reaction to what was going on was exactly what I expected, but I'm glad Sam is not giving up, even though Rebecca is going to be fighting it tooth and nail. The Diamond Dogs confession circle was brilliantly written and performed. I was expecting the loss at Wembley, but I wish it hadn't been a blowout. I would have preferred to see them lose in the final seconds. The scene with Jamie and his father was incredible...loved the actor who played Mr. Tartt and Roy hugging Jamie was something I wouldn't have seen coming in a million years. speaking of Roy, I couldn't believe that he was actually shocked that Phoebe might be swearing because of him, or was he just pretending to be shocked that's what I love about Brett Goldstein as Roy...you're never sure where his head is at and that's what makes the character so fascinating. Would love to see Goldstein win an Emmy on Sunday. Seriously loving this show.

Happy to report that the show won four big Emmys...Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Jason Sudeikis); Outstanding Supporting Actor (Brett Goldstein) and Outstanding Supporting Actress (Hannah Waddingham). Congratulations! All richly deserved.

This show has provided eighteen episodes of sterling entertainment, but I am scratching my head trying to figure out the hot mess that was season 2 ep 9. I just don't know what was going on here. I do know that Brendan Hunt, who plays Coach, is one of the show's creators and that his character has kind of been on the periphery of things up to this point and maybe he demanded that an episode be centered around him, but they really missed the boat here. From everyone blaming Coach for the Wembley loss to getting in a fight with Jamie's father, this just didn't work for me, even if it was supposed to be a fantasy, it never fully committed to being a fantasy and just didn't work for me. This was the first episode of this show that I had difficulty getting through, but every show has a misstep and I'm hoping this is the last one for this show, especially after its big night at the Emmys. Still, seriously loving this show.

Finally just last night fired up this series. Watched eps 1 & 2. Will continue this evening. My wife loved it right away, and she's very picky... I thought the premise too silly, but it started to get my attention. Sudeikis has a certain charm. I could live without some of the language, but that genie is not likely to be put back into the bottle anytime soon. Looking forward to see where the series is going. Gideon, I'll be avoiding your updates until after the series..

Well, the season 2 finale bounced back quite nicely from the mess that was ep 9. I'm still pulling for Rebecca and Sam...Sam took it like the class act that he is. I was glad that we got a glimpse into Ted's inner demons, it was long overdue. I have a feeling this examination into what makes Ted tick could go into some dark and dangerous places, though this show isn't really about dark and dangerous. The juxtaposing of Ted's session with Rebecca's memories regarding her father was beautifully executed. Very nice that the entire team showed up for Rebecca's father's funeral, though Rupert's arrival really threw cold water on the whole thing, was that really necessary. Also LOVING that we're going to get a four alarm romantic triangle with Roy, Keeley, and Jamie...excellent work from Brett Goldstein and Juno Temple in those scenes. Looking forward to the third (and rumored final) season. Seriously loving this show.

Well, the season 2 finale bounced back quite nicely from the mess that was ep 9.
There's actually a couple more episodes, I believe. This season's a bit longer than the first.

Oh, well the first season was ten episodes so I assumed the second was the same...thanks so much for letting me know.

Yeah they also still have quite a bit of story to tell...looks like next episode is a Roy episode and the finale is Sudekis written (he hasn't done any episodes this season).

To me, season 2 started a little off the rails-- too scattered. Have watched the first 2 eps only, so it'll likely get back on track.
WELL... To my taste Season 2 started off shakily and went down from there. I held on for awhile, but after struggling through episode 8, I finally had to bail. I felt like I was watching a video of a grade school girls' slumber party. Just not my kind of fare.

Lot of interesting stuff going on in ep 11...they seem to be testing out possible new couplings and I'm not sure if I like anything they've proposed so far. I hope Dr. Debbie Downer is really going, but I have a feeling she's not. Brett Goldstein was brilliant as Roy Kent found himself feeling some new feelings...loved that confession scene with him and Keely. Glad to see Sam getting the attention he deserves but that last scene with Rebecca DESTROYED me...I refuse to give up on these two. Impressive work from Sam Richardson as Edwin Akufo, who made the most of a thankless role on Veep. And I knew there was a reason I've started hating Nate this season. Seriously loving this show.

Re: Gulfport's thing about "grade school girls' slumber party." I may partially agree, depending on your precise meaning. If you mean that it's just a little too twee, I'm on board with that. I say that as someone who didn't think the first season went too far in this direction, but does feel the second has.

It may be that the first season's strong response produced many articles, and those articles reductively ascribed its quality to its general optimism, so the second season has leaned into that even though it was not the only component of what made the first season good. It could also be that season two is simultaneously touching on some darker stuff and they thought it important to counterbalance. I'm not sure.

I adored Lawrence's Scrubs, which was simultaneously very serious and very silly, but it was silly rather than schmaltzy and walked the line where all of the heartfelt stuff felt earned. Possibly because heartfelt and schmaltzy are not the same thing: characters being genuine and supportive is not the same thing as just being rote cheerleaders for one another. They need real conflict, too, and sometimes their support needs to be genuinely sad, and contain genuine pathos. This show is starting to lose that a bit, I think. It's losing the crucial element of any intimate relationship where it is occasionally hard to support someone you care about.

Anyway, still a very good show, and I have a fair bit of confidence it will find its footing again because there's a lot of genuine talent involved.

One thing to consider is that things might feel a bit off because the two "extra" episodes were added late (Apple ordered two more after they saw how the first season was being received) and shoehorned in as standalones.

Well that's it for the season, I think it was honestly a brilliant season that built up and established a pair of heavy's for next year.

The good - Sam is great in small doses, though I hope he doesn't have to get a storyline every season.

The bad - Coach Beard's solo episode was the low point of the season, I really like his relationship with his girlfriend and I hope that becomes a focus next season.

The good - Nate's arc has come full circle he's now clearly the bad guy and the show now has a worthy rival...conflict was getting a little stale this year.

The bad - I do worry the show is going to turn into Lost with to many plot points running around. This was Roy's season and Keely was a very strong part it, I don't want this to be a get together break up get together type plotline.

The good - Ted Lasso still manages the warm feels, though not as strong as season one it's still the best comedy on TV.

I'm assuming with everything that happened in ep 12, that it was the season 2 finale and it did not disappoint. Don't really understand Nate's complete 180 turn to villain this season and that scene where Nate confronts Ted, though wonderfully acted by Nick Mohammed, didn't justify Nate's behavior, which has been borderline childish, so I'm happy with how the story wrapped. The conclusion of Sam's story satisfied as well. Hated the way the fans and social media tramped all over Ted. LOVED his speech to the team though...brilliantly written. Hope Ted can honestly and openly work on his issues...the act of going public is a nice start, but he has to do some work now. And on the flip side of Nate, I love the evolution of Jamie Tart's character this season, the growth in this character has been remarkable and believable for the most part. It wasn't clear as to whether or not Keeley is gone, but if she is, I'm good with that. Looking forward to season 3.