Sample this Sample

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

As if Facebook didn't own enough of the social media sphere they had to go and make an app called BARS. But I will admit, from an IT worker perspective, it is a slick app.

@re93animator @ynwtf @Sedai

So last year I was in a business competition for startups. One of the things I won was a 6 month desk rental. Obviously, covid thoroughly mucked everything up.

But I have the desk now! I still got a lot more equipment to set up and things to test/iron out, but I should start broadcasting later in the month. I’m going to be trying for 3 streams a week (M/W/F), and I think I may make one of those broadcasts a retro/single player gamer hour.

If I can’t make a serious go of this **** in these 6 months then I will probably hang my hat up and just call it a hobby. Wish me luck!

A system of cells interlinked
Good luck!

@re93animator - I feel like I'm starting to develop my sound (vocal/lyrics wise). These last two beats were free non-profit ones. So many things to learn and so little time to learn it. I really wish I knew how to make killer beats like these.

I feel like I'm starting to develop my sound (vocal/lyrics wise). These last two beats were free non-profit ones. So many things to learn and so little time to learn it. I really wish I knew how to make killer beats like these.
I hear your cadence getting better and more confident. Your doing what you can: clocking in more hours. Using loops is cool as long as you’re getting the results you want. I like to mod and cut them up a lot too. For individual sample beats: it might sound shallow, but just having eq, compression, and high quality sample packs could make a big difference. Loopmasters is a good resource (not just loops). A drum machine could help as well (even software ones), especially if you want the samples to sound more cohesive / glued together. The biggest problem I used to have with using individual hit samples is that they sounded so disconnected from each other. I find the above stuff remedies that.

I hear your cadence getting better and more confident. Your doing what you can: clocking in more hours. Using loops is cool as long as you’re getting the results you want. I like to mod and cut them up a lot too. For individual sample beats: it might sound shallow, but just having eq, compression, and high quality sample packs could make a big difference. Loopmasters is a good resource (not just loops). A drum machine could help as well (even software ones), especially if you want the samples to sound more cohesive / glued together. The biggest problem I used to have with using individual hit samples is that they sounded so disconnected from each other. I find the above stuff remedies that.
Yeah, I got a right amount of equipment/software that I need to deep dive into and figure out. I'm just so freaking tired after work. I am thinking, at this point, I just need to pay the local studio guys for a couple hours of lessons to iron out a workflow.

I have some chiptune software that I want to utilize to make a hip-hop album, but I know absolutely nothing about FM synths.

@re93animator @Swan

Either of ya'll interested in buying my Maschine MK3? It would come with the original box and a road case.

I just put in for a transfer request for the hardware, so you'll be able to download the same software I did when I purchased it new. I think I used it all of like 5 times, so it is practically new.

I'm also going to sell my ROLI Seaboard Block and PreSonus StudioLive AR8 if you're interested in either of those. And I got a few mics I'm selling, as well.

Just make me a fair offer in a PM, or let me know you're not interested so I can get them listed on eBay. I'll gladly cut a great deal on it to avoid eBay fees.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@re93animator @Swan

Either of ya'll interested in buying my Maschine MK3? It would come with the original box and a road case.

I just put in for a transfer request for the hardware, so you'll be able to download the same software I did when I purchased it new. I think I used it all of like 5 times, so it is practically new.

I'm also going to sell my ROLI Seaboard Block and PreSonus StudioLive AR8 if you're interested in either of those. And I got a few mics I'm selling, as well.

Just make me a fair offer in a PM, or let me know you're not interested so I can get them listed on eBay. I'll gladly cut a great deal on it to avoid eBay fees.
you can't stop music, yo.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

you can't stop music, yo.
Haha, I’m not stopping. I’m just offloading some equipment I either don’t see myself learning or don’t need for my workflow. I only have so much free time, and the house projects are eating up a lot of it. So I just don’t see myself learning the ends and outs of the MK3. And the mixer is overkill for my workflow when I’d be better served by a single input interface.

I’m not selling the software I own, the 61 key keyboard, or any of my guitars/amps.

@ynwtf: so glad I didn’t sell this stuff; I did sell the ROLI tho. It was such a gimmick.

But I’ve learned more in this one weekend than I did all last year. Pretty shocking how having a workspace will actually let you…ya know…work.

Granted that doesn’t mean I’m making anything good at the moment but a workflow is coming together. Load a patch/VST, tweak/tweak/tweak, and then fiddling on the keys till I find something I like, practice it like 8 or 9 times, and then record/record/record.

So like I’m finally making my OWN sounds now. Still don’t know what half the shit does in these synthesizers but I’m making notes.

Slowly piecing together how to mesh these two platforms (Native Instruments and Tracktion Waveform). Literally no good information online about how to merge them, so it’s a lot of trial and error.

Right now I’m racking my brain over racks.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@ynwtf: so glad I didn’t sell this stuff; I did sell the ROLI tho. It was such a gimmick.

But I’ve learned more in this one weekend than I did all last year. Pretty shocking how having a workspace will actually let you…ya know…work.

Granted that doesn’t mean I’m making anything good at the moment but a workflow is coming together. Load a patch/VST, tweak/tweak/tweak, and then fiddling on the keys till I find something I like, practice it like 8 or 9 times, and then record/record/record.

So like I’m finally making my OWN sounds now. Still don’t know what half the shit does in these synthesizers but I’m making notes.

Slowly piecing together how to mesh these two platforms (Native Instruments and Tracktion Waveform). Literally no good information online about how to merge them, so it’s a lot of trial and error.

Right now I’m racking my brain over racks.

I'm not sure of those apps or plugins, but watching that tutorial on racks it looks like a complicated way to represent a literal rack shelf of effects you'd route an audio signal through. I'd bet getting past the learning curve would open up a lot of options though. I mean, in the physical world you'd have a rack with like 4-10 effects, all linearly chained one to the next to run a guitar through, or vocals, or whatever. It kinda looks like that plugin creates a digital version of a patch bay so you can set up custom effects lists and save. That's kind neat actually. You want just a bit of distortion and reverb? load up a distortion rack and a reverb rack. Then save it for next time you need that specific combo.

I think you'll be excited once you get through the mess of it all though. Slap some of those effects on your drum beats and samples and you'll come up with some trippy sounds.

Good luck in discovery, yo.

@ynwtf: right now I’m just trying to understand how I can get Maschine to pass each individual pad sound to its own track. Then I can tweak each drum piece individually.

But yeah, right now I’m working on building a rack to capture the crushed chip sound for that chip tune album I’ve been wanting to make for the last 2 years.

The more I use Waveform the more I am happy I chose it over other DAWs. It just clicks with my brain better. I really like the left to right flow of the app. It’s powerful without feeling intimidating. I dunno I just never could wrap my head around Ableton’s work flow or the other options out there. Didn’t hurt that Waveform is considerably cheaper than all these other DAWs, too.

@Swan @ynwtf

I'm still trying to get a handle on navigating this DAW and its tools. Put this test together with my mouse at lunch. Just putting some tutorial videos I watched recently into practice to solidify the info, so it's just noise.

https://voca.ro/1hfGCokvQ5xB

And I finally figured out how to route each individual sound from Maschine 2 to its own track. Saved that as a template, so yeah....

More focuses fiddling with the MIDI tools - https://voca.ro/17qPeESTAW32