Once upon a time in China

→ in
Tools    

I just watched this and I think it was ah-ight.
If you like fight 'em up kung-fu movies you might like it.
I found it slightly confusing 'cause I watched it in Cantonese. I'm sure it's better in English. I'll watch it again in a few days and give a better review.

It was beautiful to behold and the Iron Puglism fight scenes vs Master Wong were cool. I liked that not only the main characters were good at Kung-Fu but that the students were too. I also like that Master Wong kicked butt but had a sad, humble quality to him. His country was changing all around him and he knew it. What I didn't like it was that Tiger (the American guy, or British, whatever) knew Kung-Fu too. I hate that. I hate when everyone knows Kung-Fu. Not all people do in real life. I think Tiger should have fought like a regular person. It would have played up the cultural differences better. I also liked the fire scene and the stupid voices they gave the Americans. Lol.

One of my personal faves, there is a lot going on in this movie, some of the dialogue requires reading between the lines. Jet Li rocks as do all the fight sequences.
I didnt think you would care about the finer details of a martial arts film like who knows Kung Fu etc after crucifying Ghost Dog like you did. Now I know there is hope for you. Good going Sunfrog on broadening your martial arts scope.
If you want to see a realistic portrayal of the samurai code in its era check out any Akira Kurosawa film escpecially Ran,Kagemusha & Seven Samurai. Again good going Im sure you will enjoy all I listed.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
It wasn't the best martial arts movie ever, but it was pretty cool.

I really liked Seven Samurai a lot. Even tho there is more story than fighting, the sword fights were very quick and realistic but it was the story that was the best. It seems cliche now but it's because so many people have ripped off from that movie. Seven Samurai was the originator. It's one of those movies I watch whenever it's on.

In Once apon a time in China I also liked the camera part, I think it fit well with the girls foreign clothes and thought she would be excited with her new toy in real life. The sad look she had when was forbidden from bringing the camera into the dojo was very good. I also liked the stupid guy that couldn't speak Chinese. It was very original and showed what the future might be like when China was overrun by foreigners.

Speaking of reading between the lines, I noticed that the subtitles were different from what they had the actors saying in the English version. Also the English version was edited very differently with whole chunks of the storyline removed. I didn't get to see all of the English version because I had to return it.

Cool Sunfrog, what are you going to watch next?
I cant watch dubbed Asian cinema it detracts from the ambience & feel of the film, I need to hear the language to feel Im truly their, once its dubbed I find every film laughable & can never get past the tacky lip syncing. Anyway I wont rant on about, just say dubbed movies are a complete travesty & people should learn to read more, then subtitles wont slow down the pace of a film.
You will also find the translations are way off in most asian movies if you have someone with you that speaks the language, Crouching Tiger for instance I have been told by asian friends is way off on alot of it dialogue translations.
With the dubbed versions they release a different version again with everything translated into the simplest terms because they figure if you cant read subtitles , you dont really care that much for the language anyway only the action.

P.S If you liked Seven Samurai check out Yojimbo. I left it off my list of Kurosawa films before but it is a mighty film, one of my all time faves.

Hiya,

Sadly, there really isn't many decent fighting / martial art movie around anymore. I think the 'Once upon a time in China' and only a few films were decent - those that Tsu Huk made. All the rest now that are coming out from HK are soo full of special effects and lack in story, it's pathetic. And that includes the much talked about 'Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' (check my post on that)
From what I know, Once upon a Time in China, some place cuts a WHOLE lot of scene from it, the first time I watches it, I couldn't make head or tail of what is going on cause there were so many cuts.!
Truth is, to get a REALLY good martal art film, you have to go back like 15 years or so and try and get your hand on the OLD OLD HK series - now THOSE were brilliant.
The one that I LOVED was called 'Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre'.

-Exc

I saw Yojimbo!
I saw it right after that Bruce Willis movie that's supposed to be a remake of it or something. I forget the name. I liked Yojimbo better. I like watching movies with subtitles too. Yojimbo is good. Thumbs up!
I don't know what I'm going to watch next, I have to look at your list again. That's why I rented Once upon a time in the first place.

This is not in the same league as Yojimbo or Seven Samurai - but if you can, try and find Police Story 4. I enjoy the movie and I think Jackie got sick of doing the Police story and gave it over to Michelle to take over. Remember, She was in Police story 3 with him.
Another person that star with her in this is Emil Chou, a VERY well known HK singer and not a bad actor either.
If you can't find it, post back and I will try and find the English name for this movie.
Well worth a look.

-Exc

Originally posted by sunfrog

I saw it right after that Bruce Willis movie that's supposed to be a remake of it or something.
Last Man Standing.

Doomsday as usual very valid points but I still enjoy the newer HK features as well. Its only US martial arts films I find unwatchable. There is maybe a couple of exceptions to the rule but none will ever touch any of the films mention on this thread or The Ghost Dog one.
When we talk Old school there is of course Bruce & also Sonny Chiba. A little bit after bruce but The StreetFighter series rips(no Van Damme), the ones that are quoted in True Romance.
I totally love Tsui Harks The Blade & the Jet Li remake of The Chinese Connection Fist Of Legend is pretty enjoyable.
Has anyone seen Hands Of Death:Kung Fu Countdown directed by John Woo(under his asian name) & Jackie Chan, its from about 1979?
Also Doomsday have you seen "To Beijiing With Love & Forbidden City Cop" with Stephen Chaiu? Not exactly martial arts extravaganzas but really clever spoof of James Bond & the traditional Martial Arts flicks, done Hong Kong Style.
Good Thread SunFrog keep up the interest.

Hi Deckard,
Sorry with the delay - reasons for the delay is cause I got a new job and have to study for a cert. that made up of 5 exams so....
Anyway.. back on the ball.. I seen 'To Bejin with Love' but that was going back around 8 years ago and I do remember it to be VERY enjoyable.. not as fighting intensive as other movie but the story line was there and quite solidly build upon. I don't think I have seen the Secret Cop you mentioned though.. but then, you have to excuse me since most movie I have watched been in Mandarin and all and hardly any of them have English title to it.
There's other movies that you have to check out - they are sort of fighting but the main theme is about Chinese magic and sorcery. As in the fighting with chanting and all - alot of them are just cheap explosive and all but there are a few that were VERY VERY well done and 2 came out around 1984 - I am still trying to fight them.
Oooo hell, there's another GOOD one that came out around 1984, it was called 'A Ninja in China' or 'A Ninja in the land of Dragon' - if you can get it.. WATCH IT!!
Heck.. I have to go look for that now.! hehehe
-Exc

Im sure youve already posted it somewhere else but, are you at college or school?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
ah yeah, Yojimbo was really good. Loved that one. And Ran.

I totally know what you mean about the dubbing - I try to watch all foreign films and anime in the original language with English subtitles. But it's true, sometimes the translations are off though. In Crouching Tiger, Jen's name wasn't even Jen, and they kept writing Peking when it Beijing. Stuff like that, and knowing I'm missing stuff, drives me crazy.

_____

me like candy.

Hiya,

Me ? I am working. How about you ???
One of the funniest translation in CTHD was when she was talking to the elder about how she felt and why she can't express her feeling cause the guy she used to love died.
In mandarin.. the Elder said something like this
'You can't blame yourself for what happen and nothing can change the fact that he is dead, but that is all in the past' - or something like that.. something meaningful and sensitive.
Would you believe that the translation in the movie actually went something like this ?
'Well, you like him and he likes you. I know your other guy died - too bad for him.'

Talk about INSENSITIVE.!! They must have gotten someone totally DRUNK to translate some of the stuff. Tell you what.. if you read some of the stuff, it's funny ****.!

-Exc