Stigmata

→ in
Tools    

If Fong fails to express his ideas without insulting someone's way of life once more, I'll close the thread and open a new one to continue discussion concerning the movie.

Whoa! I leave it for a night and there's been some brutal banter going on! Obviously I've got no authority in this forum, but IMHO discussion of religion is fine (Chris doesn't seem like he's be intolerant of someone who isn't a Christian), but slating people is not. I run a forum myself, and it ruins it.

Anyway, as for Stigmata, I think that we can relate this (surprise surprise!) to incorrect facts in American films (such as that UB557 or whatever it was). I don't think that you can criticise Stigmata as a bad film for being factually inaccurate when (if I remember) you liked that one. You'd also have to reject X-Files, JFK, and any other bit of entertainment that was based on something that may or may not have been factually accurate while claiming to be based on a true story (or at least true facts).

I don't really have much of an opinion of the Catholic Church good or bad - I'm Church of England, but not devout by any means. I liked Stigmata, I really enjoyed the story, and it made me think. All in all, a good film.

So can everyone just take a chill pill!

Dunno if you're referring to me or not - I havn't really seen U-571. The difference between movies like that, however, is that things like that are likely to have happened, or are realistic fiction.

My dad described it best: a two-hour commercial for Gnosticism. I hate it when a movie tries to be a commercial like that - sort of like Mission to Mars.

Hmmmm, I should see STIGMATA again, because I thought it was a pretty boring movie, so how could it be a commercial for Gnosticism if it was so incredibly dull? By the way, about Saint Francis, you can still see the grey patched robe he wore on display in the Basilica of Saint Francis in Assisi. At least, that is where I saw it before the earthquake a few years ago.

PS. Gabriel Byrne should stop playing priests. Now, everyone thinks priests can't act.

Just thought of something else -- doggone it, I wish I had been here during this Gospel of Thomas "controversy" -- I would like a movie made of this book simply called THE CRIB. This crib, fashioned from very old wood, apparently killed almost all the little babies who used it. Eventually, it is discovered that the crib's wood is ancient indeed -- it was made from the Wood of the True Cross.

Uh, you sure about that crib? Sounds like an old myth. I certainly have my doubts.

Why was it boring? Heck, I didn't think it was. Wasn't amazingly exciting, either, though. Religious thrillers have a hard time living up to their usually-interesting trailers.

THE CRIB is a novel, a religious "thriller." It's probably out-of-print now. Still, an interesting premise, that something to do with the Crucifixion, a sacred event, is actually lethal.

Why was STIGMATA boring? I'm not sure, exactly; it just was. I probably wanted more "scholarship" -- dusty scrolls discovered by a wandering Biblically inclined goat (symbol of the Deevil!!!) instead of the hackneyed "When Doves Cry" imagery. Anyhoo, I was bored, and I usually love "religious" stuff like that. THE SEVENTH SIGN almost got it right (love the idea of "no more souls in the Guf" as if souls were quantifiable material), but some plot points were downright silly. (Would we really execute a murderer with Downs syndrome?)