2. The Burning -------
8.0 / 10
Scream 4 ---------
+ 7.5 / 10

4. A Bay of Blood ----
7.0 / 10

5. Jason Lives -------
7.0 / 10

There's a fun factor about Scream 2 and The Burning that do it for me. Scream 2 remains king of the vault for now

6. A Nightmare on Elm St 3: Dream Warriors --
+ 7.5 / 10
7. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers ---
7.0 / 10
Silent Night, Deadly Night ------------------------
+ 6.5 / 10

9. Saw ----------------------------------------------------
+ 6.5 / 10

10. Child's Play -------------------------------------------
+ 6.5 / 10

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers has grown on me since the viewing, as has A Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve.

Sleepaway Camp --------------------------
+ 6.5 / 10

12. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter ---
+ 6.5 / 10

13. Peeping Tom ----------------------------
+ 6.5 / 10

14. Halloween 2 -----------------------------------
6.0 / 10

My Bloody Valentine ---------------------
+ 5.5 / 10

16. The House on Sorority Row ------------
+ 4.5 / 10

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	scream2rg.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	64259  

Round 6 continues

THE FUNHOUSE
(Tobe Hooper, 1981)

Four teenage friends stay the night at a carnival,
and are stalked by a deformed carny in a Frankenstein mask

We start at Amy's house, a girl who looks about twelve years old but was apparently nineteen when this was released. We see her get in the shower bare-breasted and all, in the first scene of the movie. That wily Tobe Hooper. She gets pranked by her shrimp little brother. Who is basically the worst twerp little brother ever as the story unfolds. Anyways, Amy seems to be into cool horror stuff because she has spooky masks hanging all over her walls along with a Frankenstein poster. She's getting ready to go to the carnival for a double date, even though she's not really allowed to go and lies that she's going to the movies instead.

I like when movies are set at carnivals. There should be more movies set at carnivals. I think Amy's friend Liz is jealous of Amy's date. His name is Buzz and Liz says 'He is a hunk and an absolute pistol! If you play your cards right you might not have to spend the rest of your life a virgin'

that's right ladies, i'm a pistol. -Buzz

While Liz's date is obnoxious and geeky. Some might say the first 45+ minutes of this movie is slow, i actually liked that about it because it gave us time to get to know the four main characters as they go around the carnival. We meet Madame Xena the Fortune Teller, Vlad the Impaler, the beautiful Mona- she wiggles and dances,

freaky carnies, and a creepy dude asking *Who is mad enough to enter that world of darkness? ... There is no release from the funhouse* ... And so, we enter the main event. The funhouse, which starts out intriguing. And then starts to unravel. Our killer is a deformed carny wearing a Frankenstein mask. Then when that mask comes off we see the *horrifying* deformed carny OH NO! Which is really just a different obvious whacked-out looking mask. We reach new levels of hilarity when Amy's face is frozen in the same 'terrified' expression for the last 15 minutes or so of the movie

Watch it if you like carnivals and Tobe Hooper

Rating:
+ 5.5 / 10

Favorite Kill: Deformed Carny guy electrocuted and grindhoused

As much as I love The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Poltergeist, I really should check out more of Hooper's filmography. It's just that I never hear positive things about any of his other films. Even though your rating for The Funhouse doesn't inspire confidence, your write-up makes it sounds pretty entertaining, albeit in a "so bad it's good" kinda way.

Not sure how I missed this thread before. Silent Night, Deadly Night has always been a guilty pleasure of mine and I rank it slightly higher than you. Not seen Jason Lives, the only Jason movies I've seen are part 1 and 2, as well as one that was set on a boat. Dream Warriors is my second fav Freddy after the original.

Not the biggest fan of Halloween 2 but Scream 2 was an enjoyable sequel. Halloween 4 is my favourite after the original. Child's Play was a lot of fun, though I haven't seen it in years. Still haven't watched Scream 4, but I want to. Haven't watched the rest.

Great thread so far

I remember seeing Funhouse back when I was a kid, at least, I think it was Funhouse. Anyway, it's something I should look at again and I think I have a copy of it somewhere.

Rd 6 Wrap-up

INFERNO
(Dario Argento, 1980)

A college student in Rome and his sister in New York investigate a series of killings
in both locations where their addresses are the domain of two covens of witches

Bring some Italian class to the Slash Vault. A tale about the Three Mothers- Mother of Tears, Mother of Sighs, & Mother of Darkness. A chill in the air, decor in the water, wet boobs, a corpse, & a key. Argento's marriage of sound, color, and vision. Books written by Latin alchemists, poetry, welcome my friends, driven from the Bava school of storytelling. Music students in Rome explore the myth of the three mothers, and their locations, Germany, Rome, and New York. Houses of the damned. First 35-40 minutes are strong and wrap you in, let it wash over you. Lighting, colors, & picture on-point. Argento storyelling meets poetry, other-worldly, dream-like perception, and hints at more than he gives.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Attachments

Name:	inf80.png
Views:	58
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	64208  

ALICE, SWEET ALICE
aka Communion
aka Holy Terror
(Alfred Sole, 1976)

There's a dreadful murder of a little girl during church,
and her odd older sister becomes the main suspect

A story of jealousy between two little sisters, Karen and Alice, takes a turn for the grotesque as we enter a murder mystery of little Karen, who got all the attention. Alice is the remaining daughter of a divorced couple, strictly forbidden in the Catholic religion. The whole film takes place in a Catholic-type community and this just adds to the ominous vibe of the story. The story centers on a little girl Alice, who is schizoid, rather violent, and perhaps not as little and undeveloped as she appears. Everyone, even Alice's aunt, thinks Alice killed her little sister out of jealousy... well, except for her divorced mother and father.

Found this film pretty disturbing and more sinister than Saw (2004) or The Exorcist (1973). While Saw has torture elements and Exorcist features demonic possession, both are films with a bit of an undercurrent for good. While Jigsaw's games are twisted and messed up, at least his victims come away with a new appreciation for their life (if they survive). Father Karras represents an admirable father figure and force for good in protecting Regan and facing the demon in The Exorcist. Alice, Sweet Alice is darker and doesn't really have any light to speak of

There is some ambiguity to the conclusion. The main killer turns out to be a crazy old Catholic lady out to punish the sins of Alice's parents. Not only that, the crazy old woman kills the priest in church as they try and arrest her. Yikes. Alice ends up with the killer's knife and bag of bloody relics as we fade to black.

Rating:
+ 5.5 / 10

Those who like their pure-dark horror without light & without turning back may really go for this

FRIDAY THE 13TH
(Sean S. Cunningham, 1980)

Camp counselors are stalked and murdered by an unknown assailant
while trying to reopen a summer camp

Walked out to my workshed and grabbed an axe to watch this one, never know when Pam Voorhees might pop out! Strip monopoly, Kevin Bacon getting laid in a cabin on a dark and stormy night with a corpse in the bunk above, and the crazy mother complex. Often times we do tie back to that whacko Ed Gein in the 1950s. Things are getting interesting back at the strip monopoly table as Bill goes to get more beer for Alice and Brenda. I like Brenda

Meanwhile Kevin Bacon gets a spear through the neck while his girl's out peeing in the woods. Who then gets an axe to the face.
You're going to Camp Blood, ain't ya?
You'll never come back again
It's got a death curse

Ch-ch-ch! Ah-ah-ah!

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Attachments

Name:	Fri13.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	59843  

I agree. You guys know I'm always recommending that whenever giallo comes around. That and What Have You Done To Solange? Those are my two go to standards for it.

I haven't seen Friday The 13th for ages. I should watch it again.

Unregistered User
I think HK introduced me to Alice. I really liked it. Friday The 13th is great but not one of my favourites, I only saw it for the first time a few years ago so maybe that was why I didn't like it more.

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN
Charles Pierce, 1976

Who's up for a pre-Halloween slasher? We're in Texarkana on the border on Sunday, March 3rd, 1946, beginning of a reign of terror. This is a true story folks. The Texarkana murders, look em up. We've got our strange hooded man who likes to attack young couples straying off in their cars for some alone time in the evening. Likes to tie girls to trees. I recognize the sheriff, Ramsey, he's McQueen in a John Wayne film called Chisum. My grandpa and dad love that one, i saw it many times growing up. There are minor similarities to Black Christmas (1974), such as a worthless male police secretary, this one's called Patrolman AC Benson, 'some folks call me Sparkplug.'

Cold fear sweeps across the city. All gun supply had sold out. The people wonder, 'am i, or someone i know, next?' US Marshall Captain JD Morales comes in to take charge. Well dayum, that's Sergeant Pepper, another guy from my pop and grandpop's old John Wayne film. Capt JD Morales rolls in to take charge. He doesn't want any newspapers or reporters hanging around. No Gale Weathers here. None of that riff-raff. 'If the people need to know something, i'll inform the press.'

There i thought the slash vault had stalled, then the slash gods laid a gift in my lap. When the sun went down, a ghostly vibe crept over. Ole Sparkplug, bless-his-soul, not grasping what's at stake, volunteers to be a decoy... dressed in drag. Ya see, there's a high school dance, and patrols are to be intensified at 1am near Lover's Lane road. The dance is an honorable event, this is a conservative province of the illustrious South in America in the 1940s. Prayers are said, respectable dances are had...

But wait! There's beautiful young maidens. The hooded madman watches, and waits. Biding his time for the right time to strike
I'm not gonna tie it all up for ya nice and neat. Give it a look
'Moonlight's so bright tonight he may not wanna try it'

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Attachments

Name:	sundown.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	59844