So, I'm hanging out at a different message board when I see a post from a guy who's got a bit of a thing for Alex McLeod who does some show on TLC or something. He mentioned that Ms. McLeod was in this movie and that he wanted to see it. I went to the website for the film and got the gist of the plot. I also learned that it was the first film this particular director had directed. He also wrote and produced the film (Sort of a latter day Orson Welles, I suppose. Or Ed Wood).

When I happened to see the movie at the video rental place, I decided I'd go ahead and give it a shot.

At any rate, this movie was bad. The story was silly. The script was poorly written. And the actors..... Oh, the actors. There was one guy who looked like a poor-man's Glenn Frey who decided to do a Jack Nicholson impression for the whole film. Sadly, he's in the movie a lot. The rest of the actors simply look like they are acting. You never feel like they really are their characters. Some are worse than others (the guy who plays the main character is not bad as an actor. He just isn't given anything to work with in this film, so sometimes he seems like a worse actor than he probably is).

On the other hand, the film was in focus. Actually, the direction wasn't bad at all. The shots are usually well framed and interesting. The locations picked out were often very beautiful and worked well in the context of the film. As a director, I'd say this guy has a future. As a writer, he still needs some work (don't we all, though? I know I do).

All in all, I'd say that this is the best film directed by a guy with an MBA from the University of Colorado I've ever seen. But when stacked up against other films, this one isn't so hot. I know most of you weren't going to rent this anyway, but if you happen to spot this movie in your video rental place and think for a moment that it might be good, don't pick it up. Don't rent it. You'll be disappointed.

One final thing, the name of the production company bothers me. The guy named his company "23 Frames". What happened to the 24th frame?

One final, final thing. You may be wondering how a movie that I find so bad could be released on video by Touchstone Pictures, a part of the Massive Walt Disney Studios. Turns out, the writer, director, producer happens to work at Disney..... in acquisitions. It's probably easier to get Disney to buy your film when you are one of the people at Disney who decides which films the company will buy. Just a theory, but I think it holds water.