Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Lighthouse didn't win an Oscar for cinematography, genius, it was only nominated. Even then, simply being inaccurate is still leagues ahead of repeatedly calling stuff "retarded" as a pejorative. This is why people don't take now your cinephile posturing seriously - that is, when you want it to be taken seriously (which we know you do).

Ran -

best use of red in a movie this side of Suspiria

Ha, don't flatter yourself. (I got temp banned for a similar comment)

Hahahahahahahaha, that is the funniest thing I've heard in ages!

If winning Oscars is the standard, then just off the top of my head Gladiator and The Lord of the Rings are better than Rocky by your definition. Kind of undermines your, "greatest movie ever" statement.

Haha, wrong, it won the Oscar for best Cinematography.

The list of awards The Lighthouse won is so long it's exhausting to list them all. I just copied and pasted from wikipedia:

Academy Awards[38] February 9, 2020 Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Nominated
Austin Film Critics Association January 6, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Nominated
British Academy Film Awards February 2, 2020 Best Cinematography Nominated
Cannes Film Festival[39] May 25, 2019 FIPRESCI Prize – Directors' Fortnight/Critics' Week Robert Eggers Won
Chicago Film Critics Association[40] December 14, 2019 Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Nominated
Central Ohio Film Critics Association[41] January 2, 2020 Best Actor Robert Pattinson Nominated
Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Won
Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Runner-Up
Critics' Choice Movie Awards[42] January 12, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Columbus Film Critics Association January 2, 2020 Best Actor Robert Pattinson Nominated
Dallas–Fort Worth Film Critics Association December 16, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Runner-Up
Detroit Film Critics Society[43] December 9, 2019 Best Actor Robert Pattinson Nominated
Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Best Screenplay Robert Eggers & Max Eggers Nominated
Georgia Film Critics Association[44] January 10, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Best Production Design Craig Lathrop, Matt Likely Nominated
Gold Derby Awards[45] February 4, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Gold Derby Decade Awards[46] March 6, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Gotham Awards[47] December 2, 2019 Best Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Greater Western New York Film Critics Association[48] December 30, 2019 Best Picture The Lighthouse Nominated
Hollywood Critics Association Awards[49] January 9, 2020 Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Nominated
Houston Film Critics Society[50] January 2, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Independent Spirit Awards[51] February 8, 2020 Best Director Robert Eggers Nominated
Best Male Lead Robert Pattinson Nominated
Best Supporting Male Willem Dafoe Won
Best Editing Louise Ford Nominated
Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Won
Indiana Film Journalists Association[52] December 16, 2019 Best Film The Lighthouse Nominated
Best Original Screenplay Robert Eggers & Max Eggers Runner-Up
Original Vision Award Robert Eggers Won
Las Vegas Film Critics Society[53] December 13, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Won
London Film Critics' Circle Awards[54] January 30, 2020 British / Irish Actor of the Year Robert Pattinson Won
North Carolina Film Critics Association[55] January 3, 2020 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
North Dakota Film Society[56] January 18, 2020 Best Picture The Lighthouse Nominated
Best Director Robert Eggers Nominated
Best Actor Robert Pattinson Nominated
Best Screenplay Robert Eggers & Max Eggers Nominated
Best Production Design Craig Lathrop, Ian Greig Nominated
Best Editing Louise Ford Won
Oklahoma Film Critics Circle[57] December 15, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Runner-Up
Philadelphia Film Critics Circle[58] December 8, 2019 Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke Won
Phoenix Critics Circle[59] December 14, 2019 Best Horror Film The Lighthouse Nominated
San Diego Film Critics Society[60][61] December 9, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
San Francisco Bay Area Film Critics Circle December 16, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Nominated
Satellite Awards[62] December 19, 2019 Best Motion Picture – Drama The Lighthouse Nominated
Seattle Film Critics Society[63] December 16, 2019 Best Picture The Lighthouse Nominated
Best Director Robert Eggers Nominated
St. Louis Film Critics Association[64] December 15, 2019 Best Horror Film The Lighthouse Nominated
Toronto Film Critics Association December 8, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Willem Dafoe Runner-Up
Utah Film Critics Association[65] December 22, 2019 Best Supporting Actor Runner-Up
Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association[66] December 8, 2019 Best Cinematography Nominated

Imagine if Rocky was even submitted to Cannes, lol, what a joke. That would be like serving microwave dinner to a gourmet chef.

Yup, it won 0 Oscars, but it still won a few awards. Who cares though? At least I've never said a movie was rubbish that won as many awards as Lighthouse did. You can call Red Sparrow rubbish if you want. I never said Red Sparrow was a great movie, but at least it doesn't have a fight scene that's so bad it's good.

Actually he is one to be looked down on by elitists like me. Why? Because he looks stoned, half asleep, and retarded in all of his movies.
Hey little guy, are you threatening to get me banned for stating an opinion of a movie? You’re pathetic, dude. Get a life.

I can’t say a movie is rubbish, but you can say an actor looks “retarded”?

I think using the word "retarded" CAN get you banned in today's PC culture. Maybe? @Yoda

I respect your opinion of Rocky. You don’t like it and that’s fine. You need to respect other people’s opinions too. And stop picking fights on message boards. They’re stupid and a waste of your time. Go do something productive.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Thanks for the note. For anyone reading/future reference, yes, that kind of post is unacceptable, for multiple reasons.

Escalating unnecessarily isn't great either, even if you feel it was deserved/provoked/whatever. If someone's escalating a confrontation for no good reason, please just let me know. Thanks.

Lighthouse is rubbish, says the guy with a Rocky avatar. LOL
Can’t see the connection between one’s review of a movie & one’s avatar. If I don’t like a movie should I not wave the Union Jack?

Red Sparrow isn't a great movie, but it's better than Rocky.
Red Sparrow Was horrible. Rocky is a terrific movie.

Actually he is one to be looked down on by elitists like me.
You’re an “elitist”?

... in the UK 16 is the age of consent. You can get married at 16.
True, but the couple would need parental consent to marry. Except in Scotland where consent is not required.

Excellent movie based on true life. The trials & tribulations of teaching high school in NYC.

Oye... Calm down fellas! Should I bake a cake for you all?

Climax (2019) - 6.7/10. This was on the agenda for the last six months, but never got to it. The movie is the usual Gasper Noe's mind bending style. Might get a seizure by the finish line. At the end left me with so many questions. I don't like it when director's and scriptwriters leave a loose thread open like that. Calling the movie weird would be an understatement! I can't dance to save to save my life, but I do appreciate the art-form! I thought there would be more of it, but I was disappointed there! Recommended with hesitation!

But don't drink while watching it!

Harry Benson: Shoot First (2016)

Couldn't find the "documentaries" thread, so posting this here.

Benson has shot probably the most iconic pictures we've seen in the past 50 years. His photos of the Beatles, JFK, Muhammad Ali, Dwight Eisenhower, Bobby Fischer, Elizabeth Taylor, and on and on, are as instantly recognizable as they are fascinating.

Benson, who's still alive at aged 90, was always an impish and dogged trooper who always seemed to be at the right place at the right time. Since the 1960s he's been a most sought after photographer of the famous.

This is a very enjoyable 90 minutes, and most of it was shot without guile or staging. Great stuff.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Everything is Illuminated (2005)

Good and informative film with a story to tell. Elijah Wood is impressive as the American looking for the person that helped his grandfather in the Ukraine in the Second World War. There's culture clash as you would expect but the story is heartwarming and humbling.

Didn't even realise Liev Schreiber directed it, it was really well done.

I really liked "Everything". A special favorite was Eugene Hutz as Alex. Hutz himself is a terrific character, as the front man for Gogol Bordello. I've seen him perform live and it was a very tame version of him in the movie, but he still really stole the show. Like any story about the Holocaust, it could get very grim pretty quickly, Alex and his warped dog Sammy Davis Jr Jr, and Liev Schreiber's direction made it all work.

Rocky is the greatest movie ever made. Winner of 3 Oscars including Best Picture. The Lighthouse (rubbish) won...none. Red Sparrow (big-time rubbish) won...none. Sylvester Stallone is a 3-time Oscar nominee and a Golden Globe winning actor. He's not one to be looked down on by the so-called elitists on these boards, and I'm not one to be condescending to. I have a f***-all attitude.

So...f*** off, Felicia
Rocky loses a lot of steam on repeat viewings and while it did win several Oscars that year was somewhat weak in my eyes. I struggle to come up with 10 great films from that year. I don't know if I would even call it my favorite Rocky movie

http://www.films101.com/y1976r.htm

1. Killing of a Chinese Bookie, John Cassavettes
2. Carrie, Brian De Palma
3. Rocky, John Avildsen
4. In the Realm of Senses, Nagisa Oshima
5. All the Presidents Men, Alan Pakula
6. Network, Sidney Lumet
7. The Tenant, Roman Polanski
8. 1900, Bernardo Bertolucci
9. Taxi Driver, Martin Scorsese
10. God Told Me To, Larry Cohen

Altered State (1980) - 5.8/10. A very trippy movie. I did not pay much attention in first few minutes and it was all downhill from there. Watching it, I can see where Terrance Malick gets his inspiration from. The imagery would give his movies a run for its money. The movie was alright. It did save a lot of money on the costume department, coz most of the characters were naked throughout the film. Some of the visions, I can guess a lot of religious organizations would have objected to the movie. It's alright, nothing memorable.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sid & Judy
I wish this focused more on Judy.. Her husband annoyed me...

After listening to some of Judy's recordings on YouTube, it was great how she talked about how much she loved her kids, and how upset she was so many made money off her, except them... Then she talks about Sid... "An animal.. A thief, a sadist, a blackmailer.. Doesn't care one way or another about another soul, let alone his nice children. He's never contributed one penny to their upbringing. Never contributed an hour to their peace of mind. He's told them how how untalented they are, how stupid they are, who needs them. He's told them how he doesn't like them. That's a nice man, that's a big upstanding tramp! Well maybe he's in with the judges in Santa Monica court so I can't see my children now that I live in England. Because I can't live in the stench of Sid Luft, the judges, with "Judy's crazy". I know how to raise three kids, and damn well.. And I know how to be loved by a man who understands the pressures I've had to go through. And it's worth it. It's hell. The letters say "You've sinned"... I go to church every Sunday!