Top 5 David Cronenberg films

Tools    

Cronenberg is my favorite filmmaker, so I thought I'd throw out my top 5 films by him and see if I can get a discussion going.

5. EXISTENZ (1999)
4. VIDEODROME (1983)
3. EASTERN PROMISES (2007)
2. THE FLY (1986)
1. THE DEAD ZONE (1983)

What's your top 5?

I have't seen enough to answer this properly, but from the four that I have seen (and I liked all of them), I'd rank them:

1. Videodrome

2. Eastern Promises

3. The Fly

4. A History of Violence

Let the night air cool you off
I've only seen 6 of his films, but here's how I would rank them:

1. The Fly

2. Videodrome

3. eXistenZ

4. Scanners

Here's where it gets difficult for me. I like these films, but they frustrated me. I wanted to love them, but something kept me from it.

5. A History of Violence
6. Naked Lunch

I've only seen A History of Violence and wasn't a big fan.

He certainly seems to be a polarizing filmmaker. I've only ever hated one of his films, and that was COSMOPOLIS (2012).

For those of you who don't enjoy his movies, can you articulate what doesn't work for you?

Personally, I think a lot of his movies are just mediocre, and yet pretentiously made. A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, and A Dangerous Method left me feeling nothing at all, while Crash is pretty cringe-worthy, though not as terrible as it could have been given the screenplay. There's a couple of his I haven't seen, so with that in mind these are my favorites:

1. The Fly
2. Cosmopolis
3. Scanners
4. Videodrome
5. Eh, whatever, all the rest feel like they're on the same level.

Personally, I think a lot of his movies are just mediocre, and yet pretentiously made.
See, that sense of pretension is what really turned me off to COSMOPOLIS. The dialogue is chockablock with recondite platitudes that the film's narrative motifs are in no way interested in supporting. However, I feel that all of his other works are very thematically sound.

Cosmopolis is certainly pretentious, but it worked for me. I don't mind pretentious, and I don't think it is by itself a criticism, though some people do. I thought Cosmopolis worked, but even so I wouldn't rate that highly. Maybe I should have put it fourth on my list, because I just like the weird, cheesy vibe of Scanners and Videodrome.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've only seen three of his films. A History of Violence was quite good. Existenz was pretty bad. Cosmopolis is one of the worst films I have ever watched.

1. The Fly
2. The Brood
3. Videodrome
4. Dead Ringers
5. Eastern Promises

6. A History of Violence
7. The Dead Zone
8. Crash
9. Scanners
10. Shivers

I've seen seven of his films. It's kind of hard to rank them for me. He's an interesting director, he makes bold and unique films and I liked everything I've seen from him so far, but I can't say I truly LOVE any of his films yet. I don't really know why that's the case, because they're mostly all very clever and well made films and I do feel like I understand why some people are huge fans of his films. I personally find myself enjoying them, but I can't call any of them true favorites yet. It's impossible for me to rank his films, but I'll give a short commentary on every film I've seen from him so far:

Videodrome

Weird, little horror film that tackles the more detrimental aspects of media in a classic Cronenberg-like fashion! I like it. It's a deliciously f*cked up film.

The Fly

Possibly my favorite Cronenberg experience yet. It's horror at its most effective and it treats every single one of its characters with a great deal of respect (even the monster), which I really appreciated. My favorite scene is the "birth scene". Horror at its finest.
I'm not completely sure if the film would have the same effect on me during a rewatch, but it was able to completely captivate me during my first viewing of it in every possible way, so I guess I'd consider this my favorite film of his, for now.

Dead Ringers

A psychologically complex story about two twin brothers who're both famous doctors. It's weird, it's shocking and it's masterfully made, but sometimes I do think Cronenberg's fascination with the "extreme" gets in the way here of what could have been an even more profound and better movie. That's my opinion, though. I think it's a great film, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that some people make it out to be. I feel like the desire to shock took over in the end and reduced the story's resonance a little bit.
It's still one of Cronenberg's most ambitious films and I can definitely see why so many people call it a masterpiece. Jeremy Irons' performances are also incredible!

Crash

A very bold films about the search for emotional satisfaction through extreme experiences. I came to appreciate it more since my first viewing, but I wished it would focus a little bit more in depth on the mentality of its characters, in stead of repetitiously showing the shocking stuff that is the result of that mentality.

eXistenZ

This is a very enjoyable adventurous sci-fi film that contains most of Cronenberg's classic (gory and horror-like) features. Yep, I like this one.

A History of Violence

It's a neo-noir story that strongly focuses on the theme of violence. The difference between this film and other films of its genre is how much weight, attention and psychological consequences every single act of violence has in this film. The film is pretty good in those terms, but to me it feels a bit too particularly limited to its theme of violence to be something truly great or profound. That's why I don't LOVE it as much as many other people do.

Eastern Promises

A good film about the criminal underworld and its filthy consequences and about the people who are trying to undermine the existence of it through extreme sacrificices. I like this film, it's well directed and it has a couple of great scenes, but ultimately it's not that profound or refreshing content-wise as it appears to be. Still a cool watch.

His films are pretty much always intriguing, but equally off-putting. And man, if it isn't hard to watch them and not think "the guy who made this has some weird issues."

His films are pretty much always intriguing, but equally off-putting. And man, if it isn't hard to watch them and not think "the guy who made this has some weird issues."
You've got to love him though.

I don't know how I would rank his movies... my #1 would easily by The Fly, though, which I think is absolutely gut-wrenching and fantastic. #2 might be A History of Violence.

I've liked everything I've seen by him, though. Here's my attempt at ranking them - DEFINITELY not set in stone, I need to rewatch some of these:

1. The Fly
2. A History of Violence
3. Shivers
4. Videodrome
5. Eastern Promises
6. Scanners
7. eXistenZ

Loved A History of Violence and though I wasn't crazy about the film per se, Jeff Goldblum made The Fly worth watching. I liked Crash too. Those are the only Cronenberg films I've seen.

Greats posts, everybody. Here's hoping this thread inspires some of you to dig into the oeuvre of the Master of Body Horror.

1. The Fly
2. A History of Violence
3. Videodrome
4. Eastern Promises
5. The Dead Zone
6. Spider
7. A Dangerous Method

Still a lot I've yet to see. With the exception of Spider and A Dangerous Method, both of which I found mind-numbingly boring, I've liked his films, but I'd hesitate to say I loved any of them. He's certainly a very interesting, provocative filmmaker, though.

Alright here's my arrangement of the ones I've seen. I love Cronenberg, he's one of my favorite directors. Scanners is my favorite by quite a lot though. I really want to see Crash, but I guess I'm just waiting for the right mood. Dead Ringers is also pretty high on my to watch list. And for some reason I haven't watched The Fly since I was a kid, and I barely remember it. So I can't really rate it. I need to watch that again.

1. Scanners
2. Videodrome
3. Naked Lunch
4. Eastern Promises
5. eXistenZ
6. M. Butterfly
7. A History of Violence
8. Rabid
9. The Dead Zone

Yeh for me its history of violence and eastern promises