Monster comes from Music Box and grows in size

Tools    

This is a vivid memory from when I was little, in the early Eighties. It was most likely a film but could have been anything, maybe even an animation, but I feel like it was live action. I think it was black and white.

It was probably a kind of Arabian Nights story. A princess is sleeping and on the table beside her is a music box. As the music plays, something inside the box starts to grow and becomes a giant monster. This may have been followed by the hero fighting the monster in some kind of castle or a more open structure.

I'd love to find out what this was from if anyone can help.

Reposting this as I like to dust the question off every now and again:

This is a vivid memory from when I was little, in the early Eighties. It was most likely a film but could have been anything, maybe even an animation, but I feel like it was live action. I think it was black and white.

It was probably a kind of Arabian Nights story. A princess is sleeping and on the table beside her is a music box. As the music plays, something inside the box starts to grow and becomes a giant monster. This may have been followed by the hero fighting the monster in some kind of castle or a more open structure.

I'd love to find out what this was from if anyone can help.

Jack the Giant Killer (1962)
Well, what a strange feeling! To have that question answered after all these years – I thought I'd never find out, so thank you very much indeed.

Did you know the film instantly or had you seen the question and come across it since?

Surprising to see Kerwin Matthews and then Torin Thatcher being involved given they were in The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad together. The sound of the music box sent a shiver up my spine, equally the tiny jester and the sight of the castle. I had to laugh at the length of the trailer and the way they've slightly butchered Arthurian legend .

I've just bought it so I may post my reaction to it in the weeks to come.

Thanks again .

I would have never known the answer naturally, but thanks to my borderline unhealthy relationship with Rifftrax I knew the movie immediately. While it certainly isn't a great film, it has loads of heart and there's a weird sort of hyper-saturation of color that gives the whole thing a very unique look and feel.

I am very glad I could help, and I do recommend the Rifftrax Live of the movie once you've had a chance to flood your memory banks. =P

I would have never known the answer naturally, but thanks to my borderline unhealthy relationship with Rifftrax I knew the movie immediately. While it certainly isn't a great film, it has loads of heart and there's a weird sort of hyper-saturation of color that gives the whole thing a very unique look and feel.

I am very glad I could help, and I do recommend the Rifftrax Live of the movie once you've had a chance to flood your memory banks. =P
I'll bear that in mind, ta .