Let Me In

→ in
Tools    

Very dark and suspenseful movie. If you're generally a fan of the sci-fi/horror genre I believe you will automatically appreciate the quality of this movie. Reminded me of the days of watching X-Files in the dark. I liked it alot and wish there were more like it.

Pretty much everyone says it's incredibly similar to Let the Right One In, and pretty much everyone loves Let the Right One In, so wouldn't it be more perplexing if people didn't like it?

Let Me In was really good in my opinion. I consider myself an anti-vamp movie watcher but I was convinced to watch this one night and I was surprised how much I like it. Ive heard the swedish version is very similar but even better. So in the very near future I will be watching the original.

Try Let the Right One In (2008). That's exactly like it.
Its the original. Let me in is an American remake of it for lazy Americans who refuse to read subtitles. I loved Let the right one in, it was beautifully filmed and intense. I wont see let me in because even the trailer appeared to be a shot for shot English version. and I find that rude...

He knows it's the original. And I think saying the remake is for "lazy Americans who refuse to read subtitles" is a fairly insulting generalization and, given that you haven't seen the remake, kind of lazy in and of itself, no?

I'll be seeing this one pretty soon, but I'm pretty stunned and how quickly everyone lapsed into all the most obvious criticisms and cliches about Let Me In, even long, long before it was released. They're too formulaic and were repeated too often and too prematurely to have been, in most cases, honest criticism. It all feels so predictable and kneejerk.

I strain to understand how all those cliches could be true when a) it's got 89% on Rotten Tomatoes, and b) it made very little money, despite allegedly being specifically designed to target us stupid, functionally illiterate Americans.

Whether good or bad, it seems pretty clear that it doesn't fit all the lazy stereotypes people were talking about well in advance of its release.

The ratings aren't based on the general populace, just critics, and quite a few of them, too. So unless you find almost all of them to be "convoluted" (?) all of the time, it's a reasonable metric to summarize the standing of a given film. If you prefer Metacritic, that's got the film at 79.

But this is beside the point, because the context in which I mentioned this had nothing to do with what you think about opinion aggregators. I was taking issue with the idea that the film was some kind of cash grab designed to appeal to lazy moviegoers, given that it's fairly well-loved by critics (who we can safely assume are tolerant of subtitles) and didn't make much money.

I don't prefer Metacritic, hell I prefer this site's opinions over RT or the like, which is scary sometimes.

I can't tell you what critics saw in it because I don't share their views on what's good and what isn't, all I can tell you is that it got applauded when I saw it here and I wanted to vomit in retaliation.

Hey, I'm not going to argue taste. I mean, I will, in the sense that I'll explain why I liked or disliked it after I see it. I'm just taking issue with the kneejerk narrative that sprung up around this so quickly and, in my opinion, carelessly. And with the incredible tension between the idea that it's both very, very similar to the original and very, very bad. The worst you could say about a film incredibly similar to a film you love is that it's unnecessary.

All that said, I'm pretty sure "vomit in retaliation" is going in my signature in the near future.

Which one is better, the original or the rehash. Well this is typical problem most are faced with when it comes to reviewing remakes of a successful film.

With both films a different style is imposed, these styles vary from each other so it usually is personal preference. The American version. Or the Foreign version.

As a typical American I hate American films and rely on out of state films. In fact let the right one in was in my top 100 list. But in this certain case the remake was great, and in my eyes surpassed that of the original. This is a rare case because the thing, and the fly were well known for their remakes. And I hope this one is as well

First, I quite enjoyed the acting in this film. You feel more for the character during the film which is a great feeling. Also the characters appeared realistic and the bullies scared me. While in the original I felt as if the bullies were annying kid actors. The acting done in. This film was splendid and surpassed it because of this very reason. Of course we are entitled to your opinions, but In the group of my cinematic friends they all agreed that acting was a great improvement

The realistic elements in this film were stunning. Of course he use of SFX were clearly used you could actually see the action. Instead of a little girl clinging unto her prey. I like the original, but this one felt more improved on this aspect.

So Better characters and an improved realistic approach make this film stunning compared to the original. Of course the original will always linger in my mind. Movies are my passion. And though not all may agree. I hoped to be welcome in this forum.

By the by, I did end up seeing the American version. I prefer the original, but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of it. The remake shifts the emphasis a little, putting a little more focus on the investigation around the killings, a decision I quite liked. It also spent a bit more time showing Owen being bullied, I think. I'm more indifferent to that choice.

Let Me In is a little more overtly scary and it goes to greater lengths to show how vicious Abby can be. I'm pretty torn on whether or not that makes the film better or worse. On one hand, I found it to be a bit more tense, as it established Abby's ferocity pretty well. On the other, the disconnect between the things Abby does and how sweet and innocent she looks has plenty of benefits, too (I think it makes the finale in the pool that much more jaw-dropping, for example). So in the end I think it's just a slightly different stylistic choice. I'll take the original because I prefer how low-key it is in comparison, and I like the ways in which is surprised me, but the two films are far more similar than not and it was interesting to see a remake that wasn't either a shot-for-shot recreation or a total revamp (pun intended, hehe).

Let Me In is a little more overtly scary and it goes to greater lengths to show how vicious Abby can be. I'm pretty torn on whether or not that makes the film better or worse.
I thought that it made it so much better

I can see both sides. On one hand, the benefits of making her scarier are obvious. On the other, contrasting what she does when she's hungry with how harmless she seems otherwise has lots of value. It also makes the film feel unlike any other vampire story. So I'd lean more towards the original's approach there, but I'm sure glad I got to see each.