18.52%
20 votes
1980s
29.63%
32 votes
1990s
108 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I am having a nervous breakdance
Okay, so which is your favourite movie decade?? I am focusing on sound film here so that's why I'm starting with the 30s and since we're in the middle of a decade the 90s is the latest decade that you can vote for.

Some examples:

1930s: Gone with the Wind, M, Duck Soup, All Quiet on the Western Front, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Modern Times, The Wizard of Oz, La Grande illusion, The 39 Steps, Stagecoach, La Règle du jeu

1940s: Casablanca, Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, Ladri di biciclette, The Grapes of Wrath, The Maltese Falcon, The Red Shoes, The Great Dictator, Notorius, The Third Man, Roma, cìtta aperta

1950s: Rear Window, 12 Angry Men, Shichinin no samurai, Sunset Blvd., Le Salaire de la peur, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Singin' in the Rain, High Noon, Det sjunde inseglet, On the Waterfront

1960s: Psycho, Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned How to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 8½, Yojimbo, The Manchurian Candidate, Easy Rider, Persona, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Wild Bunch

1970s: The Godfather(s), Star Wars, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, Alien, A Clockwork Orange, Annie Hall, Aguirre der Zorn Gottes, Solyaris, All the President's Men, Jaws

1980s: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Raging Bull, Das Boot, Ran, Once Upon a Time in America, Blade Runner, Stand By Me, Platoon, The Breakfast Club, Brazil, Die Hard

1990s: The Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, Schindler's List, La Vita è bella, The Matrix, Fight Club, The Silence of the Lambs, La Haine, American Beauty

So... what do you say??

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Easy call for me: THE 1970s.

The old Studio system finally collapsed and a bunch of new voices and styles were unleashed in mainstream American cinema, from Scorsese and Coppola to Spielberg and Lucas to Altman and Ashby to Woody Allen and Clint Eastwood to Bogdanovich and Malick. Oh, and some of the best films from Kubrick, John Huston, Truffaut, Peckinpah, Cassavettes, etc. Hollywood may never again see this level of artistic saturation, experimentation and change in its A-List and atop its box office receipts. A grand, glorious time, and the last great era of American filmmaking. A new generation of Method actors took to the fore with these directors as well, including DeNiro, Nicholson, Hoffman, Pacino, Duvall and Hackman. Plus the rise of international filmmaking talents such as Werner Herzog, Nicolas Roeg, Wim Wenders, Lina Wertmüller, Bernardo Bertolucci, Ridley Scott, etc.

Chinatown, Taxi Driver, Nashville, The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, Jaws, Little Big Man, The Man Who Would Be King, Solaris, The Long Goodbye, Aguirre: Wrath of God, M*A*S*H, Network, The Conformist, The Conversation, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather Part II, Don't Look Now, Close Encounters of the Third Kind , Apocalypse Now, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Mean Streets, Night Moves, Days of Heaven, Young Frankenstein, Star Wars, A Woman Under the Influence, The French Connection, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Barry Lyndon, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Stroszek, A Boy & His Dog, Images, Catch-22, Paper Moon, The Sugarland Express, Alien, Being There, The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers, Lenny, Serpico, All the President's Men, The In-Laws, Day for Night, The Last Waltz, Five Easy Pieces, Harold & Maude, The Last Picture Show, Cries & Whispers, Deliverance, The Sting, Badlands, Dersu Uzala, The Mirror, The Passenger, Dog Day Afternoon, Picninc at Hanging Rock, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Bound for Glory, Grey Gardens, Marathon Man, The Outlaw Josey Wales, That Obscure Object of Desire, Annie Hall, Straight Time, Midnight Express, The China Syndrome, The Tin Drum and on and on and on.

Definitely my favorite decade.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, can't really argue with you there, Holden. Maybe the question should have been "which is the second best decade"? What would your answer be then, Holds?

It is a tough call, the 80's were so, well 80's. For sheer genuis I would have to go with the 70's, but for sheer "fun", and being a ripe ol' teenager throughout most of the 80's, they were the best.

Originally Posted by 7thson
It is a tough call, the 80's were so, well 80's. For sheer genuis I would have to go with the 70's, but for sheer "fun", and being a ripe ol' teenager throughout most of the 80's, they were the best.
The 80s are back, aren't they? A lot of the 80s films have been looked down at, and often not without good reasons. But I think there were a lot of gems in there to hidden under all the gloss and shallow F.U.N.!!! And will they ever make high school and college films like they made them in the 80s? I think we will also regard the 80s as the great cult movie decade, if we're not allready doing it. All those straight-to-video action and horror flicks that were being pumped out. It's all just a big plastic treasure....

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
The 80s are back, aren't they? .
Definitely, the only thing I threw out from that time is my "half shirts"...everything else: golden...

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Maybe the question should have been "which is the second best decade"? What would your answer be then, Holds?
I think I'd have to go with the 1950s. Too much great American and World cinema packed into those ten years. Then I'd flip a coin between the '40s and '60s for third. But every decade has plenty of amazing films in it.

Well, my favorite is the 1950s. But my second favorite would have to be the '40s.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I would have to say the 1990's, cause that's when most of my favourite films were made. There were a lot of truly original independant films, and Hollywood films seemed to become bolder and more risk taking for awhile there. Of course, that didn't last but it produced a lot of really great movies.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The 70s, by a country mile. It's without peer.

I'd rank the 50s, 40s & 90s next...

So many good movies, so little time.
I was a little surprised but when I counted 28 of of my top 100 were from the fifties.

The Searchers (1956),The Seven Samurai (1954), Some Like it Hot (1959), North by Northwest (1959), Rashomon (1950) , Ugestsu (1953) , Rear Window (1954) , Singin' in the Rain (1952) , The Quiet Man (1952) , High Noon (1952), The 400 Blows (1959), Wild Strawberries (1957) , Paths of Glory (1957) , Tokyo Story (1953), Diabolique (1955) , Pickup on South Street (1953), Ben Hur (1959), The Throne of Blood (1957), Kiss Me Deadly (1955), On the Waterfront (1954) , Bob le flambeur (1955), The Gunfighter (1950) , Destry Rides Again (1954), Vertigo (1958), The Killing(1956) , Sunset Blvd (1950), Shane (1953), and Touch of Evil (1958)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I'll go with the 90's,despite the fact that my favourite movie was from the 70's(Alien),but I grew up watching movies from that decade,however my second best decade would be the 80's that's the farest I can go

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by uconjack
I was a little surprised but when I counted 28 of of my top 100 were from the fifties.
That's interesting as I have a pretty even spread across The Tatty 100 with the 70s coming out on top. There's a surprising number of films from the 80s in there too though, as HP said, there's plenty of classic films in every decade...

...I haven't got many from 2000-06 though.

Put me in your pocket...
My favorite decades are the 1930's and 40's equally....movie/story/actor/actress wise. Too many favorites to name and not enough time to type or search it all out on IMDB.

When I've looked up many of my current/contemporary/other favorites...most seem to be in the 1990's. So, I guess that would be my second favorite decade.

Definately the 70's gritty realism at its finest.

Second place goes to the 80's the best decade as far as Horror/Sci-FI goes, otherwise full of teen sex comedies and John Hughes (yuk!)

Originally Posted by Othelo
Second place goes to the 80's the best decade as far as Horror/Sci-FI goes, otherwise full of teen sex comedies and John Hughes (yuk!)
I know! The '80s are a joke, right?!? I mean it's not like there were great films such as Amadeus, RAN, Raging Bull, Once Upon A Time in America, Do the Right Thing, The Elephant Man, This Is Spinal Tap, Missing, Wings of Desire, The Killing Fields, Crimes & Midemeanors, Barfly, The Right Stuff, Das Boot, Reds, Bird, Tess, Gandhi, Pennies from Heaven, The Thin Blue Line, Fitzcarraldo, The Last Temptation of Christ, Hope & Glory, Empire of the Sun, Full Metal Jacket, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, Hannah & Her Sisters, Spoorloos, Platoon, Glory, Henry V, Jean de Florette, Manon of the Spring, Drugstore Cowboy, Cinema Paradiso, Fanny & Alexander, Rain Man, Matewan, Stand by Me, My Left Foot, Camille Claudel, Tootsie, Diner, Tin Men, A Fish Called Wanda, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Withnail & I, Au Revoir Les Enfants, The Decline of the American Empire, Airplane!, The Mission, Brazil, Shoah, Paris Texas, When Harry Met Sally..., Under the Volcano and others of that quality.

You're right, it was full of Sci-Fi, endless horror sequels, teen comedies and not much else. Pitiful little Electric Boogalooin' decade!

I know I am in the minority here, but I gauged my vote based on movies I saw "in the theater". Certainly the 70's & the 50's (at least IMO) were better overall for cinematic genuis, but I really cannot remember a time in which I had so much fun going to the movies. It might have been the times or it might just be because I was a teenager and nothing else like a fun night at the theater got me more gropes and french kisses than a good 'ol 80's horror/teen film, but I see the 80's as just plain old fun, and thats what I look for in seeing movies at the theater. At least I did then. I have grown up now (so I am told) and do not have to take my girlfriend to a horror movie just to be able to put my arm around her. These days I have to cook a nice dinner and buy flowers.....so less expensive back then.

Death Is So Becoming ;>
Though I picked the 80's, I also favor the 50's and 60's.

Depends on the genre of film
70's/80's for Driving films (Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy and alike)
Horrors (Nightmare on Elm St., The Amityville Horror) and alike)
Comedy (The Carry On films, Monty Python and so on)

90's/00's for Thrillers and Drama's (Pulp Fiction, The Green Mile......)
Animation (Car's, Toy Story, Shrek, Madagascar.....)
And more films based on true stories (10 Rillington Place, Monster
Ted Bundy, An American Haunting and i'm looking forward to
'Pierrepoint')