Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55643901

Hidden - (2015)

A couple and their their young daughter have holed up in a fallout shelter from the apocalypse - surviving 301 days, despite nerves fraying and heavy fatigue. On their 302nd day they are beset by disaster after disaster as they realize their time is running out.

If you like the sound of the above you should really check out Hidden. For the first three-quarters the film doesn't have one single misstep, with a taught atmosphere it builds up to a climax that is probably impossible to please every viewer, or even most viewers. The Duffer brothers, who wrote and directed this, would go on to create the Stranger Things TV series.

7/10

I Lost My Body

This is a morbid but also kind of lovely French animated film about a, um, disembodied hand and its search for attachment. It's also about destiny, loss, and grief, in the story of a young man searching for himself in the aftermath of tragedy. The subject matter is rather dark at times by necessity but it doesn't wallow in misery. The animation is rich and detailed--the focus on small, seemingly mundane details gives beauty to the ordinary. 8/10
Yeah, I liked this one a lot.

Never seen this before. The two leads so good.
Indeed, and in case you're interested in reading a write-up analyzing the way it deconstructed Film Noir as whole, here's the link to my entry on it in my genre deconstruction thread: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...27#post2176127

I'd give this a
or a
myself. The most glaring issue I have with it is that except
WARNING: spoilers below
for the gym teacher,
it's hard to feel sympathy for any of the friends. They have wives, children, good jobs, nice places to live, etc., so their little experiment came across as an exercise of privilege and something that would end with them realizing how good they have it rather than an attempt to make their lives better and more meaningful.

Who knows, with a pandemic still raging, maybe it's just bad timing. It would have sat well alongside movies like Office Space, Fight Club and American Beauty in the late '90s, for instance. I'm not saying you can't make movies about such people finding happiness and/or meaning in their lives, but since I don't need to mention the devastation COVID has caused, seeing such fulfilled people complain about not being slightly more fulfilled is not something I can imagine many people needing right now.

Is Denmark a country that consumes alcohol heavily? Maybe I'm just out of the loop culturally
(the beer race in the opening scene seems to indicate that).

Unregistered User
I'd give this a
or a
for the gym teacher,
it's hard to feel sympathy for any of the friends. They have wives, children, good jobs, nice places to live, etc., so their little experiment came across as an exercise of privilege and something that would end with them realizing how good they have it rather than an attempt to make their lives better and more meaningful.

Who knows, with a pandemic still raging, maybe it's just bad timing. It would have sat well alongside movies like Office Space, Fight Club and American Beauty in the late '90s, for instance. I'm not saying you can't make movies about such people finding happiness and/or meaning in their lives, but since I don't need to mention the devastation COVID has caused, seeing such fulfilled people complain about not being slightly more fulfilled is not something I can imagine many people needing right now.

Is Denmark a country that consumes alcohol heavily? Maybe I'm just out of the loop culturally

I get what youre saying Torgo, its release may be bad timing for some. I was able to distance from it myself so it didnt bother me.

As for asking are Denmark known for heavy drinking? I'm in Ireland so its hard for me to compare

I was a little disappointed by it. The emotion in the last 30 minutes was great but it took far too long to get there and it seemed like an addon, just to give the film some emotion. And the ending? Just silly.

I can't believe this got best international film at the oscars and baftas. Especially over 'Quo Vadis Aida', which is a phenomenal film. I could probably name 15 more deserving films this year. Then again awards are gonna award.

As for asking are Denmark known for heavy drinking? I'm in Ireland so its hard for me to compare
LOL

Originally Posted by ScarletLion
I was a little disappointed by it. The emotion in the last 30 minutes was great but it took far too long to get there and it seemed like an addon, just to give the film some emotion. And the ending? Just silly.
I like the ending slightly more than you did even though I'm not sure I totally understood it.
Is the whole idea behind it that we're supposed to wonder if Martin is so happy because he's drunk or because his wife wants to get back together?

LOL

I like the ending slightly more than you did even though I'm not sure I totally understood it.
Is the whole idea behind it that we're supposed to wonder if Martin is so happy because he's drunk or because his wife wants to get back together?

WARNING: "another round" spoilers below

It signals his new lease of life. He's come through his mid life crisis and fortunately his marriage is back on track.

I'm not against that type of thing. I like how this is done in Beau Travail or Frances Ha or Mauvais Sang etc but those films suit that sort of scene as the tone is the same. But Another Round is a straight up drama that somehow tries to turn into an arthouse flick ending.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Thursday - 7.5/10
Within minutes, I knew this had to be Dino Risi; it was very similar to "Il Sorpasso", not as great, but maybe a bit more tender, since the two main characters are father and son, who haven't seen each other in five years. Light-hearted, but not corny or dumb. Even funny at times. The father played by Walter Chiari is a very good actor, especially in this comedy.

Broken Law (2020)

Ok but plodding piece of Irish gangster cop whimsy. Enjoyed the music more than the film sadly.

I'd give this a
or a
for the gym teacher,

Bad Boy Bubby just seemed like a comedy to me, apart from the cats so OTT you couldn't take it seriously at all.

Okja (2017)

Cute movie about the relationship of a cute girl and a genetically engineered "superpig", from the director of Host and Parasyte. This director is a modern master, his movies are very memorable and multifaceted: his movies don't have an obvious ideological side but instead allow us to see an issue from multiple perspectives (like, some argued Parasyte was left-wing, others that it was right-wing or even reactionary). In this movie, simultaneously mocks the meat industry but also the animal rights activists who are depicted as hilariously incompetent terrorists.