Most Memorable Movie Characters and WHY

Tools    

Tyler- "Fight Club"

What made him memorable- A real voice for the generation, blunt, honest, and the extension of what most of us want to be. The real archetype for the man uninhibited/unrestrained by society's standards. Charismatic, a leader, a winner

10. Michael Myers (Halloween)

Many people, myself included, did not enjoy Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween. And come to think of it, Halloween II was even worse. However, the films had their moments due to the iconic character being shown on the screen. There are many horror slashers out there but, none as un-original yet solid as Michael Myers.

9. Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street)

A man with knives for fingers, and a surprisingly flat-out badass personality, which is rare for a serial killer, all build suspense and development, despite the remake's best efforts, of a classic slasher. If only those who realized the significance of Freddy's characterization also realized how creative his catch phrases are put together throughout the film. Strong script, strong cast, and most importantly, strong antagonist, Freddy defined A Nightmare on Elm Street, not its suspense or story alone.

8. Jason Vorhees (Friday the 13th)

Friday the 13th, the remake anyways, did get one thing right: Jason. And that's what I love about his character. The film can be remade countless times over and the character, as meanacing and gore-lusting as his faceless and shadow-free hockey mask shows, will never, ever, get old.

7. Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump)

Probably one of the most quoted characters in the history of film, Forrest Gump in, well, Forrest Gump, gives audiences a strange connection not found in other movies. Tom Hanks's incredible performance also benefits here.

6. Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

The movie being quoted more than its titular character, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the most revealing about Indy's character. Jones is one of the more prolific heroes film has to offer. Why? Because he doesn't hide what he's afraid of, yet shows off in the light of the things he isn't afraid of. Sometimes, he will just ignore his fears and save the day. That's what I love about Mr. Jones - he's a man of adventure, and likes to express that.

5. Darth Vader (Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back)

In Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, we met Anakin and were not sure how such a boy could end up where he did. In Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones, we began to witness his hatred and rage. And finally, in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Darth Vader was born. We met Vader in full form in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope and loved his sinister dark ways, including his costume. But, above all, in Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back, Vader's quote comes to light, even he bathing in its glory. There's no other reason to rule out why Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi wasn't chosen, because Vader's fate is ultimately one of depression yet of victory, one of mourning however at the same time, representing triumph. This has always sparked me. When I watch a movie, I literally understand every single frame that I am watching. I understood Donnie Darko when I first saw it, Southland Tales when I first saw it, and many others, including Inception and its ending. The reasoning behind this is that you must contain an open mind. Don't take anything that seriously but, don't understate your emotions. Keep it all there, and remember that the movie is most likely trying to be symbolic and represent meaning behind its film grain. Vader's fate in the final film, for example, made me realize this. Film is mostly all about symbolism - and even when a film doesnt have symbolism in it - that's symbolic as well because, they usually do.

4. The Joker (The Dark Knight)

This role cost Ledger his life. To be blunt, and with no dis-respect to Mr. Ledger, I can see why. Such effort is thrown into not only Ledger's performance but, his The Joker's character. It's interesting to watch The Dark Knight unfold on screen. The truth is, whether you admit it or not, The Dark Knight is more of a remake than a sequel. It is a remake, in my opinion, to Burton's original Batman. Remakes set out to either "update" or "better" a film due to time. As in this case, Ledger takes up Nicholson's grand performance with a more sinister and sadistic criminal than Ledger himself probably couldn't have predicted. It's times I view the film, that I wonder whether or not Heath Ledger has lost himself in the role, as if he's become The Joker and not simply acting. It sounds ridiculous I know but, looking back at how devoted he was into pulling an absolutely incredible performance off in this, it seems probable.

3. R.P. McMurphy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

Nicholson's best movie and best performance period. If there was ever a film character that perfectly suited Jack Nicholson, R.P. McMurphy would fit the bill. Outrageous, hilarious, clever, yet abusive, cruel, and selfish - there's no one quite like McMurphy out there. Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the novel upon which the film is based, even reminds you of Nicholson's face while reading the dialogue, for some odd reason. It's because if you've seen the movie, you know how well you connected to him, and in the book, we get more of what we miss. By far one of the best performances of all time in film, Nicholson has always gained my respect, whether in How Do You Know or Chinatown, his performances always benefit.

2. James Bond (Dr. No)

Yes, I am aware that Pierce Brosnan did not play in Dr. No; you may be asking yourself why I even chose a specific film since so many have played the iconic character in so many sequels. My main reason for this is when it was the first time general audiences were introduced to this character. He's always been MI6's top agent and he's always been our favorite action hero.

1. Ash (The Evil Dead)

There's almost nobody more badass, more comic, or more clever than Ash. I watched this film for the first time yesterday, and The Evil Dead is now one of my favorite movies, and I plan on watching Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness in the meantime. Bruce Campbell defines Ash. There's no doubt about that. Ash is the manliest movie character ever to embrace the screen.

These should have up there somewhere.

Ghostface (Scream)

I know some will try to argue about this but, I do believe that Daniel Day-Lewis's Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood deserves some recognition on my lists as well.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Pulp Fiction: The Gimp.

Why you ask?

Because its a Gimp and it's in a mainstream movie.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i love the character of amol palekar in golmaal

To name some:

Maximus Decimus Meridius - Gladiator

Patrick Bateman
- American Psycho

The Joker - The Dark Knight

Neo - The Matrix

Leonidas - 300

Terrence
- Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Indiana Jones - Indiana Jones franchise

Connor and Murphy - The Boondock Saints

William Wallace - Braveheart

James Bond - James Bond series

Alan Garner - The Hangover

Forrest Gump - Forrest Gump

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Oh this could be a very long list, but as I'm meant to be cleaning the house, I'll start with the first two that spring to mind. I'm sure I'll come back later.

Ferris Bueller - Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I thought I'd begin with an iconic character that is a constant reminder to me (and I'm sure many others) to live life to the fullest. Every guy and girl either wants to be him or date him. I personally feel there is now a little part of Ferris in me, and whenever I am hesitant about taking a leap, or being feeling down, or just plain taking life all to seriously, that little Ferris shouts out any one of his inspiring quotes to help me out.

Withnail - Withnail & I (1987)

"I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze."

Once he has been seen, he will be in your brain forever. The character is portrayed too perfection by Richard E. Grant and every moment is either laughable or terrible, but without a doubt, completely memorable. Once of my most quoted characters.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Patrick Bateman is a truly memorable character. He's remarkable, because he's sick, twisted, psychotic and very likeable. He's also very funny, especially when he talks about Huey Lewis in a Jim Carrey voice and does that stupid little dance.

I'd also go with any villian played by Alan Rickman.

"It's blunt, you twit. It'll hurt more."

1. Norman Bates from Psycho. The most psychologically complex movie villain of all time.

2. Ron Burgundy from Anchorman. Just freakin' hilarious.

3. Vito Corleone from The Godfather. A sympathetic mobster.

4. Palpatine from the Star Wars films. Possibly the most manipulative, devious, and snakelike character ever put on film.

5. Jack Torrance from The Shining. Nickolson's best performance.

6. Scott Pilgrim from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. The ultimate nerd hero.

7. HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. The only character in the film who shows any emotion.

8. The Joker from The Dark Knight. One of the most psychotic -and fun to watch- characters ever.

9. Harry Callahan from Dirty Harry. Eastwood's best performance.

10. Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. The ultimate bitch nurse.

11. Michael Corleone from The Godfather Trilogy. the entire series revolves around him, after all.

12. Spider-Man from the Spider-Man Trilogy. Cause I'm a fanboy.

Just to name a few.

1. I have to agree with Redux. The Joker from the Dark Knight.

2. Randomly enough, Elf. Comedy always sticks in my mind, and Will Farrell was certainly a memorable bufoon of a man in that movie.