Why people hate popular films or directors?

Tools    

None. I dislike some Lynch films but on the other hand, I really like some, so would only rate him as hit or miss.

Don’t have any director yet. Not even Bay or Snyder.

As for films, the only one I could "hate" are the extremely bad ones. Like the last airbender or Batman and Robin.
Batman & Robin is a wonderful homage to the ‘66 show. Throw some respect on it.

The Last Airbender deserves all the ire though.

I don't even understand what your first sentence here is supposed to mean. Are you giving me the Universally Accepted Definition of Hate? And what are your "stats"? Box office? Most box-office is earned opening week and is actually based on marketing. Or a bad movie, like Suicide Squad, just inexplicably makes over $300M domestic alone when it should probably have never seen the light of day. Box office is hardly a metric of film quality. Critical reviews are all subjective and in the era of the internet, there are literally thousands of people out there being counted as critics who have no qualification for the title whatsoever.
And then quotes on "opinion" and saying that peoples' opinion is objectively wrong? That's not a thing.
So I don't understand your sentence at all.
And then this bit about people who voice an opinion being too "vocal"? What is this rant about, really?
It just sounds like you're cranky because some people didn't like some popular movies you did and said so and you're mad. So you started a thread about it?
It mostly because i don't agree with pretentious pseudo-intellectuals which will bash those films, which have been praised by the majority of film critics and moviegoers, and downplay em, to prop up some artsy film that none cares about like Midsommar or Only God Forgives

Hate = someone who dislikes something irrationally.

Stats = awards, critical ratings, best of decade lists, box office

Batman & Robin is a wonderful homage to the ‘66 show. Throw some respect on it.

The Last Airbender deserves all the ire though.
Didn't like either.

It mostly because i don't agree with pretentious pseudo-intellectuals which will bash those films, which have been praised by the majority of film critics and moviegoers, and downplay em, to prop up some artsy film that none cares about like Midsommar or Only God Forgives
Dog, I think you just gotta be more confident in the things you like. I'm sorry some snarky arthouse phony talked trash about your favs and you felt dumb afterwards but that persons take is equally as worthless as yours or mine or anyone elses. Just let it go and like what you like.

Dog, I think you just gotta be more confident in the things you like. I'm sorry some snarky arthouse phony talked trash about your favs and you felt dumb afterwards but that persons take is equally as worthless as yours or mine or anyone elses. Just let it go and like what you like.
I simply disagree because people who hate this stuff, will slam down some of these titles as "dumb for casual moviegoers", or popcorn flicks, and say the latter is more sophisticated and intellectual, i don't think this is being fair, but just being a know-it-all.

Especially, when all stats are in the side of the said titles.... having nothing in hand, except some subjective take, mean that you're being arrogant since there's no thesis to support.

I still like everything, don't worry. I mean, people's opinion and favorites don't change, even after years.

I simply disagree because people who hate this stuff, will slam down some of these titles as "dumb for casual moviegoers", or popcorn flicks, and say the latter is more sophisticated and intellectual, i don't think this is being fair, but just being a know-it-all.

Especially, when all stats are in the side of the said titles.... having nothing in hand, except some subjective take, mean that you're being arrogant since there's no thesis to support.

I still like everything, don't worry. I mean, people's opinion and favorites don't change, even after years.
Yeah, you're right. The wide-appealing critically acclaimed films have all the stats and facts in their corner. Quantifiably great films. I just don't understand where all this vitriol towards these baseless nay-sayers is coming from. Like, the masses, the stats, even the critics agree with you here so why would it matter what some fringe nobodies have to say?

Yeah, you're right. The wide-appealing critically acclaimed films have all the stats and facts in their corner. Quantifiably great films. I just don't understand where all this vitriol towards these baseless nay-sayers is coming from. Like, the masses, the stats, even the critics agree with you here so why would it matter what some fringe nobodies have to say?
I don’t think everything is arbitrary, therefore i'd say they are "quantifiably" considered great.

I simply don’t understand why people hate, even to the extreme things that are loved

What an arrogant thing to say. Both those films are worth watching. Many people care about them. Are you trolling again?

At this point I'm not even sure this is a serious account I'm replying to.

Stats never tell the full picture. Daniel Day Lewis is ranked 399th in the list of movie stars with the biggest box office returns ($$ brought in from his films) 50 places behind Dolph Lundgren. Is Dolph Lundgren a better actor?

No. Because as we all know, box office has zero bearing on the quality of a film. Just like academy awards.

What an arrogant thing to say. Both those films are worth watching. Many people care about them. Are you trolling again?

At this point I'm not even sure this is a serious account I'm replying to.

Stats never tell the full picture. Daniel Day Lewis is ranked 399th in the list of movie stars with the biggest box office returns ($$ brought in from his films) 50 places behind Dolph Lundgren. Is Dolph Lundgren a better actor?

No. Because as we all know, box office has zero bearing on the quality of a film. Just like academy awards.
Critically panned? Check. Art-house by an indipendent director, with box office flop? Check.

Blu-ray sales? Check. All lead to that conclusion.

I'm not "trolling", also DDL is rated highly in every single best actor list, and has 3 oscars under his belt.

It makes sense that some might rank some blockbuster as fluff, to prop up those titles.

Critically panned? Check. Art-house by an indipendent director, with box office flop? Check.

Blu-ray sales? Check. All lead to that conclusion.

I'm not "trolling", also DDL is rated highly in every single best actor list, and has 3 oscars under his belt.

It makes sense that some might rank some blockbuster as fluff, to prop up those titles.
So your post basically proves that stats and awards mean zero.

By the way, Midsommar was in no way critically panned. Quite the opposite. So much so that it resulted in the release of the Directors cut and a 4K BluRay.

Your posts reek of arrogance and ignorance, ironic really as you're seemingly belittling 'pseudo-intellect'.

I don’t think everything is arbitrary, therefore i'd say they are "quantifiably" considered great.

I simply don’t understand why people hate, even to the extreme things that are loved

I simply don't understand why this affects you so personally. I just want to know who hurt you.

You ready? You look ready.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Let's pump the brakes on the personalization, it's not really (or entirely) necessary, even if you feel someone's being unreasonable/irrational/whatever.

Midsommar has an 83% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Which is higher than Seven (81%) and Fight Club (79%).

Not that it should matter, obviously, but I feel like I should win something here.

I simply don't understand why this affects you so personally. I just want to know who hurt you.
Stop being such a subjective know-it-all. Or at least stop being so vocal about it.

It doesn’t. I apologize if I I am vocal in it. But I don’t know why some people would continue saying those things even if they’re wrong in every single way, shape or form according to impersonal parameters

So your post basically proves that stats and awards mean zero.

By the way, Midsommar was in no way critically panned. Quite the opposite. So much so that it resulted in the release of the Directors cut and a 4K BluRay.

Your posts reek of arrogance and ignorance, ironic really as you're seemingly belittling 'pseudo-intellect'.
I am not arrogant neither ignorant. I am just living in the real world.

Being said, Midsommar has a moderate approval from either, hasn’t been praised by awards, best list of decades and didn’t sell much.

Therefore, in those measurable aspect: it’s a forgotten film, just like only god forgives.

Being said, Midsommar has a moderate approval from either, hasn’t been praised by awards, best list of decades and didn’t sell much.
What did you think of Midsommar when you saw it?

I am an irrational hater and pseudo-intellectual snob. I embrace my hatred and started avoiding Hollywood films in the late Eighties when the Hollywood blockbuster became the principal movie made in said 'burg. The studios were catering to an international audience so movies with snappy dialogue were not being made, they didn't want to take risk on movies only a small section of the viewing public would like. They wanted every film to be Jaws. I liked Jaws but not every film should be summer fluff. I started avoiding my local theater and went to art houses. I stopped going to the arthouse in the 2000's because I didn't want to pay for parking I went back to the local theater. Now Marvel movies are fun but they don't have much to say. I have said before I am a grown-up and this kind of kid fare mostly doesn't appeal to me. I have nothing against kid fare per se but don't tell me the Marvel movies are for grown-ups. They ain't and that is categorical.

Judging the quality of a film based on the amount of awards or positive critical reviews it got isn't a metric for which is the better film. It's just a measure of how much popularity the film got. The Twilight films and Michael Bay's Transformers films grossed higher than most films ever made. However, I already know what I think of them.