What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Yeah, I just recently got a new bookshelf and will probably need to get another one soon. I'm running out of places to put my movies. I have 7 bookshelves and 2 lockers with movies in them so my collection is fairly large.
That’s always a problem being a collector of anything, space is always an issue. I used to buy 3 to 5 movies a week but have had to calm it down due to storage issues. I have had to become more choosy and not buy every movie I enjoy. I would still rather own a hard copy rather than just stream however.

Yeah, I just recently got a new bookshelf and will probably need to get another one soon. I'm running out of places to put my movies. I have 7 bookshelves and 2 lockers with movies in them so my collection is fairly large.
I recently had to resort to using these. They are terrific. Each one holds 40 movies. I filled two of them already as my DVDs are everywhere.

I recently had to resort to using these. They are terrific. Each one holds 40 movies. I filled two of them already as my DVDs are everywhere.

Cool! I’ll have to look into those.

Them!

The exclamation mark IS part of the official title. It's a dusty nowhere in the southwest, a place where atomic bombs were tested. All of a sudden 50 foot ants appear and become an existential threat. Of course, out in the desert, it's hard to think that these 20 ton hulks managed to find 20 tons of anything they could eat in order to not violate the conservation of matter law of the universe, but that knowledge doesn't help when YOU have to deal with them.

It actually has a decent cast (James Arness, James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn and the inimitable Sandy Descher, a traumatized little girl who can't do much but scream Them!). Surprisingly, the film makers play it straight and with a decent cast, Them! is top drawer among 1950's creature features as well as being early (1954) in the big bug cycle. I don't know whether there was a sequel, but if there were, I would expect The Government to be making giant cans of Raid.

The DVD transfer is actually pretty good as these sort of movies go.

I bought some new Hallmark dvds today because I enjoy Hallmark movies. I got:

Just Add Romance/Love on the Menu
Love at First Glance
Love Locks
Love Of Course
One Winter Weekend/One Winter Proposal
Royal Hearts/Royal Matchmaker/Once Upon a Prince
Winter Dreams

I purchased American Hustle again. Again because when I opened up my first dvd the case was empty. Someone had stolen the dvd & left the cover behind in Walgreens dvd section. SO annoying.

Pre-order some really goodblu-rays brazilian editions.

Already own the USA version but will buy to support - finally I can show this film to some friends that can't read english subs.

One of the films I most watched in my life. Finally in blu-ray here.

Tarkovsky's MIRROR! Already have in DVD.

Now take a look at this:
https://blogdojotace.com.br/2021/08/...u-ray-pela-op/

I picked up the Sergio Martino collection blu ray box set today. It has The Case of The Scorpion's Tail, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key, and The Suspicious Death of a Minor.

I mentioned this wonderful adaptation to @AgrippinaX a while back. It occurred to me that I didn’t own it so wanted to buy it for my dvd collection.

Which turned out to be almost impossible. Netflix doesn’t even have it to stream. Ditto Amazon. It’s nowhere for sale either (even in the UK) so I ended up buying a used copy & praying it’s a good copy.

Very alarming that a terrific dvd like this has practically vanished into the ether.

The Adventure Starts Here!

I mentioned this wonderful adaptation to @AgrippinaX a while back. It occurred to me that I didn’t own it so wanted to buy it for my dvd collection.

Which turned out to be almost impossible. Netflix doesn’t even have it to stream. Ditto Amazon. It’s nowhere for sale either (even in the UK) so I ended up buying a used copy & praying it’s a good copy.

Very alarming that a terrific dvd like this has practically vanished into the ether.
You were right to buy a copy. JustWatch says it's currently not streaming *anywhere*, free or paid.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-house-of-mirth

You were right to buy a copy. JustWatch says it's currently not streaming *anywhere*, free or paid.
Crazy. When there’s so much crap available.

I bought The Twilight Zone complete series blu ray today. I also got three Hallmark Christmas movies on DVD. I got Holly and Ivy, A Timeless Christmas, and Good Morning Christmas.

Ordered these during the Kino Lorber sale last month, finally came in the mail.

The Party
The Professional (1981)
Le Doulos
Diva
Soldier Blue
Emmanuelle
Le Magnifique
Cartouche
Cannibal Apocalypse
Uomini Contro

The top three I'd seen before, the rest are blind buys.

I got some Black Friday deals today. I picked up on blu ray:

Dora the Explorer
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Rocketman
Sonic the Hedgehog
Candyman 2021 (this one wasn’t a Black Friday deal, but I really wanted it)