What is Philip Seymour Hoffman's best performance?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
What do you say is his best performance?
Twister, of course.
"It's goin' green, baby!"

Naw. Of course. Although it's hard for me to pick, because I consider him to be one of the finest young-ish actors working right now. When he's playing it for laughs (The Big Lebowski, Punch-Drunk Love), he's great. When he's playing losers (Happiness, Boogie Nights), he's great. When he's playing it straight (Magnolia, State and Main), he's great. When he doesn't fit any of these categories (The Talented Mr. Ripley), he's great.

I haven't yet seen Flawless, although I've heard good things about him in that one.

What I'm saying is, I really can't pick. But if I had to pick one to stop bamboo shoots from being shoved under my fingernails, I'd have to say Magnolia--as Phil Parma, he's the sane and sympathetic heart of that sprawling rumpus of a film.
"So, this is the part of the movie where you help me."

Honorable mention for Happiness, though. And for Freddy Miles in Ripley. And for everything else he's ever done.

Basically, I love him and would have his babies.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
When he doesn't fit any of these categories (The Talented Mr. Ripley)
Is "*******" a category?

I haven't yet seen Flawless, although I've heard good things about him in that one.
Yeah, he is about the only good thing in an otherwise crappy film.

I will have to agree with Mary, it is hard to pick. He is one of my absolute favourite actors. Almost Famous is another great film where he has a supporting role and doing it beautifully as always.

I would like to mention Happiness for having the guts to risk his entire career portraying this sad guy, The Talented Mr Ripley where he does his ******* part brilliantly, and State & Main because this is probably as close to a leading role as he will ever get. Of course he handles it great.

Even though I have allready mentioned the three films above I think I prefer him when he does his patronizing arrogant parts like in allready mentioned "Mr Ripley" and Almost Famous.

Great underrated actor...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Is "*******" a category?
Yes.

But I already had three, and I must always only use threes.

I'm obsessive-compulsive that way. And this way. And the other way.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
Yes.

But I already had three, and I must always only use threes.

I'm obsessive-compulsive that way. And this way. And the other way.
Your three sexlives must be interesting...

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Your three sexlives must be interesting...
The four of us are very happy.

I think he's awesome in every role he plays and that's what makes him so awesome: he can play a huge range of chracter types the stoner in Twister, the sleezy reporter in Red Dragon (which he laid down extra sleeze for that one), and the brown nosing nerd in The Big Lebowski. He's just plain great.

The Bear with the Funk
yeah i think thats pretty tue thta this man can play in any movie (every on i have seen) and be great. He has alot of range and really we never feel that he didnt go all the way, orwe never say "he could'of done more". I realyl liked his charactor in 25th Hour, just a likeable real guy.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
1. The Big Lebowski (1998)
2. Magnolia (1999)
3. Boogie Nights (1997)

There are other Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but these three are the ones I think are his best.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There are far too many PSH performances to discuss, at least at this moment. For complex, serious performances you can't go wrong with his Tru in Capote, the priest in Doubt and everything Caden Cotard went through (or did he?) in Synecdoche, New York. I think he's hilarious in Punch-Drunk Love and Charlie Wilson's War. I just wish that mattress commercial in the former hadn't been cut out of the film. There are many more, and I'm a little behind with some of his later films, but I don't think you can go wrong with those.

Capote was his best performance.

I liked his loser in Boogie Nights . I felt a lot of emotion for him in that film. He is solid in other roles too.

I liked his loser in Boogie Nights . I felt a lot of emotion for him in that film. He is solid in other roles too.
While he's good in that role, I hated the character. I'd have put my foot through him, but my shoes would've got wet.

Careful, man. There's a beverage here!
Capote for sure