Which version of 'Cape Fear' is better?

Tools    

Hey all, I was going to rent a copy of "Cape Fear" but then noticed there are two versions. I could just rent both, but I don't want to.

Which do you like better: the one from 1962, or the one from 1991?

Why?

OR

I prefer the Martin Scorsese 1991 version. It has a fantastically nasty turn by Bob DeNiro and some really strong moments of tension. I remember watching the original just so I could say I had watched both versions and I honestly can't remember a thing about it.

Don't much like either...But the original is better than the lame ham acting fest that is the Scorsese version.

I prefer Scorsese's by a hair, if only for the shift in making the Bowden family's terror an extension of their own sins rather than just an inhuman monster stalking a perfect family. But overall it's about even. Watch 'em both, I say, starting with the original so you can get the fullest amusement from the cameos from Bob Mitchum, Gregory Peck, and Marty Balsam in the re-make, plus Elmer Bernstein's adaptation and use of Bernard Herrmann's original score. I really do like Scorsese's flick, I think it's his Touch of Evil, and in comparison to his other cinematic re-make the (somehow) Oscar-winning The Departed, I think with this one there is more of an updating and actual adapting of the material rather than simply shifting the location and changing the spoken language.

So I recommend the double feature. Actually, for even more fun make it a triple feature and after the Scorsese flick run the excellent Sideshow Bob parody episode of "The Simpsons" titled "Cape Feare" (second episode of the fifth season).

*and check out THIS existing thread for more on Scorsese and his Cape Fear.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, Holden, "Cape Feare" is my favorite episode of the entire series.

One of the reasons I am really interested in seeing this movie.

Yeah, Holden, "Cape Feare" is my favorite episode of the entire series.

One of the reasons I am really interested in seeing this movie.
Then you'll definitely want to see Scorsese's re-make, as all of the specific parody elements in that "Simpsons" episode (the tattoos, the movie theatre, hiding under the car, the runaway houseboat, etc.) are taken directly from that one, and other than the music none of them are taken from the original.

Hmmm... Didn't know what version it mainly parodied. I remember it has some parody aspects of Psycho.

Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure about the Psycho parody in "Cape Feare", but I've always loved this scene in "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge", (too bad this scene isn't on youtube).

And yes, the remake is just a bit better, still worth watching the original though.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I agree with Holden in that the remake is better. Both are excellent films, well worth any viewer's time. I enjoy a nice thriller that manages to be... thrilling. Scorsese's film is more over-the-top, but as Holden mentioned it works better because Max Cady is the personal incarnation of their own sins coming to haunt them. The family in the original is boring and Mitchum is simply a boogeyman who destroys the protective white picket fence. In Scorsese's version there is no naive idea of a white picket fence.

Plus Robert DeNiro and Juliet Lewis are gold.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I prefer Scorsese's by a hair, if only for the shift in making the Bowden family's terror be an extension of their own sins rather than just an inhuman monster stalking a perfect family. But it's about even. Watch 'em both, I say, starting with the original so you can get the fullest amusement from the cameos from Bob Mitchum, Gregory Peck and Marty Balsam in the re-make, plus Elmer Bernstein's adaptation and use of Bernard Herrmann's original score.
I agree with that 100%. Watch them both, and in order.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah. My first thought was to tell you to watch them both but once you said you didn't want to (?!?), I just dropped out of the discussion. However, I prefer the remake, aside from the fact that the original Herrmann score was in the original and that I personally believe that Peck and Mitchum can out-act De Niro and Nolte. To me though, this is actually the watershed film for me concerning Scorsese vis-a-vis Spielberg.

The fact was that Spielberg was supposed to direct the Cape Fear remake, but he ended up being an uncredited Executive Producer which basically means that either he or his name financed the film for Scorsese. Now, to me, this is easily the most Spielbergian film (stylistically) which Scorsese has ever made, but if you actually check Marty's subsequent filmography, he tried to make a couple of what would seem to be "earlier Scorsese personal" flicks, but afterwards, he seemed to gravitate more and more told Spielbergian populist films. The main reason I mention this is that people seem to set up some kind of wall between Scorsese and Spielberg, and I never really thought it mattered before the remake, and I think it matters no more now, although I never hear it discussed at all, and it's a worthwhile discussion. The Scorsese is an artiste and Spielberg is a hack dichotomy is BS and always has been, but you cannot help but get a backlash when people hate successful people, whether their "success" is artistic or monetary.

To me though, this is actually the watershed film for me concerning Scorsese vis-a-vis Spielberg.

The fact was that Spielberg was supposed to direct the Cape Fear remake, but he ended up being an uncredited Executive Producer which basically means that either he or his name financed the film for Scorsese. Now, to me, this is easily the most Spielbergian film (stylistically) which Scorsese has ever made, but if you actually check Marty's subsequent filmography, he tried to make a couple of what would seem to be "earlier Scorsese personal" flicks, but afterwards, he seemed to gravitate more and more told Spielbergian populist films. The main reason I mention this is that people seem to set up some kind of wall between Scorsese and Spielberg, and I never really thought it mattered before the remake, and I think it matters no more now, although I never hear it discussed at all, and it's a worthwhile discussion. The Scorsese is an artiste and Spielberg is a hack dichotomy is BS and always has been, but you cannot help but get a backlash when people hate successful people, whether their "success" is artistic or monetary.
I don't know why you've made Cape Fear a Spielberg vs. Scorsese THING, but the two men personally and professionally certainly have no gripes with each other and consider the other a friend. I think for critics or film fans using Scorsese and Spielberg as a contrast is easy if only because they were the first Film School generation and both started in the industry at the same time. But other than what some may foist on them in that respect, there's no real line of demarcation there.

As for how Marty became involved and how he changed the script, here's a bit from Scorsese on Scorsese...

--------------------------------------------------------
SCORSESE: Spielberg was originally going to direct the film and the script I first read was written for him. It was more black and white than I could accept. For instance, the family was happy, sitting round the piano singing - the kind of thing Steven could do genuinely quite well because he believes in it. And the scene in the theatre between De Niro and Juliette Lewis, which I eventually played as a seduction, was originally written as a scary scene. Max was chasing the girl through the basement and classrooms of the school, and finally she was hanging onto a shade on a windowsill which she was breaking. She didn't fall into his arms but was saved by someone else. This was based on the scene in the original film where it's ultimately the janitor and not Mitchum who's coming after her.

It would have been a real tour de force Spielberg chase, but although I like seeing that kind of filmmaking, I would have been bored trying to do it. So we started to work on that scene in the theatre and built the film out from it. For me this is still the most upsetting scene. We were playing on the idea of evil being attractive and dangerous. Max uses uses logic and emotion and psychology very much the way Satan speaks in the Bible. I know a couple women friends who said that they had similar experiences of being attracted first to a dangerous character. He destroys what little respect and trust Danielle has left for her father.

The other level is that the weakness in the family is almost begging for someone to come in and disrupt it even further. It colors their judgment and they make mistakes. You even begin to think that maybe Max is telling the truth. Because of their malaise, their disappointment with their lives, they are more susceptible to what he's saying, and to some extent Max has actually been created by Sam, because Sam made an ethical mistake. But what interests me is that anyone with a feeling of compassion would have been tempted to do the same thing, to let Max serve fourteen years in jail.

The way I saw Max, which may not be how Bob [De Niro] or [screenwriter] Wesley saw him, was that he becomes the collective guilt of the family. So when Bob had the idea that he wanted to be under the car, an entity which is almost unstoppable, like The Terminator, it fitted perfectly with my idea that they would never get rid of this guilt however far they ran, until they confronted it. What I tried to do is make Max's transition as emotionally and psychologically real to the apocalyptic ending, and the scene under the car is the key to this, and it should be audacious. Immediately before it, the movie begins anew when we cut to the sign that says 'Cape Fear'.

I think it's best if you see my version and the original Cape Fear as well, maybe a week apart. There are many threads running between the films, with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum and Martin Balsam, Bernard Herrmann's music, and Saul and Elaine Bass doing the titles. They didn't do the original titles, but the style of their work is extraordinary and we wanted the audience to be very aware of the lineage to this type of film. The sadness for me is that I can't make films in the old style, the studio system style, because I'm a product of a different world and society. And even if I regret the passing of the Golden Age of Hollywood and the studios, I have to remember it's a trade-off; what we lost in the past we gained in freedom in the present. Ultimately, I doubt very much I could make a true "B" film or genre film.

from Scorsese on Scorsese, 2003 revised edition
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I've read much more in other books, maybe the documentary on the DVD as well, but I don't feel like digging through the archives right now. The screenwriter wrote the script on commission specifically for Spielberg to direct. When Spielberg decided not to do it, Steven and DeNiro (who was already attached as Cady) asked Marty if he'd be interested. Once Scorsese became involved he went back with the screenwriter and made it much more morally ambiguous and thus darker. The original script would have been essentially Poltergeist but with Max Cady replacing the ghosts, a nice suburban family being terrorized by a monster beyond their control, and it may well have worked as a straight-ahead thriller made by a master craftsman such as Spielberg. By making Sam Bowden culpable and the family already falling apart full of issues of their own, it changed Cape Fear from the original quite a bit, even though the overall plot is essentially the same. All of those family dynamics and the sexual awakening of Danielle and all of that was not going to be in the Steven Spielberg vision.

I know that LOTS and lots of viewers, including plenty of professional critics, have problems with how intentionally over-the-top it all is. But as this was by design and for me goes perfectly with the amorality and the tongue-in-cheek playing with the thriller conventions, I think it all works and is a blast and a half. For anyone who takes it seriously and has a problem with the tone I try to ask, did Orson Welles do anything wildly different in terms of over-the-top characterizations or stylistic flourishes or lack of "reality" in Touch of Evil? Now neither Cape Fear nor Touch of Evil are ever going to be confused for either director's best work, but if you can't enjoy them for what they are instead of what they aren't...well, your loss.

And until the success of The Departed, Cape Fear was by far Scorsese's most financially successful hit at the box office, and if you look at it in terms of relation to cost Cape Fear is still his most successful film, with a pre-advertising budget around $35-million and a worldwide box office take of close to $200-million, plus whatever they've made on TV, VHS, LD and DVD in the years since (The Departed, The Aviator and Gangs of New York all did decent to good box office, but they all had very high production budgets as well).

In the original, Mitchum has no jailbird tattos and wears a dorky little 1950s straw hat and still is twice as scarey as DeNiro even thought of being in all that ink, like a kid who likes torturing helpless puppies and kittens. Watch the scene where he tells Peck about his revenge on his ex-wife after he got out of prison--that's just pure cruelty and meanness for the fun of it! Lots scarier than some psycho who doesn't necessarily know why he does mean things. Mitchum's character is cruel because he enjoys being cruel.

And I don't buy the psycho-babble in the remake of the family's "sins" and dysfunctions somehow "deserving" DeNiro's retribution--the wife and daughter had no role in what happened to the Cady character. In the original, Mitchum targets the wife and especially the daughter simply because attacking them--particularly raping the daughter, who in the original is too young and bright to be "seduced" by a tattooed maggot like De Niro's character--is simply the means of hurting his ex-lawyer the most. In the original, Mitchum kills the girl's dog and makes sure she's the one who finds it. How "seductive" is that?

One can take that "bad boys attract good girls" only so far, and the remake pushes it way over the line of beliveability. Most families are not dysfunctional, which makes the really disfunctional ones stand out by contrast. Most people I know get along very well with both their parents and their children.

On the other hand, I've encountered 2 real-life people who, like Mitchum's character, were simply raging wolves who only looked human--people who killed without remorse. Thankfully they were in custody at the time and sentenced later to long prison terms; one was a teen tried as an adult because he was one of the coldest killers I've ever seen or heard of, the other a mass-murderer of women. It's like a line in an ol' John Wayne movie when he said one can see hundreds of tame Indians, but if they ever get sight of a Comanche warrior, they'll instantly recognize the difference. Mitchum caught the essence of that concept in his original role.

In the original, Mitchum has no jailbird [tattoos] and wears a dorky little 1950s straw hat and still is twice as [scary] as DeNiro even thought of being in all that ink, like a kid who likes torturing helpless puppies and kittens. Watch the scene where he tells Peck about his revenge on his ex-wife after he got out of prison--that's just pure cruelty and meanness for the fun of it! Lots scarier than some psycho who doesn't necessarily know why he does mean things. Mitchum's character is cruel because he enjoys being cruel.

On the other hand, I've encountered 2 real-life people who, like Mitchum's character, were simply raging wolves who only looked human--people who killed without remorse. Thankfully they were in custody at the time and sentenced later to long prison terms; one was a teen tried as an adult because he was one of the coldest killers I've ever seen or heard of, the other a mass-murderer of women. It's like a line in an ol' John Wayne movie when he said one can see hundreds of tame Indians, but if they ever get sight of a Comanche warrior, they'll instantly recognize the difference. Mitchum caught the essence of that concept in his original role.
Yes, and the effectiveness of Mitchum underplaying the role in the original is EXACTLY why they decided to go in the COMPLETE OPPOSITE DIRECTION for the re-make. Quoting Scorsese again, this time from Martin Scorsese: Close Up (Thunder's Mouth Press, 1998)...

--------------------------------------------------
SCORSESE: DeNiro's character was over the top. That was his intention, and I thought it was good. Because we had to dispel the notion of the earlier film, which is a gem. One has to be careful: Robert Mitchum was very low key. That's the only way we could go, not just for the sake of being different but to get into another midnset, to get into that religious fanaticism. There was also the idea of an avenging angel, the idea of a person paying for their sins.

There was a lot in DeNiro's acting. Each scene was unique in its own way. His character was relentless: no matter what you do to him he always comes back. I don't mean just the end sequence where he goes into the water and comes back; that was done for the genre and done with religious overtones. But there was something determined about him: 'You hurt me. Now you have to pay. There's nothing you're going to say or do to stop it. You're going to have to pay up. You know you're wrong.'

from Martin Scorsese: Close Up, 1998
---------------------------------------------------------------

DeNiro's portrayal of Max Cady in the Cape Fear re-make is really closer in tone and a cartoon sense of evil NOT to Mitchum's work in the original but instead to Mitchum's work as the murderous phony Preacher in Charles Laughton's Night of the Hunter (1955). The tattoos, the Bible quoting, the Southern drawl, the terrorizing of anyone to get what he wants including women or children, the charm belying sadism. THAT is the Mitchum performance it is comparable to, not his Max Cady.

Banned from Hollywood.
Tough one. It's really one of those cases where the remake is trully better than the original..for me at least..either way I prefer Mitchum's version of Cady..but on the ladies , give me Jessica Lange any day over Polly Bergen.

I'm not sure about the Psycho parody in "Cape Feare", but I've always loved this scene in "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge", (too bad this scene isn't on youtube).

And yes, the remake is just a bit better, still worth watching the original though.
The parodies of Psycho in "Cape Feare" is with the stuffed birds in the background with Sideshow Bob, and how could you forget that Sideshow Bob stayed in the Bates motel?

Anyway, I also love that scene, they have the same music playing in the background, too.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Robert Mitchum is flawless in the original. I've never seen a character more nefarious. Plus, Gregory Peck! I've never seen the newer version though, but I think I can safely say the original.

I prefer the original. For me, DeNiro's acting in the remake is just WAY over the top. Maybe that was supposed to be the point or something, but it really detracted from the movie for me.

Mitchum's portrayal felt more real and, therefore, more terrifying.