Lets discuss Magnolia

→ in
Tools    

I read the screenplay to it, which I borrowed at the library. I loved it.

Then I decided to check out the actual movie... I couldn't finish it... why, I don't really know. Maybe everything just seemed so fast paced with me. Maybe the mood was different than the mood I had created in my mind.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
their redemption is delivered in the form of a spectacular shower of raining frogs, that changes everything for them.
i wonder why, but that appeals to me.
Julianne Julianne Julianne. nuff said. but Tom is really overacting, or emoting, like Tacitus said.

Have to watch this again, then i might have an opinion. when I watched it I had a friend over, she kept on talking I missed half of it peoples opinions here are quite polarized, that always make me more interested in a movie

I loved the first ten minutes of this film with all the stuff about chance. After that i felt it sort of went downhill. I liked parts of it, and i certainly like PTA's visual style of it, but i felt the movie kind of dragged on and didn't quite make sense all the time. One example is when John C. Reilly is sitting at the restaurant with the girl he met and they both start crying for like ten minutes. I thought the movie was very well made, but i just couldn't seem to get into it.

"Respect the cock!"

Here to support the villians.......
when their all singing at the same time, and reflecting on their lives that is one of the best scenes I have ever seen, very emotional and moving really made me think about life

baptism in a dunking booth
Sigh

when people see this movie and only remember, "respect the cock" a part of my groin retreats inside me

such a gorgeous gorgeous heartwrenching film

arg oh the frogs, who's imagination wasn't spinning out of control trying to think of why it happened, truely ended on a high note

I loved this film from the first time I saw it, and I've never met anyone out here in the real world that's not loved it (but I only know about 5 people who've seen it and one of them was a burnout stoner wrestler whose opinion of the film went a little something like this:"That Magnolia movie is some crazy **** man!"). I watched it again recently and the film rose to my top 20 of all-time. It had always been around it, but this viewing really hit me. I think the ensemble is one of the finest of the 90s, with each actor fully realizing their character and bringing them to life so that they were all believable, even when crazy occurences were happening all around them. Most of the problems people have with the film, I enjoyed: the raining frogs was quite the shock and brings on the movie's catharsis perfectly, the sing-along was wonderfully executed and further illustrated the characters connection, and although the film certainly was ambitious, it was by no means meaningless or overly-pretentious. The only thing that keeps this from being higher on my list of favorites is that Anderson's style borrows a lot from Scorsese, but it works in the style of the film, so its hardly worth mentioning. This isn't a film for everyone, but I loved it.

So Money and I Don't Even Know It!
Originally Posted by rikkidunbar

"Respect the cock!"

I went to see Magnolia one afternoon when I was free from College. I had loved Boogie Nights so I was looking forward to it. There were times at the beginning when I seriously considered walking out. It was one of those films that gave me knots in the stomach I just felt uncomfortable. However half way through when the characters began singing along to the Aimee Mann song it all made sense and I felt elated.

The lyrics of the song suddenly seemed to express everything I had witnessed in one moment. I now think it's one of the best films I've ever seen I don't watch it often it's not my favourite but I do feel it to be truly great and important.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by squeezyrider
I now think it's one of the best films I've ever seen I don't watch it often it's not my favourite but I do feel it to be truly great and important.
Perhaps the most confusing and non-sensical statement i have ever read. Glad you liked the film though...i think.

A system of cells interlinked
Added this to my netflix Queue. I'll post thoughts when it eventually arrives (it's about 12 films deep currently)...

I am sort of on the fence with his other stuff, which I thought was creative, but a bit heavy handed....

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Perhaps the most confusing and non-sensical statement i have ever read. Glad you liked the film though...i think.
Fair comment. The aforementioned statement was written in a hurry but I'll give another example of what I was trying to say; in my opinion Requiem For A Dream is also one of the best films that I have ever seen but I don't particularly like it. I wouldn't watch it casually and as a result I find it difficult to make time to watch it at all. I mean what's the point watching all that pain and suffering when you've got Ghostbusters on the shelf. I'm very glad I've watched both films though.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I think Magnolia is a beautiful film. The characters are archetypes for a reason: this is a film about abstracts and about life, and character development is not the point. I think the point of it is to see the beauty in all the details of life - the good and the bad - to accept that "these things happen" and live with that understanding. The photography is beautiful. The metaphorical aspect of it is apropriate for the themes. The music is awesome (love that Aimee Mann). And the nod to Salinger in the middle of all of it charmed my socks off.

Exactly.