The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Very interesting. After reading a review of Homesick, I can say it's not the same. But I'm shocked at some of the similarities. It looks like there may be slightly more to do in Homesick but both appear to be short playthroughs. Neat that you remembered all that!
Well, to be fair, Steam will tell you the last date you played any given game. I last played Homesick in July 2018. The neat part was that I remembered it enough to go look, since I've only ever played it for a half hour.

I gotta go find something to pry open that door now...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Outer Wilds
This one still has me coming back, though not as frequent as the first week or two. Now, it's more every other day or three. I am still curious about what is happening in game, but I feel I've nearly exhausted my skills of investigation and have resorted to Googling a few directional markers to know where to go next (and how?). I am still very impressed with how the world continues to expand from what is a relatively small galaxy. There are some really heady bits playing out, but the time loop limit really is a distracting pressure for me still. Perhaps I'm spoiled with immediate gratification, but some areas I've spent all of my time just to stumble upon the next leg of my exploration before the time limit hits. Then it's starting over, hoping I can remember that path. So yeah, I'm still frustrated on that front but whatever. It's cute.

I did notice something kinda neat.
WARNING: "Chert stuff" spoilers below
Chert, on Ember Twin, his dialogue options change as the time loop cycle comes to and end. I'm curious who else, if any, do also? The guy hanging out in Dark Bramble doesn't change =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I have Outer Wilds on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am trying to remind myself that I have too many games already and haven't played half of them. I rarely listen, though, so on the next sale, I might buy.

I just finished the latest iteration of the original Myst game last night, which became available last week. I think I own every edition of that game now, and have since the 1990s when it first came out. But this version is free-roaming and gorgeous. (Some of the previous ones had free-roaming as opposed to node/clicking.) I thoroughly enjoyed it this time through, and since it's been so long since I first played, I really did have to puzzle out (no pun intended) some of the solutions to things. With the free movement, though, the game made so much more sense to me. I realized how much that point-and-click movement of the early editions made things tougher for me. I'm definitely *not* a visual learner, for the most part.

Now, if they would only make a free-roaming version of Riven... (To be fair, the fans have been asking for this for literally decades, so it might happen... after Cyan Worlds gets done with Firmament, their latest work in progress.)

Who else is gonna be buying Diablo 2: Resurrected? I’m pretty excited for it.
Ok. Now that I'm seeing more adverts for it online I'm kinda getting trigger-happy. I vaguely remember having issues with my character the last time (yeeeeeears) ago when trying to log in. I WANNA say they changed where character data was stored, or something. I thought it was online and when I installed to the then new PC, nothing was available.

Or they were wiped from inactivity. I can't remember. Hopefully that won't be the case with Resurrected?

Gosh. I made friends with some online kid when I was in college in an old chat app. He got me into Diablo II as we both played this game called Realms of Kaos at the time. That guy had a few characters in D2 and ended up running me through most of my game until I caught up with him and we could finally play as equals.

Years later (like a decade or so) I get a call from an unknown number around 9pm one night. It was him! He was getting married and wanted me to shoot it! That's when I made a run of wedding photography. Dude lived in Michigan. ME? Still down in southern Alabamee. I said of course and drove that friggin monster of a road trip. How could I say no? He ran me through Diablo. =\

So yeah. Memories are starting to swirl.

I have Outer Wilds on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am trying to remind myself that I have too many games already and haven't played half of them. I rarely listen, though, so on the next sale, I might buy.

I just finished the latest iteration of the original Myst game last night, which became available last week. I think I own every edition of that game now, and have since the 1990s when it first came out. But this version is free-roaming and gorgeous. (Some of the previous ones had free-roaming as opposed to node/clicking.) I thoroughly enjoyed it this time through, and since it's been so long since I first played, I really did have to puzzle out (no pun intended) some of the solutions to things. With the free movement, though, the game made so much more sense to me. I realized how much that point-and-click movement of the early editions made things tougher for me. I'm definitely *not* a visual learner, for the most part.

Now, if they would only make a free-roaming version of Riven... (To be fair, the fans have been asking for this for literally decades, so it might happen... after Cyan Worlds gets done with Firmament, their latest work in progress.)

is the game good? i was gonna get it while ago

Who else is gonna be buying Diablo 2: Resurrected? I’m pretty excited for it.
Same here. This is one remake I can get behind, especially since I never finished the game and I can't get the 2000 CD-ROM version to run on Windows X even though I changed my settings to run the EXE with the Windows 2000 OS. Anyone else had any luck? Wait, don't tell me...I want to hold out for the new version.

FWIW, Diablo 1 is one of my very favorite games and I like Diablo 3 more than most, but even in hard mode, it's too easy.

is the game good? i was gonna get it while ago
If you like any sort of puzzle/problem-solving game, you've gotta play Myst. It was the original, the first game to utilize the CD-ROM, and remains the standard for any sort of puzzle-type game. But it's not a "puzzle game" like blocks or Tinker Toys. It's a game that makes you think things through, make associations between things you've seen earlier... and it has a story to tell too.

The original 1993 was point-and-click node movement (the state of the technology at the time), but this updated 2021 edition is beautiful, realistic, and free-roaming. If you're going to play any of the four editions of Myst, this is the one to play. (Either of the realMyst versions are good too, for similar reasons: better graphics and free-roaming abilities.)

There are four other games in the series, plus a tangential game called Uru. The next game after Myst, called Riven, is often touted as the best of the series and perhaps the best point-and-click type game ever. I have yet to actually finish that one since it's a bit of a mind-bender and is far larger in scope than Myst itself.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

If you like any sort of puzzle/problem-solving game, you've gotta play Myst. It was the original, the first game to utilize the CD-ROM, and remains the standard for any sort of puzzle-type game. But it's not a "puzzle game" like blocks or Tinker Toys. It's a game that makes you think things through, make associations between things you've seen earlier... and it has a story to tell too.

The original 1993 was point-and-click node movement (the state of the technology at the time), but this updated 2021 edition is beautiful, realistic, and free-roaming. If you're going to play any of the four editions of Myst, this is the one to play. (Either of the realMyst versions are good too, for similar reasons: better graphics and free-roaming abilities.)

There are four other games in the series, plus a tangential game called Uru. The next game after Myst, called Riven, is often touted as the best of the series and perhaps the best point-and-click type game ever. I have yet to actually finish that one since it's a bit of a mind-bender and is far larger in scope than Myst itself.

Okay, I'll shut up now.
gosh that long cause im on my phone at the moment not on my pc lol but those other games are they on ps4/ps5 or xbox or pc?

gosh that long cause im on my phone at the moment not on my pc lol but those other games are they on ps4/ps5 or xbox or pc?
Myst (original) = Steam/GOG/PC, also Oculus
Myst Masterpiece = Steam/GOG/PC, iOS Mobile, Android
realMyst Masterpiece Edition = PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, iOS Mobile, Android
Riven = iOS, iPad OS, Android, Steam/GOG/PC
Myst III: Exile = Steam/GOG/PC
Myst IV: Revelation = Steam/GOG/PC
Myst V: End of Ages = Steam/GOG/PC
Uru = Steam/GOG/PC

All their games (Cyan Worlds, Inc.) can be found here, including some very early pre-Myst stuff:
https://cyan.com/games/

Myst (original) = Steam/GOG/PC, also Oculus
Myst Masterpiece = Steam/GOG/PC, iOS Mobile, Android
realMyst Masterpiece Edition = PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, iOS Mobile, Android
Riven = iOS, iPad OS, Android, Steam/GOG/PC
Myst III: Exile = Steam/GOG/PC
Myst IV: Revelation = Steam/GOG/PC
Myst V: End of Ages = Steam/GOG/PC
Uru = Steam/GOG/PC

All their games (Cyan Worlds, Inc.) can be found here, including some very early pre-Myst stuff:
https://cyan.com/games/
well i will try play realmyst cause i have nintendo switch cause my pc is not a gaming pc D= had to wait next yr to get my pc get custom built when i move in my new apartment

I don't use a gaming PC, either. I'm not sure what the specs are for any of the Myst-related games. Probably their website would tell you. That first Myst game, which came out around 1993, can easily be played on any PC or Mac in today's world. It is not, though, an "action" game in any sense of the word.

Agony
This game is crap! Nothing like the trailer implies. Texture maps are painful on the eyes, mechanics and lack of instructions are painful on the mind, and acting is just... well, it's just painful. Avoid, especially if you are interested in something as horrific as the trailer claims. This it is not.

Everspace

I couldn't get into the controls with this one my first half hour or so in, so I've avoided it since then. Thursday night I was bored enough to give it another go. There are four controls settings to pick from. I tried them all again. This time though, I gave up on the flight sim expectation and treated more like a CoD game where forward means forward and my right stick aims my gun. I could connect easier after that and managed to put a good hour to it. I did again, last night.

Don't get me wrong, the game menus are clunky and it's not very intuitive at first. You do play through a training mission of sorts, with an ship AI that frequently chimes in with a dry humor telling you that you shouldn't have done whatever it is you just did a few seconds before you both explode, but that's not too helpful in the heat of a dog fight. Trail and error seem to be the only ways to really learn here. That's OK though now that I've adapted to the controls here. I really have to say that I like this game. This is what I expected Star Wars Squadrons to be, and it's so much more. Environments are immersive with floating wreckage, asteroid belts, and planetary rings to strafe during encounters, and there are hidden goodies floating around if you're willing to explore a bit. While there is not a mission timer that I can see, you should always be aware of the nearest jump point as it seems overwhelming forces will eventually jump in nearby and overtake you if you linger for too very long.

I'm not quite sure how levels are staged, but it appears as though you start in a pocket of space with enemy drones to hunt down and destroy. They usually provide some low level loot. This game looks HEAVILY influenced (borrowed from?) from CCP's EVE Online. Much of the design, targeting, and even sound effects feel ripped from the EVEverse. That's not a bad thing. After downing the handful of red drones, you can just flying around and through floating structures looking for abandoned loot, storage containers, gaseous and mineral pockets for mining, all usually off radar until you get within a certain range to ping them. That gives the mostly simple gameplay something more to focus on after the brief fights. Once done, you warp on to another sector of your map. You do this until you reach the linear end progression of a map, or until you die. Either way, you end up back at some home base to spend the credits earned during your last run.

Upgrades come as typical perks from weapons, hull hit points, shield boost extension, and other standard fare paid for from the loot and bounty credits you earn during each map run. You can eventually buy larger, faster ships but at 10k per with an average 2k profit run, that may take me some time. Flight views provide three options: third person where the complete ship is visible in front you and low in the screen, first person where you're sitting within a cockpit, and a minimal view where most of the interface has been cleared. There is a storyline, but it feels peripheral at best, for the moment. Mostly, story beats appear as random flashbacks upon entering certain space triggers. Mostly (thanks, Newt). but it's there and even for as minimal as it seems, it still beats whatever that crap was in Squadrons.

@Golgot you might check this one out? This would be GOREOUS with a VR mod.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Reentry:An Orbital Simulator

Ooookay. This isn't a kerbal cockpit. Damn. That's one hardcore Mercury/Gemini/Apollo sim, daunting, overwhelming, intimidating. The tutorials are nice, hold your hand gently, and are split into enough bite sized lessons, but better dedicate some time, concentration and memory to them, because when it comes to go on your own... let's just say there's ways to go wrong.

But it's a great document on the tech behind these famous launches, the kind of interfaces these astronauts had to deal with (computers where commands are typed in through numbers corresponding to pre-set verbs and nouns), the parameters they had to manage. Realistic sims -whichever aspect is realistic- are a great way to get a concrete feel of the background of many historical and fictional tales, and to appreciate both the experience of their protagonists and the distance between different epochs' technologies. What I'm saying, is that they indirectly alter the way we perceive our movies, among other things.

Anyway. It's still an Early Access, the definitive version should arrive this year. I'd say don't buy Early Access as a general rule. It's a rule I break sometimes, so far I haven't regretted it. I've been lucky. Or cautious. Or forgiving. I'd say Take on Mars was maybe a mistake, but KSP, Project Zomboid, Uboot, Rimworld, Subnautica, Universe Sandbox and Empire of the Undergrowth turned out great.

And this one too, so far.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Agony
@Golgot you might check this one out? This would be GOREOUS with a VR mod.
Cheers . It’s actually got an official VR version, and I’ve always meant to get to it. (The third person view has always put me off though :/. It’s one of those formats that doesn’t really get elevated by VR much for me).

Well, unless you get to fly the ships as silly hand puppet things

Cheers . It’s actually got an official VR version, and I’ve always meant to get to it. (The third person view has always put me off though :/. It’s one of those formats that doesn’t really get elevated by VR much for me).

Agreed. Hate that that clip is third person. In cockpit is much more immersive and is the. Use I use. I mentioned you because I really took to this one over Squadrons. For whatever that's worth.

Edit:
That video, lol. Wtf?

is this game on octuls rift or quest? or any vr?

there's a frog in my snake oil
is this game on octuls rift or quest? or any vr?
It’s on all classic PCVR:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8...STAR_Alliance/

Could probably play on Quest via tether.

Honestly I didn’t stick with it that long, as bullet hell roguelikes aren’t really my thing. But for feeling like you were inside an 80s arcade machine it was great

Has anyone played Dusk? It's a nice throwback to classic FPS's like Quake and Doom and I really dig its horror movie aesthetic. I wouldn't rank it alongside Painkiller, my favorite meat & potatoes horror FPS, but it's highly recommended if you're into this sort of thing.

It’s on all classic PCVR:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8...STAR_Alliance/

Could probably play on Quest via tether.

Honestly I didn’t stick with it that long, as bullet hell roguelikes aren’t really my thing. But for feeling like you were inside an 80s arcade machine it was great
oh okay damn it i have playstation vr 🥺 ahhh loved 80s 😍