Russian Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Stalker

Have to admit i was a bit disheartened when this was the only Tarkovsky, purely because i've already seen it though. I would bump this up quite a bit on rewatch but not quite into all-time favourite territory, just outside (no pun). Thing is it does bore me at times and i think that's the case for even some who love it, i've heard it referred to as the "best boring film" before, similar to 2001. It's not constant or i'd hate the film, there's just some parts i struggle to care during. I honestly think it could be sort of intentional, it's a long arduous journey making the viewer struggle along makes sense. Anyway, just like the first time i was glad i saw it by the end, it's extremely well done.

My favourite scene is easily when they first enter The Zone, it feels like a magic trick. How for a bit it's one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen (even on rewatch when i was expecting it) before my eyes/mind adjusts and i realize it's not that special, it's just that i'm seeing bright colours and wildlife for the first time, i feel like a blind man regaining his sight before the initial wonder is over and i realize "oh yeah, the world is sht" The most impressive thing about it is how he created such a hellish dystopian world outside the zone far beyond what i normally imagine when reading dystopian literature that anything would be like paradise in comparison, feel like that world is what my mind wants to imagine but i'm just not depressed enough to conjure up those types of images. The reactions to and characteristics of the two are deliberately wrong and jarring too which is so unsettling. Outside the zone is intensely ugly/grim in appearance and exiting it is the one time they are definitely in danger of dying (not including The Professor, i more mean by things/people outside the group), while they obviously aren't calm this is the easy part of the journey. The Zone is mostly normal looking (in comparison and on the outside of course) and the danger is only possibly there yet it's where they start truly cracking. Even if you don't consider what it's about those contradictions are distressing. Maybe others don't feel the same. Was thinking about it for ages the first time i thought about it, what it reminds me of was when i was very young and first got introduced to the concept of stranger danger. Like, being told if i'm lost or something to not just go with any adult and trust them completely as they could be bad people. That shook me to my core at that age, up to that point adults were automatically good, wise people who were concerned for my safety obviously because the only adults i knew were family, family friends and teachers. Sorta think it's a similar feeling i get with the zone where it initially looks like a much more desirable location then suddenly it isn't at all. And it's not just a stylistic thing it of course goes with the story/themes, and it works especially well with the Wizard of Oz comparisons i've heard before. Just like Dorothy after the initial wonder of the Colourful world of Oz fades all she wants is to return to B&W Kansas, these dudes never go all the way and actually enter The Room instead returning to Morbidsville where they belong. The end, various conversation scenes and the whole action scene dash to get into The Zone at the beginning are awesome too, but i think this works much more as a whole, the thoughts and weird feelings it leaves me with are absolutely its strength.

Anyway, not going to go into anything i think about the film, if some discussion starts and i'll happily join in. I do think this film is complex (simple if you think about it, but a lot of ways to read it) and i weirdly think that's a detriment, because it is sorta overdiscussed. Doubt much we talk about here will be new to me, not the films fault it's just an interesting film to talk about so it gets talked about a lot.

Warning: Spoilers for Leviathan below.

For example i knew Lilya and Dima were going to have an affair right from their first private conversation when Kolya left the room for a second and they got into small talk which lead to her asking Dima to talk to her husband.
I thought the same thing during that scene. It just really felt that if they weren't already having an affair, that one was definitely on the horizon.

Wasn't a fan of the Mayor character, felt too cartoonish to me.
I didn't like him for the first few scenes he was in, but he kind of grew on me for some reason. I never liked him as a character, but I started to like his performance. I'm not sure if he was intended to be a caricature or actually taken seriously, but his mannerisms started to amuse me, so he actually lightened the mood more often than not.

Now that I think about it, that probably wasn't what the filmmakers were going for, considering how sombre the rest of the film is haha.

Leviathan / Левиафан (2014)
Directed By: Andrey Zvyagintsev
Starring: Aleksei Serebryakov, Vladimir Vdovichenkov, Elena Lyadova

Anna Ukolova's performance, and would've liked to see more of her and her sarcastic charm.
I didn't pick up on any sarcastic charm. Starting to think i didn't follow this film properly because it was so purposefully uninviting and i was expecting something different, Loveless is kinda the same but it feels more outwardly angry and just emotional in general.

I didn't pick up on any sarcastic charm. Starting to think i didn't follow this film properly because it was so purposefully uninviting and i was expecting something different
She had a few playful jabs at her husband, and had a sort of spirit that was lacking in the other characters. That's why I wanted to see more of her. I should probably learn the character's name, since I've just been referring to her in my head as "the friend" haha.

I do get what you mean about the film being uninviting. It is quite cold, both in atmosphere and in colour. That's why I think it would've been more engaging if it was less focused on the characters, and more involved with something else.

My Friend Ivan Lapshin (1985) by Aleksei German

I was really interested in seeing this film, therefore it was the first of the nominated i chose to see. I have only dabbled into Germans film by seeing the first 15 minutes of Hard to Be a God from 2013, and i still have that one to see.

My Friend Ivan Lapshin was released at a interesting point in the history of the Soviet Union, after the end of the detente politics, but under the rule of the last of the old men, just before Gorbachev and the start of glasnost and perestroika. With that in mind, i am sure, many historians, find the movie interesting, in terms of how the Soviet Union was depicted.

The film itself takes an autobiographical look at the Soviet Union in the 1930's, just before the great purge by Stalin, and offers intriguing insights to the development towards the purge. While it may not be an aesthetic masterpiece like The Cranes Are Flying or Stalker, its non-linear narrative focusing on everyday moments, with offscreen sounds and offbeat happenings, makes it, in my opinion, a very good film.

However i would only recommend this for people keen on Soviet Cinema and the history of the Soviet Union, as the (historical) context matters a lot, at least in the way i saw it.

Glad you thought it was interesting, it's a blind nom so who knows what i'll think. Read a tonne on Soviet History last year so hopefully i'll feel the same.

I just finished watching Planeta Bur. There was this sound I kept hearing throughout the film that I thought was part of the ambience. However now that I've turned it off, I can still hear that strange noise.

I can't even describe what it sounds like. I need to discover its origin before I go crazy trying to figure it out haha.

Planeta Bur / Планета Бурь (1962)
Directed By: Pavel Klushantsev
Starring: Vladimir Yemelyanov, Gennadi Vernov, Georgi Teich

This is the type of science fiction film that I love to watch: full of matte paintings, model spaceships, bulky robots, puppets, and men hopping around in lizard suits. It looks amazing, which is probably why a lot of its footage was repurposed for the American films Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet, and Voyage to the Planet of the Prehistoric Women. The latter of which completely disregards one of the original Russian film's central themes, because it apparently couldn't be sold to American International Pictures if it didn't contain more women.

Planeta Bur is not exactly a scientifically plausible film. After all, we now know that the temperature on Venus is over 450 degrees Celsius, and due to its slow rotation, by the time a single day on the planet has passed, its been over 4 months here on Earth. However when this film was made, very little was actually known about Venus, and the opening screen indicates as much to the audience. So the film-makers relied heavily on their own imagination, and created a vision of Venus that aligned with their own dreams for what the other planets in our solar system might contain.

That kind of hopeful speculation is missing from a lot of sci-fi films these days, and its something I always appreciate when watching older films in the genre. I also enjoyed the discussions some of the crew had about the origins of mankind, and whether or not humans could have evolved on other planets. While most of the cast were fine, I wasn't a fan of Kyunna Ignatova. Because of her lacklustre performance, Masha's crisis in the middle of the film didn't have any weight to it. Luckily her scenes are rather limited throughout the rest of the film, so she didn't impede my overall enjoyment.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bur2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	46774  

I was going to watch Planeta Bur last night, I was psyched for it! So I put the file on a USB stick and then put that into by BD player...The movie starts and looks great, but damn I don't speak Russian and there's no subs. They must have been soft coded. So I grab a .srt file and combine them and play the movie but the dialogue and subs were way off by a couple seconds. It was so goofy that way. But I did find a web site that allows one to tweak the timing of a sub text file, so I'll give that a go and then I'll have one nom under my belt.

“I was cured, all right!”
The Cranes are Flying (1957)

The film begins with a passionate couple walking the streets of Moscow during a night (pre-war), they are hopelessly in love, so the hours goes by like magic. When they arrives at the door of the building where she lives, it is almost daytime, and after saying goodbye, she climbs up the snail staircase in a rush. Almost by impulse, the camera accompanies her up the stairs with a panoramic. He's behind her! The camera accompanies the bustle and speed they run the stairs wonderfully summing up the gale that is their love. I held my tears when I saw this sequence.

Further in, there's a travelling scene of Veronika's face in the middle of a crowd, one of the most beautiful travelling that I have ever seen. When she wants to kill herself, there's a dazzling, insane, and once again beautiful sequence: A confuse montage with lot's of vults and fast images (an it ends with a incredible 'twist').

In the war zone, we see mud, danger, explosions, and a long take -- a great example of how to shot a long take with a great camera work!

The fusion between Image and sound, poetry through camera work, body language, this is some things that I search in cinema. Of course I like a good script, but I'm more interested in how it is telled, for this reason, The Cranes are Flying is one of the most beautiful films that I ever saw!

★★★★★

She had a few playful jabs at her husband, and had a sort of spirit that was lacking in the other characters. That's why I wanted to see more of her. I should probably learn the character's name, since I've just been referring to her in my head as "the friend" haha.
LEVIATHAN SPOILERS

My god I just assumed you were talking about the wife, definitely know what you are talking about with the friend and agree, although i'd say it worked well that we didn't see her much (at all?) after the affair was revealed as it piled outside disgust onto the families misery.

I read this post yesterday and wondered why you'd refer to the wife as "the friend" No idea what drugs i was on yesterday, dang.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Cranes are Flying (1957)

The film begins with a passionate couple walking the streets of Moscow during a night (pre-war), they are hopelessly in love, so the hours goes by like magic. When they arrives at the door of the building where she lives, it is almost daytime, and after saying goodbye, she climbs up the snail staircase in a rush. Almost by impulse, the camera accompanies her up the stairs with a panoramic. He's behind her! The camera accompanies the bustle and speed they run the stairs wonderfully summing up the gale that is their love. I held my tears when I saw this sequence.

Further in, there's a travelling scene of Veronika's face in the middle of a crowd, one of the most beautiful travelling that I have ever seen. When she wants to kill herself, there's a dazzling, insane, and once again beautiful sequence: A confuse montage with lot's of vults and fast images (an it ends with a incredible 'twist').

In the war zone, we see mud, danger, explosions, and a long take -- a great example of how to shot a long take with a great camera work!

The fusion between Image and sound, poetry through camera work, body language, this is some things that I search in cinema. Of course I like a good script, but I'm more interested in how it is telled, for this reason, The Cranes are Flying is one of the most beautiful films that I ever saw!

★★★★★

Glad you love it. And I can see my second watch bumping it to all time favorite territory.

I'm watching yours next Raul. Weird that so many of us went blind, you could hate your nom while i love it and vice-versa. Will be interesting being part of a "no mine sucks more" debate.

Let the night air cool you off
I rewatched Solaris the other day. I'll try to post some thoughts in here soon. I was more prepared for what I was getting this time around and I absolutely loved it. It's terrifying at times and it makes me wonder why there really haven't been that many notable Russian horror films.

I rewatched Solaris the other day. I'll try to post some thoughts in here soon. I was more prepared for what I was getting this time around and I absolutely loved it. It's terrifying at times and it makes me wonder why there really haven't been that many notable Russian horror films.
Captain Steel (member here) told me the scariest thing he's ever seen in a film is the dwarf trying to escape that one rape dung...i mean room in Solaris. Difficult to disagree with that especially as an adult.

Let the night air cool you off
Captain Steel (member here) told me the scariest thing he's ever seen in a film is the dwarf trying to escape that one rape dung...i mean room in Solaris. Difficult to disagree with that especially as an adult.
It was incredibly jarring and almost felt like Kubrick or Lynch or something. It felt out of place, yet fitting at the same time. Definitely sticks with you.

Yeah the dwarf scene, yikes, poor guy!

I'm thinking of watching Solaris in 3 parts, with the idea that I might be able to get more out of it that way. Don't know for sure, I might just watch it in one go.