The MoFo Top 100 Movies of the 1930s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
That is an EXCELLENT list to go by. Could easily do a Top 25 just wandering through the first two pages but there is also a few in those I NEED to see as well and I'm sure others as well.
Off to watch Hedy Lamar in Ecstasy!
My memory is so bad that I have to look at that IMDB 1930s search, just to remember what I've forgotten, ha

Oh! Hedy Lamar, have not seen enough of her films. I'll be looking forward to hear what you thought of Ecstasy. I've not seen it myself.
You'll see plenty of her in that movie.

That is an EXCELLENT list to go by. Could easily do a Top 25 just wandering through the first two pages but there is also a few in those I NEED to see as well and I'm sure others as well.
Off to watch Hedy Lamar in Ecstasy!
Never saw that one, Ed. Sounds like a pot-boiler. Let us know what you think. Cheers.

~Doc

I watched the Best Picture Oscar winner of 1931, Cimarron. Very progressive epic for it's time. Maybe not the best acting/dialogue but the theme of the movie was well worth watching. I think I'll try and catch all the 1930s Best Picture winners.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You confused the dot with a coma. And yes, you should finish that fifth film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Never saw that one, Ed. Sounds like a pot-boiler. Let us know what you think. Cheers.

~Doc
Sadly, it did not work for me. The music was very corny, it never really got going and the acting was incredibly flat. I truly hate saying anything terrible about an actress I have ALWAYS loved. The only saving grace was the camera work. Which was more of a artistic study. I don't know, perhaps I should try it again, but the first time around. . .
Though it is on youtube as Exctase if anyone wishes to give it a go.

For those that have seen them, do you have to watch Dr. Mabuse the Gambler before The Testament of Dr. Mabuse or can you go straight to Testament? Probably going to watch both anyway just curious since the former is like four hours long.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It would certainly help if you watched all six hours very close to each other, but since Lang waited 11 years to make the sequel, I'd say it's not too important. The highlights of the sequel are mostly all visual.

It would certainly help if you watched all six hours very close to each other,
I'll do that over a couple of days then if possible. Testament is coming up on my 30's watchlist so i was just wondering how important it was especially since i've heard they are pretty nuts.

I was looking at Youtube for 1930s movies, there's like a ton of them, and they're public domain so you can watch or download them guilt free. Lot's of them I'd never heard of before.

Awesome. Great decade for films. Sorry, guys, haven't been around lately, but I'm in on this countdown for sure! Miss having a good Mofo countdown in my life. Thanks, Citizen, you're a great choice to run this.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Awesome. Great decade for films. Sorry, guys, haven't been around lately, but I'm in on this countdown for sure! Miss having a good Mofo countdown in my life. Thanks, Citizen, you're a great choice to run this.
Glad to hear you'll be participating!

I hope the MoFos will take up the challenge of watching some 1930s movies so that they can put together a list and send it to me for the big countdown by the deadline: September 30, 2018.

I vote after this we have another MoFo top 100 all time list again. Last one was 09 (almost 10 years ago!) and only had 28 Lists. Hardly represents modern Movieforums

I vote after this we have another MoFo top 100 all time list again. Last one was 09 (almost 10 years ago!) and only had 28 Lists. Hardly represents modern Movieforums
When this 1930s countdown is done and over, which won't be for 6 more months, then someone will make a thread to discuss what is next and people will have to decide among themselves which countdown everyone wants to do.

One thing is for sure, whatever countdown is done, it needs to have a host who will see it through and help promote it. It takes a lot of time to do one of these countdowns, but it can be rewarding too.

For those that have seen them, do you have to watch Dr. Mabuse the Gambler before The Testament of Dr. Mabuse or can you go straight to Testament? Probably going to watch both anyway just curious since the former is like four hours long.
It's been a long time since I've seen them, but it helps to see The Gambler first, since the stories sort of connect (Mabuse has a radical character arc between the two), but I saw Testament first years ago and still loved it. If you plan on watching both eventually anyway, The Gambler definitely should be first.