Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Shanghai Express (1932)

-

Marlene Dietrich plays heartbreaking hustler Shanghai Lily, and she's taking the Shanghai Express to Shanghai. Other passengers include fellow hustler Hui Fei, a British Captain/doctor who also happens to be her former lover, and various other characters. The Chinese civil war is happening, and the story evolves into rebel soldiers taking over the train in search of someone who's worthy of being a hostage. At the same time, Shanghai Lily and the doctor deal with their feelings for one another. The story doesn't really go anywhere special but there are some great moments. What makes the movie fun to watch is Dietrich and the direction of Josef Von Sternberg.

Wasn't it hilarious when Huston is at the funeral with the radio
Hilarious. Such a strange movie that found its way into my Netflix Q.

And it got repped more than the majority of movies I have posted except, possibly, for Serpico.

No, I'm sure I haven't. I'd love to see it. Perhaps it's on YouTube.
I looked and it's not on Youtube. Dailymotion has just about every Outer Limits episode but not "The Guest" that's the episodes name.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hilarious. Such a strange movie that found its way into my Netflix Q.

And it got repped more than the majority of movies I have posted except, possibly, for Serpico.
Ha - ALL those reps was the first thing I noticed after seeing the poster. 7 is a lot of reps for any movie, even at last ballot, and you got posted this very recently. I've been "pushing" this onto others (even on this reply!), and I believe cricket picked it during a Tournament. Not many seemed to have seen it, but I'd say 95% have said it was great, and I hope people see not only this, but other "under the radar" movies, as a priority, especially all the old movies that eventually go bad, and are destroyed forever. With newer movies, you have them on so many formats, there shouldn't be any worry for future generations to see them.

Frozen (2013)

Osaka Elegy (1936)

+

Companion piece to Kenji Mizoguchi's terrific Sisters of the Gion, and this one is probably my least favorite so far from the director. That's a compliment because it is still really good. Filmed beautifully with good performances and characters, I found the story to be compelling enough. It just didn't move me a lot.

Time Trap (2017, Mark Dennis, Ben Foster)

Interesting premise, terrible execution.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tomorrow

Robert Duvall plays a lonely man who finds a sick, pregnant woman! I have a few criticisms, such as the emphasis on 19th century Tupelo country talk which is exaggerated, but it allowed me to imagine my own conversations within the framework of every shot. Full film in the link below. Enjoy!

“I was cured, all right!”
Le Spectre Rouge (1907), by Segundo de Chomón and Ferdinand Zecca

★★★
Technically, it is a masterpiece (considering it was made in 1907), this ten-minute short is pure cinematic illusionism, Segundo de Chomón must have been a real magician.

1st Re-watch...this movie still rips my guts out and had me weeping...Sean Penn is absolutely devastating and should have won his first Oscar for this.

The Editor
(2014)
Nominated by @CiCi for the B Movie II HOF

I will give rating at the end of the HOF

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

The movie's still great - Miyazaki's never made a bad film and this is one of his very best -, but this release of it, like every release after 2010, has a few issues, namely the fact that the excellent English dub has been butchered. See, back in 2010, long after the dub had been produced in '98, some studio head jackass at Disney decided to heavily alter the dub. Say goodbye to a whole bunch of Hartman's lines, because they have now been silenced. When he says, "They're calling you an egg-stealer and you don't wanna know else," "and you don't wanna know what else" has been silenced. To add insult to injury, this was Hartman's very last film due to his unfortunate murder at the hands of his very own wife. Because of this, it is dedicated to his memory. For a second, I was miffed because I thought GKIDS, who now owns the North American rights, had removed the dedication; thankfully, it turns out they had only moved it. Might as well say goodbye to Sydney Forest's songs, Soaring and I'm Gonna Fly, too, because you-know-who decided they had to go, too. A shame, really since they have an infectious charm and I must confess I knew both, especially I'm Gonna Fly, by heart before I even saw the film. And all of this screwing around in the sound has clearly had negative effect on the sound quality since the altered dub occasionally emits an unnatural buzz as if the actors are talking into a fan. By simply looking up "Kiki audio defect," you will find a comparison with the unaltered dub housed on the original 2003 DVD where this was not an issue. It mostly clears up and it's not like it's there for every frame of film but still. There are some who will defend it, but what Disney did in 2010 is a major affront, up there with removing the expanded score from Castle in the Sky, to the fans who grew up watching the film with the unaltered dub. Not only that, it craps all over the work the English-language cast and crew put into making the dub. There's no reason for what they did. Every time Disney dubbed one of his films Miyazaki was right there giving his approval; if he told them he didn't approve, they had to change it on the spot and Kiki was no exception. Thankfully, what's left is still really good. Dunst, whose real-life nickname is Kiki, makes for a great, well, Kiki. She brings the character to life and truly captures all her hopes, dreams and struggles. Hartman is also excellent as Jiji; I just wish we had all of his lines. Much the same can be said for Matthew Lawrence as Tombo, Garofalo as Ursula, Tress MacNeille - who also dubbed Obaba in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and the boss's wife in Castle in the Sky - as Osono, the late great Debbie Reynolds as a nice old lady, and Brad Garrett ("...Everybody loves Raymond.") in a bit part as Osono's husband. Okay, I guess it can be said that you still get most of the dub here and it's also stacked pretty solidly with special features, so it's worth getting just to own Kiki's Delivery Service and enjoy the beautiful animation in HD and Hisaishi's music score comes through loud and clear without issue. That said, some English-speaking fans will take issue with the fact that the original Streamline dub, which is said to be quite good, is not on the disc, though that's not much of a change from the norm since the Streamline dub of Totoro hasn't been available since a crappy pan-and-scan DVD from back in the '90s, the Streamline dub of Castle in the Sky was only available on the very first Japanese DVD way back when and Kiki's Streamline dub hasn't been available since the Laserdisc days. But since I want the whole dub, not just "most of it," I'm still going to be hunting down the old DVD for a (hopefully) decent price. Later, guys.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

4th Re-watch...this movie never stops being funny.

I just borrowed a copy of this and plan on re-watching it soon. Step Brothers was a movie that I was unimpressed by the first time I saw it and each viewing made my love for it swell . The story behind it is impressive along with the fact it was almost all improv. McKay wanted to make a movie with Reilly and Ferrell in bunk beds.

Welcome to the human race...
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies -

still a better superhero-based meta-comedy than Deadpool 2

Coherence (2013, James Ward Byrkit)

I really, really enjoyed this one a lot. Such a disorienting, dizzying, verbose mindf**k of a movie. Often genuinely creepy but also quite (unintentionally?) hilarious at times. Kept me on the edge of my seat throughout, and the ending did not disappoint.

Often you come across films with a fascinating premise but poorly executed - always a huge letdown when that happens. Although far from perfect (sometimes it feels that the characters just simply talk too much), this one didn't feel like that at all - in fact, I thought it was pretty great, despite its flaws.