The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I thought everything was nominated without knowing who did it, and I would break that spell unfortunately.
I suppose we would all know which one you picked for us, but you wouldn't know who picked what for you. Up to you.

Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/29/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II, nominated by someone who didn't take my advice about what to avoid.
Rewatch: No.

There is a decent mystery thriller buried in here somewhere under all the usual Lynchian bulls*** and the film does feature some pretty great cinematography (which is also typical of the director). Unfortunately "decent" is the highest praise I can give the story and what little good there is was greatly overshadowed by writing that felt like it was the cinematic equivalent of bad erotic fiction penned by someone with no clue about what is sexy, no clue about how real people actually behave, and who thought it would be cool to have a villain that says some version of f**k every other word.

Dennis Hopper does chew up the screen as that villain and does his best to make something out of a character whose only personality trait seems to be his love of using the F word, but the film just mostly fell flat. Aside from being annoyed at Lynch's brand of weirdness, I really didn't feel anything watching this.

I don't mean to offend whoever chose this for me but I am baffled as to why this was your choice. Aside from the obvious reason to avoid it (that being me specifically stating that I don't like Lynch), it doesn't really fit with anything that I said I do like. Kyle MacLachlan, while not unattractive, hardly qualifies as "male eye candy," it's actually fairly light on violence, and it most definitely did not make me cry. I wouldn't quite go so far as to say I hated it, but if me not liking David Lynch movies is a rule, Blue Velvet is definitely not the exception to that rule.

The trick is not minding
I thought everything was nominated without knowing who did it, and I would break that spell unfortunately.
Eh, it’s not necessarily integral to the process as far as I’m concerned, but my pic was just in case you do join so no one else could claim it.

... who thought it would be cool to have a villain that says some version of f**k every other word.
That sounds like something I'd say I'll have to remember that sentence, I might want to reuse it myself someday.

That sounds like something I'd say I'll have to remember that sentence, I might want to reuse it myself someday.
I mean obviously I'm not bothered by profanity, but hearing the same word over and over again got real tiresome real quick.

I mean obviously I'm not bothered by profanity, but hearing the same word over and over again got real tiresome real quick.
Yeah that's cool, though I'm sure if I said that about a movie I'd get some of these

The trick is not minding
Yeah that's cool, though I'm sure if I said that about a movie I'd get some of these
Funny you mention this because thats exactly what happened when I made similar complaints against Wolf of Wall Street. 😆

Funny you mention this because thats exactly what happened when I made similar complaints against Wolf of Wall Street. 😆
I hear ya, I've made similar complaints since joining MoFo about certain movies. Seems the more f bombs, the weaker the written script dialogue is. It can be a writer's trick to cover up for lack of proper vernacular.

To put it in perspective, (according to the IMDb trivia page for Blue Velvet) "f***k" is uttered 56 times - 55 of which were by Dennis Hopper.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
well, F@CK ME

and raul SHOULD join in regardless if we all knew which one he nominated which shouldn't really matter since last time we all spoke up after a review came in on which one of us nominated. It hasn't happened here as of yet

and raul SHOULD join in regardless if we all knew which one he nominated which shouldn't really matter since last time we all spoke up after a review came in on which one of us nominated. It hasn't happened here as of yet
I agree, but totally up to him.

I kind of like that I don't know who picked what, but I really didn't make any effort to conceal my own picks. By my count, 5 of the 11 other participants definitely know which movie I chose for them (granted, one of them is cricket) and a few of the others could easily figure it out if they did a little digging or just made an educated guess.

Sullivan's Travels

John L. Sullivan: There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan.

I do believe this is my second film starring Joel McCrea, the other being Ride the High Country and my first of the charming Veronica Lake outside of a noir film. Both of which doing a very good job at a comedic venture that delves into a Director wanting to make a film about the destitute and the poor, but has never been "in trouble" and decides to play the hobo and find out. And does (of course).
Got a kick out of the movie he wanted to make: "O Brother Where Art Thou?". And I'm guessing so did the Coen Brothers as well.

As I stated previously, I had seen the ending to this, basically the last 30 min about a year ago and at the time I wondered how this was a comedy considering Sullivan had found the trouble he had originally set out to, but, in fact it is a comedy. Not a rip-roaring one, but definitely one that creates a good feeling chuckle and a smile that lasts throughout.
Along with McCrea and Lake there were several supporting actors I've enjoyed and was happy to see. At only an hour and half, there was part of me that wished for a little more but in the end, it really was just right.

A great film with a sentimental story that I am so glad to check off my list from the 40s Countdown.
Thank you so much to whomever nominated this for me!

Uh... hey, @edarsenal

I mean, it's cool that you've already watched and reviewed two movies for this HOF, I guess, but you still need to do that for five of the ones in the 23rd HOF (including the most important one) and there are only like 3 weeks left until the 23rd HOF deadline...

Just sayin'.

Uh... hey, @edarsenal

I mean, it's cool that you've already watched and reviewed two movies for this HOF, I guess, but you still need to do that for five of the ones in the 23rd HOF (including the most important one) and there are only like 3 weeks left until the 23rd HOF deadline...

Just sayin'.
I firmly agree and wanted a couple under my belt before seriously finishing off the 23rd. I'll be watching Banshun tomorrow night and most likely follow up with Christine either Saturday or Monday night.

I firmly agree and wanted a couple under my belt before seriously finishing off the 23rd. I'll be watching Banshun tomorrow night and most likely follow up with Christine either Saturday or Monday night.
It's okay, I just like giving you a hard time.

Also, I'm curious to see what you'll think of The Skin I Live In.

It's okay, I just like giving you a hard time.

Also, I'm curious to see what you'll think of The Skin I Live In.
whatever, bitch
I'm actually tempted to leave that one as the grand finale. Though pretty excited to check it out.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
There's other versions of the Peter Pan story? I've not seen any, but didn't Robin Williams do one called Hook? and there must be more movie versions out there. Any recommendations anyone?

For some reason, most versions of Peter Pan aren't very good. The Disney movie is okay, but it's a bit too childish IMO.

The two worst versions are probably Pan (2015) and Peter Pan Live! (2014). I'd recommend avoiding both of these versions.

Hook (1991) is okay, but not great. It's worth watching, but don't expect too much.

The only version that I'd recommend is Finding Neverland (2004), which is really about J. M. Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan, rather than the Peter Pan story itself.

I am baffled as to why this was your choice. Aside from the obvious reason to avoid it (that being me specifically stating that I don't like Lynch), it doesn't really fit with anything that I said I do like.
I'm guessing the person who chose it either didn't read your director/genre dislikes post, maybe they joined later and didn't back read the entire thread....Or maybe they thought you'd enjoy the sex in the movie. I'm sure they had good intentions. I thought this film might actually click for you when I seen Cricket post it.

Sullivan's Travels

I do believe this is my second film starring Joel McCrea, the other being Ride the High Country and my first of the charming Veronica Lake outside of a noir film. Both of which doing a very good job at a comedic venture that delves into a Director wanting to make a film about the destitute and the poor, but has never been "in trouble" and decides to play the hobo and find out.
Gosh, I'm jealous of your movie choices! Another film I love. I've said this before but Joel McCrea is one actor I can readily identify with, so he's a good inroad for me into the world of the movie.

Veronica Lake! She has lots of charm on screen. Off screen she was considered the worst pita actress to work with. But if you ever watch or read a bio on her you'll know why (not her fault). She's one of my favorites and co starred in several important noirs with Alan Ladd. We need to see more of her films