What are you doing at this very moment?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm absolutely bloody knackered.

My back was so bad last night that I didn't sleep a wink so I spent some time listening to Ricky Hatton get given a boxing lesson by a deeply unpleasant American gentleman, began writing a novel (it'll be ace, trust me!) and wondering quite why people go to church at 7am on a Sunday morning. Is God even up at that time?

Edit - Why the hell did I write "7am in the morning"? I hate people who do that.

It's lack of sleep...

getting ready to take my friend to the airport

Taking a small squirt gun to all the kids already asleep or getting ready to go to sleep and smacking them in the face with water. They were all so shocked, I was all so laughing my arse off.

English degree?

Modernism is probably my favourite period. Pound, Eliot, MacGreevy, etc - top blokes!

My lecturer had a fantastically droopy moustache...

Hey, you too? Fantastic! We can talk in the secret language of literary criticism.

Modernism produced some of the objectively best literature of the past few centuries. Conrad, Elliot (I want Preludes etched on my gravestone) and Joyce being some of the favourites I can recall without sifting through my notes. But I still have a softer spot for the European renaissance, there's something about the vibrancy and life of the period that produced Machiavelli and Hobbes and Marlowe that awes me. I mean, it was the dawn of the modern world as we understand it, the start of the great humanist revolution and so much of that distilled down into the art of the period that you feel intellectually refreshed just by browsing it.

Anyway, I had better get off. Slave Narratives at half one with Doctor Dave. Remind me to beat you up for some dissertation advice next year.

Heh, I graduated in 1994 so am probably about out of the loop in terms of waffling at length about nothing in particular and getting praise for it. Then again, I've built up a fair chunk of rep here so old habits must die hard.

If you're stuck on anything, give me a shout and I'll see if I can dredge up any memory of it. My final two year's modules were (I think) Modernism, Shakespeare, Modern European Lit, Etymology, Victorian Lit, 20th Century Poetry, Middle English and ... ermmm ... something else.

Am supposed to be catching up on some paper work but am checking out MoFo instead...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Heh, I graduated in 1994 so am probably about out of the loop in terms of waffling at length about nothing in particular and getting praise for it. Then again, I've built up a fair chunk of rep here so old habits must die hard.

If you're stuck on anything, give me a shout and I'll see if I can dredge up any memory of it. My final two year's modules were (I think) Modernism, Shakespeare, Modern European Lit, Etymology, Victorian Lit, 20th Century Poetry, Middle English and ... ermmm ... something else.
Ah man, I'd have loved to have been doing university back in 1994. No tuition, grants, spending weekends getting mashed at raves, degrees actually being worth the time invested &c.

Anyway, we don't have any of those on the syllabus anymore. Guess you're going to be as much use to me as an actual Humanities degree is. Nuts.

For those interested: I'm rolling a cigarette, reading Private Eye and trying to decided whether I have a cold or the 'flu. Well, trying to convince myself it's the latter so I can spend the next few days in bed.

Ah man, I'd have loved to have been doing university back in 1994. No tuition, grants, spending weekends getting mashed at raves, degrees actually being worth the time invested &c.
Ha ha! True, that's pretty much what it was like. That I went to Uni in the North West meant that I was in easy distance of a Stone Roses and Happy Mondays infatuated Madchester only added to the fun.

I was way too cool to wear Joe Bloggs jeans, though.

Anyway, we don't have any of those on the syllabus anymore. Guess you're going to be as much use to me as an actual Humanities degree is. Nuts.
If it's any consolation, I spent 18 months after my degree working in dead-end jobs to finance my failed dream of becoming a rock star then knuckled down and did a post grad.

I ended up in the motor trade, so go figure.

Not being a student any more I'm smoking a ready-made cigarette right now and sitting in a room with a clean carpet, no damp and working central heating.

There's still a ton of drink in the fridge, though...

Staring at the Christmas lights, thinking, procrastinating, listening to tunes (currently Society - Eddie Vedder) and listening to the cats fight.

Thanks guys... every once in a while, something happens to jog a memory I've tried to bury...

anyway, right now I'm still on a caffeine high from drinking waaaaay too much coffee last night trying to stay awake...