Worst movie of the year!

Tools    

I cant control my brain.
What movie do you think is the worst for 2007?

personally i think Daddy Day Camp! this is the first movie that has driven me to leave the cinema.

ALSO surfs up, that was bad!
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.

Lost in never never land
In my opinion it is easily: Welcome To The Jungle a film that is 81 minutes longer then it should be, and it is only 82 minutes long. Terrible dialog, poor acting, lousy story (an idea with potential but completely ruined), MTV reality shows have better "fake" real dialog then this film does. A terrible film that is done with a "shaky" cam throughout the whole thing, pretending to be the second coming of The Blair Witch Project only with an attempt at more gore, but ends up being a film that is so bad it isn't even laughably bad.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Happily I no longer subject myself to things I know have little to no chance of being any good. I used to do that, watch just about anything and everything, just so I could know where bottom is. But no more. I may see some of these out and out stinkers when they hit cable TV, or at least watch a piece of them, but I can't stomach sitting through dreck anymore. Certainly not at the theater.

So, while I'm sure flicks such as Norbit, Ghost Rider, Kickin' it Old Skool, Lucky You, Code Name: The Cleaner, BRATZ, Delta Farce, Primeval, Epic Movie, Because I Said So, Hannibal Rising, Good Luck Chuck, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Hot Rod, Shooter, Hostel Part II, The Hills Have Eyes 2, Saw IV, Are We Done Yet?, Firehouse Dog, Evan Almighty, I Know Who Killed Me, The Heartbreak Kid, Daddy Day Camp, Balls of Fury, The Brothers Solomon, The Game Plan, The Comebacks and Southland Tales are all worthy of scorn and ridicule, to paraphrase Jules I wouldn't know 'cause I wouldn't watch the filthy mutherfu*kers. When many of them get Razzie nominations in a few weeks, I'm sure they will be well-earned, but I can't speak from personal experience on the matter, glad to say.

A few stinkers I did manage to see in the bad, totally unfunny and witless comedy department are Wild Hogs (saw this on an airplane), Blades of Glory (rented this one, though I confess I turned it off two-thirds of the way through having not laughed once, even by mistake) and License to Wed (paid to see this in the theater over the summer). Of those the most disappointing by far was License to Wed, because it had a least a glimmer of potential. But still, not the worst movie I saw this year.

Live Free or Die Hard was just dreadful, especially carrying the Die Hard brand name. I suppose as a preposterous would-be action movie it's just on the bad side of average, but that they dragged the John McClane name through the mud and tricked me into seeing it because of faith in the franchise makes it exponentially worse, and even a minor sin (cinematically speaking).

But the absolute worst movie I had the displeasure of seeing...

The Kingdom. Racist and ridiculous, cheap and insulting, making trite out of serious and complicated issues...concluding with a seemingly tacked-on cliché, hacky action finale that was not only totally unbelievable but also the worst possible message to send about the state of the world, either as a popular artists or as a human being. Just a total waste of time and talent. I saw this for free at an advanced screening over a month before it was released, and I almost demanded my money back it was so infuriating. Much more than the loss of time, it's the kind of bad movie that actually made me angry and want to beat up the screenwriter (Matthew Michael Carnahan) and director (Peter Berg). I hate this movie for the ugly sentiment it is underlining and that it attempted to market to the mainstream.

As tedious, obnoxious and totally unentertaining as BRATZ or Norbit surely are, I doubt they're in the same kind of league as The Kingdom.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The only stinker I've seen was Ghost Rider... thankfully only on DVD...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I completely agree. A movie is bad if it's written, directed or acted badly, but it's terrible if it tries to talk about serious political or ethical issues in a patronizing way, or if it trivializes them. The worst kind of film is the one which, other than those things, also sends morally corrupt messages, like Get Rich or Die Tryin’, Fiddy’s attempt at acting from a few years ago. Other than being terrible, it also tells you that it’s good to be a criminal.

My year at the movies wasn’t too terrible because, frankly, I haven’t seen too many new releases. Unfortunately, I didn’t listen to that little voice in my head telling me: “Remember, remember, the Spider-Man 2”, and that’s why I had to endure a 48 minute long Tobey Maguire dancing routine. Okay, it wasn’t that long, but Spider-Man 3 was definitely a long and terrible torture, at least for me.

Also, a movie which transcended badness because it also managed to ruin a great character was Hannibal Rising. Not only was it not scary, gory, or entertaining, but it also tried to make Hannibal a likable character. It completely simplified his motives and ruined what I liked about Hannibal: his coldness, monstrosity and an aura of mistery. Why does he eat people? Someone ate his sister.
Oh yeah, and he is also a ninja.

spidey 3 kinda sucks hard

Not to beat a dead horse, but the only truly awful movie I've subjected myself to this year has been Resident Evil: Extinction. I have a soft-spot for the 'original' and the games so I was drawn back to the series, despite the fact Apocalypse is one of the only movies I've ever walked out of.

It doesn't help that it kept referencing other, far superior movies. It's one thing to sit through a total dog of a movie, it's quite another when you're being constantly reminded of what you could be watching.

Wild Hogs (saw this on an airplane) . . .
Trapped on a plane with Wild Hogs is the world's best argument for an FAA mandate forcing airlines to supply passengers with parachutes. I've had a couple of experiences not quite that awful, being trapped on a trans-Atlantic flight with The Fisher King (even if you don't buy the ear-phones, you keep looking up occasionally at the screen like passing a really bad car wreck) and on another occasion with the humpteenth remake of The Four Feathers, this one staring one of Lloyd Bridges' kids as I recall.

Even worse, I once was on a charter bus to Louisiana where the driver insisted on playing Notting Hill with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant. For weeks I had recurring nightmares of being pursued by gators, sharks, and other ugly creatures with big mouths while a little pixie fellow with a British accent kept flitting about, bumping into things, while repeating, "Sorry! Sorry! So sorry, but there's nothing I can do about it."

A system of cells interlinked
TI've had a couple of experiences not quite that awful, being trapped on a trans-Atlantic flight with The Fisher King (even if you don't buy the ear-phones, you keep looking up occasionally at the screen like passing a really bad car wreck)...

The Fisher King isn't a good movie, it's a GREAT movie. Williams walks the fine line between outrageous comedy and tragic drama brilliantly. Bridges is perfect as the shock jock, and Gilliam nails the allegory; his attention to detail and clever transitions make the pieces fit together wonderfully.

Not a Gilliam fan, eh Ruf? The Fisher King is one of may favorite films of the 90s, and is worth the price of admission for the elegant and poignant train station sequence alone...

Lost in never never land
The Fisher King isn't a good movie, it's a GREAT movie. Williams walks the fine line between outrageous comedy and tragic drama brilliantly. Bridges is perfect as the shock jock, and Gilliam nails the allegory; his attention to detail and clever transitions make the pieces fit together wonderfully.

Not a Gilliam fan, eh Ruf? The Fisher King is one of may favorite films of the 90s, and is worth the price of admission for the elegant and poignant train station sequence alone...
I got to agree with Sedai here, this is a great film, definitely one that I highly recommend, I don't really know if there was anything in it that I felt was too wrong or tacky or poorly done about it. All around an extremely solid film with some great scenes like on in Grand Central Station that just needs to be seen.

Has nothing to do with Gilliam--I just can't stand Robin Williams. There are some actors who affect me that way--Robin Williams and Julia Roberts, to name two. It must be something about Williams' looks--the only one of his movies that I could even stand, much less like was the Disney cartoon Aladdin where he's the cartoon genie. His voice was very distinctive and even funny in that film, so it must be something about the way he looks. Sorry, it's just a green eggs and ham sort of thing--no rhyme or reason, I just don't like him, Sam-I-Am.

There is one non-cartoon film in which Williams was featured that actually was pretty good--The Birdcage. Nathan Lane and Hank Azaria were so off-the-wall in that film that they made Williams seem relatively conservative and definitely upstaged. So it seems I can tolerate him as a cartoon or a supporting player but not as the focal point of the film. Still, I liked the orginal French play and movie better than the US remake.

Holden Pike - absolute nonsense. I respect your right to have an opinion but your opinion in and of itself is ridiculous. Lets examine your thoughts on Die Hard 4. You called it a proposterous would be action movie... well it was an action movie and it had proposterous action in it so... would it be an action movie or wouldn't it be? Also, i don't know what other Die Hards you've seen but im pretty sure they all had proposterous action in them as well. And... this one had good effects good acting and a decent story... so you are wrong. As for the kingdom you having a problem with the themes and it being a terrible movie are two completely different things. I don't think murdering ones family and suicide are good themes but i did like the mist as a movie. The kingdom was well acted and a once again a decent story with some originality. Most people who didn't like the kingdom are frustrated with the fact that it doesnt have an anti-american slant much like other films dealing with middle eastern violence. You wouldn't be that guy would you? For those without an urge to bolster their self-esteem by actively degrading good movies instead of bad ones please consider watching Die Hard 4 and the Kingdom, both decently good movies worthy of your consideration!

My life isn't written very well.
Oh no he din't!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Has nothing to do with Gilliam--I just can't stand Robin Williams.

Fair enough. I feel that way about the dude on CSI. Yeah, this guy:

Holden Pike - absolute nonsense. I respect your right to have an opinion but your opinion in and of itself is ridiculous. . . so you are wrong.
No, Pike is right in his opinion. And so are you, because an opinion is just a personal point of view. Your opinion can be positive or negative, but it's never right or wrong because it's your opinion, so it's always right for you.

To say you respect Pike's opinion and then trashing his opinion as ridicuous, nonsense, and wrong says you really don't respect other people's opinions at all unless they agree with your own. Pike listed the reasons on which his negative opinion is based. You, however, do not give reasons for your positive opinion; you just dump on Pike because he didn't like a movie that you like.

Most people who didn't like the kingdom are frustrated with the fact that it doesnt have an anti-american slant much like other films dealing with middle eastern violence.
Really? Do you have statistics to back up this claim about what "most people" like or dislike and the reasons why? Have you conducted a scientific survey, found published statistics that support this claim, or are you simply making a broad and rash statement based on personal opinion and not facts?

I've never understood the propensity of some people in this forum to hit the ceiling whenever anyone dislikes or even just disregards a movie that is that person's favorite. Lawd, one would think some of you were getting a percentage of the ticket sales! They are only movies, only actors and directors. We like some and dislike others. And if there were no differences of opinions, no one would ever tune in those annual programs to see who gets an Oscar.

rufnek... are you also trying to be smart? The thread is about the worst movie of the year and not whether or not we liked or disliked it. Also i never said i respected his opinion. Also, neither of these movies are my favorites by any means. It was proposterous for him to suggest that these films warrant worst movie of the year honors and thus i posted a reply. I was not giving nor did i need to give evidence for why the movies were good but i was giving evidence of why they weren't the worst of the year.

Die Hard 4 - 7 out of 10
reasons: Decently good acting, great action, great effects, decent story, felt like part of the series

Kingdom - 5.5 out of 10
reasons: Better than decent acting, original story, feelings of international unity achieved

For those without an urge to bolster their self-esteem by actively degrading good movies instead of bad ones please consider watching Die Hard 4 and the Kingdom, both decently good movies worthy of your consideration!
Good one! No, really. What are you on about again? I love it when people attempt to find some sort character flaw in a person when they disagree on a film. Hold on, let me check something. Hmmmm, seems like Holden managed to express an opinion on these films without involving you in his post. Your post, however, is rife with Ad Hominem, and offers nothing in the way of clear insight into the films being discussed.

Crashbarbarian: 0
Holden: 1

Anyway, back on topic please, as you didn't actually manage to list your choice for the worst film of the year. Give it another try, this time without launching into some tirade against one of this sites oldest and most well-respected members.

Thanks

The Staff

rufnek... are you also trying to be smart? The thread is about the worst movie of the year and not whether or not we liked or disliked it.
First off, Ruf IS smart, as many people on this site will attest. Secondly, you point out the topic of the thread, and yet you fail to stay on topic, instead slinging thinly veiled insults around at veteran members. Also, I think stating why a person didn't like the film sort of comes with the territory when listing films we think are the worst of the year. I mean, I guess we could just say:

Live Free or Die Hard

...and leave the thread, but that wouldn't be much in the way of discussion.

Thanks for the "help" attempting to moderate this thread, but, we have a full staff, so, no thanks.