This green and glowing land

Tools    

So, that's in then. To the suprise of no-one the Government's Energy Review has proclaimed Nuclear Energy to be the saviour of our soot-choked earth.

Which is nice, because that's what the Government wanted it to decide. I love it when joined-up government works.

So, Britain'll be building an unspecified number of nuclear power plants in unspecified locations at an unspecified date, which is unusually precise information for an administration that usually issues white papers with policies like "people who are bad should be punished" and "it might be nice if fewer pensioners died of starvation".

I'm not particularly anti-nuclear. There's a lot in its favour, after all. It's reliable, clean and, at the actual point of electricity generation, carbon neutral. It also guarantees "energy security" (That's government-speak for "we really don't like dealing with OPEC"), seeing as the countries rich with uranium deposits tend to be warm, fuzzy liberal democracies with relatively good records for not stoning people to death. Well, except Khazakhstan who aren't as fluffy, but seeing as they control 25% of the world's known uranium we probably won't be seeing outright condemnation of them anytime soon.

But, there are problems. Uranium, like oil, is a finite resource. Even the most vehemently optimistic studies suggest there's only around a century's worth of the stuff lying around, and that's at today's consumption rate. If every country feeling the energy squeeze decides to go nuclear we could see that cut to a half or less. This is a two-fold nasty, really. Firstly it only passes our problems on to the next generation (and we've all seen how well that works), secondly it leaves nuclear-dependent countries with a lot of useless, expensive hunks of concrete and steel lying about that'll require a second national mortgage to properly decomission. There are ways to aquire uranium that don't require ripping up vast tracts of Australia. But they're either untested or prohibitively expensive, expensive in the we-may-as-well-burn-faberge-eggs-to-keep-warm sense.

The second problem is a social one. On the opposite page of the Guardian that covered the Energy Review was a story about the unpopularity of physics at degree level. I did a little research and discovered, yes, there's a serious shortfall in the number of physicists throughout the west.

Um.

So we're relying on nuclear power for the next century's energy needs, but we don't have enough physicists? That's sort of like deciding to serve roast dodo at a dinner party. It's not all bad, though. We're knee-deep in design students so, while our atom mills might have an annoying tendency to explode, they will be tastefully decorated. Nothing takes the edge off nuclear annihilation like scatter cushions and pastel drapes.

Thinking of being reduced to a shadow burned into a brick wall, that's my third point. Nuclear power is not risk free. I have an aunt who lives inside the Sizewell B Red Zone (that's the area around a plant with very, very low property prices) who got issued an emergency manual by the government. In case of "critical control failure" those in the orange zone should attempt to make their way to outside the yellow zone. There are no tips for those inside the red zone, just a couple of psalms and the Lord's prayer. I realize that the actual risk of a meltdown is very low outside my favourite videogame (Sim City, booyah), but it's still precisely the sort of thing that's going to keep me awake at night. In the modern world there are a lot of people trying to kill me; terrorists, nutty cults and slighted design students to name a few. Exactly the sort of people insane or stupid enough to take it upon themselves to turn the whole of southern England into one great big Red Zone. Factor that with human error, technical breakdown and the vagaries of the private sector and you've got a nice recipe for Oh God We're Doomed.

So, what's the alternative? Fossil Fuels'll get us in the long run anyway, renewable energy is a bit of a non-starter in terms of ever being more than a top-up to our core supply and theoretical technologies are, well, theoretical. The hydrogen economy's a nice idea, but it's just too utopian to work in the real world. If it ever gets off the ground technically, it'll be banned because some kid'll use his family's fuel cell to blow up his school.

First person to solve the global energy crisis wins a lollipop and assassination by the Ford Motor Company.

Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
First person to solve the global energy crisis wins a lollipop and assassination by the Ford Motor Company.
Certainly Solar power has to play a part, I mean if we do not have it anyway we are screwed. Water and the sun are the answer, they are both abundant on Earth. Arent they?

Originally Posted by 7thson
Certainly Solar power has to play a part, I mean if we do not have it anyway we are screwed. Water and the sun are the answer, they are both abundant on Earth. Arent they?
In Britain, the water more so than the sun. The problem with renewables is they're extremely unreliable. The sun can only provide so many hours of energy, even in the deserts it's going to fail to meet our demands after dusk and before dawn. Wind's even worse. Market capitalism dictates that needs must be met whenever they arise. Short of total social revolution, nothing's going to stop the people who like the lights to come on when they click the switch from using less eco-friendly options. There's also the issue of raw wattage, even the most efficient photo-voltaic cells don't put out enough energy to be viable and an acre of wind-farms will barely fill the average energy needs of a single street during a hurricane.

Renewables have a place in the energy food chain, sadly it's rather near the bottom. They might be made viable if there was the political or economic will to fund research into improving them, but there isn't at the moment.

www.forumninja.com
Excellent post. I agree with all of your observations. Perhaps I'm too much of an optimist, but I believe that the hydrogen economy--and a safe one at that-- is closer than it seems. Although that might seem far-fetched, I believe this will be the instance due to war, sadly.

there's a frog in my snake oil
So, that's in then. To the suprise of no-one the Government's Energy Review has proclaimed Nuclear Energy to be the saviour of our soot-choked earth.
Heh, almost as surprising as the conclusions of the waste disposal review... ["With a gestation period longer than an elephant, it has delivered a mouse,"]

Originally Posted by Lock
So we're relying on nuclear power for the next century's energy needs, but we don't have enough physicists?
Ay. Looks like we'll be getting our expertise from France, and probably consulting Sweden on decent ways to actually dispose of the waste.

I'm still for nuke as a short-term fix tho. But it definitely doesn't follow the preferred path of developing local expertise and 'sustainable' technologies (which'll help keep us 'afloat' as the developing nations rise - and hopefully be something those guys can be persuaded to buy).

So, what's the alternative? Fossil Fuels'll get us in the long run anyway,
Most probably - so all the more reason to endorse the 'clean-coal' tech, for what little good it does - and checking whether sequestration is really 'air tight'. Just to give us a bit of breathing space. (Ugh - too many almost-puns )

renewable energy is a bit of a non-starter in terms of ever being more than a top-up to our core supply and theoretical technologies are, well, theoretical.
Yeah, pretty much. At least for the foreseeable future. We can probably hope for something more like 50% tho (in an ideal world ) - with 25% coming from microgeneration at home - and the rest taken up by bigger projects. With energy-efficiency efforts (and price pressures) hopefully keeping consumption rates from rocketing, the Western world could possibly hold up its end of the 'bargain'.

Lord knows tho, the current UK incentives, building strategies and wind-farm-on-peat-bogs fandangos are hardly 'efficient' examples of how to get this stuff done.

Nevermind. Here's some fairly-recent bright points (just for the fun of it ):

The hydrogen economy's a nice idea, but it's just too utopian to work in the real world. If it ever gets off the ground technically, it'll be banned because some kid'll use his family's fuel cell to blow up his school.
Explosiveness is a prob? Better ban nuclear too then

To be fair, hydrogen seems like the only way to deal with the transport-side of our energy requirements. Biofuels seem like an idiotic solution comparatively, what with the food/water pressures liable to increase, and all that.

Randomly visiting for now
There are ways to aquire uranium that don't require ripping up vast tracts of Australia.
Yes please don't go ripping up our lands! New Zealand I've told you a hundred times we need all of our uranium!!.......so our lovely landscape isn't ruined

Nuclear power is an option but not a long term one. I personally think the hydrogen based power system is best. Wind actually works quite well here Lockheed. You argue it's inconsistent but in some places it's windy all the time, especially over certain open areas of Australia but they just don't provide enough power to warrant their building. Solar is too expensive too. Maybe if we actually spent some decent amounts of money in researching this area then we'd get somewhere instead of making sure we have the latest military technology, but I guess that's the world we live in........at the moment.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by SpoOky
Maybe if we actually spent some decent amounts of money in researching this area then we'd get somewhere...
Another annoying factor on the funding/incentives/R&D front is that most governments don't seem to be giving industry clear enough guidelines on where the incentives/future-sanctions lie. (Given that industries are normally better than governments at implementing long-term change - and that many seem willing to change - that's annoying).

But not to worry. You guys are getting the power tower. Weee. (Is that the sound off money being pissed away? I don't know. At least if it works, your govn won't feel the need to use all of your coal. Maybe )