Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Black Narcissus - 5/10
I have to ask, why so low? I'm not a fan of the film, so this isn't a criticism, but I am surprised by that score from you.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have to ask, why so low? I'm not a fan of the film, so this isn't a criticism, but I am surprised by that score from you.
I couldn't wait til it was over, just like "The Innocents" (I thought I recognized Deborah Kerr). Kinda empty, that there wasn't much in it that I could criticize. I tried watching it a year ago, and turned it off after 20 minutes.

Just because the subject matter of a movie is based on historically important events, it doesn't follow that the film making its self is any good. First Man takes real events that were rich in human drama and excitement and reduces them to a new level of shaky cam blandness.

First Man was directed, shot and written like a lower budget Showtime made for TV movie. The film making style jumps between hyper action shots done with tight close ups and overcooked sound editing, which then made it hard to know what was going on...despite the fact I already knew what was going on. I never felt any tension or realism during the action space scenes and that's a pity.

Then the movie's other filming shot trick was to do the quiet moments at home where nothing goes on, because it's amateurish filmed like someone went to another someone's house with their mobile phone and filmed people in 1960s garb doing much of nothing. Some connection to the people in the film would have been nice!. The characters come off as store front mannequins...what a poor script and poorly filmed. I wanted to shut this off after only 10 minutes...BUT...I stuck out the entire 2 hours 20 minutes of this boring retelling of one of 20th centuries most important moments.

Don't believe me watch First Man back to back with Apollo 13 (1995) and you'll see what I mean.

I’m gonna watch it since I’m a huge fan of Gosling, but I’m aware of the lackluster reviews. Apollo 13 was a brilliant movie then & now.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★

★★★
How the hell Clint managed to show hot naked womans with lots of zooms on their butts without getting rage from the politically correct womans super powerful?

★★★
Somebody still takes the Oscar seriously??

★★★★
The great Samuel Fuller!

★★
It looks like a comedy movie sometimes.

Double Cheesy:

★★★
Over the top action — The real Snakes on a Plane (haha).
Hats off to the soundtrack.

★★
Green Sally up and green Sally down
Lift and squat, gotta tear the ground

This might just do nobody any good.
Cool, I had pretty much a completely opposite reaction to First Man. I think it’s technically brilliant, riveting and was absolutely worth seeing in theaters. I’ve also found it to be a unique antithesis to Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody, in regards to the controversies sorrounding those latter twos for their supposedly maligned representations of historical figures. In First Man I found a solemnity that’s rare in cinematic recountings of historical journeys paved with loss. It’s essentially using its dire depictions of the failures that preceded the Apollo 11 mission, the cost in lives, to earn itself a bit of historical speculation regarding Armstrong’s own stake in the mission’s success (which is apparently not all that speculative at all.)

It’s, in my mind, actually quite daring in its reframing of a defining human moment as a intimate act of remembrance.

[First Man]...I’m gonna watch it since I’m a huge fan of Gosling, but I’m aware of the lackluster reviews. Apollo 13 was a brilliant movie then & now.
I'm a big fan of Gosling too. I will say he was a good choice for Neil Armstrong based on what I know of the real Armstrong, but the script didn't give him or Claire Foy (the Queen) many chances to shine.

... I think it’s technically brilliant, riveting and was absolutely worth seeing in theaters.
I could see that a theater experience with a huge screen would be more impactful, especially the space and moon scenes. The moon scene looked good, even on my small screen, I'll give it that much. But I'd say it's like Gravity in that on the home TV it loses much eyeball appeal and not much in the script department.

I’ve also found it to be a unique antithesis to Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody, in regards to the controversies sorrounding those latter twos for their supposedly maligned representations of historical figures.
I'll be watching those soon, and I'll try to post my thoughts on them.

If you haven't seen the aforementioned Apollo 13 I highly recommend it, as well as the superb From the Earth to the Moon (TV Mini-Series 1998) Anyone see that?

1st Re-watch....I actually enjoyed it a little more than I did the first time, but the film still waffles too much between a sequel and a remake to be completely satisfactory...Emily Blunt is sublime.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

First Man was directed, shot and written like a lower budget Showtime made for TV movie.

Time to bump this up in my que.

1st Re-watch....I actually enjoyed it a little more than I did the first time, but the film still waffles too much between a sequel and a remake to be completely satisfactory...Emily Blunt is sublime.

I watched this with the quine (a lover of the original) and the boy. Me and the boy struggled through....I agree Emily Blunt was great in her part but it didn't ring true for me. And it tried. Not marking it as I probably need a rewatch like you Gideon58.

I, too, thought that First Man was rather brilliant technically. The story was a bit more interesting than I thought but definitely not the strongest aspect of the film despite a few good moments. Gosling was good imo. But yeah, technically is where it shined imo.

Oh, AND I loved that it didn’t glorify the flag placement on the moon and all that like some holy thing. I liked how the story about the man was more important. I mean, it’s called First Man and is a biopic if Armstrong and with a story rooted in his life and his dilemmas. People also just sometimes forget the human aspect behind placing that flag there. Most dumb Americans just wanna are an epic slow-no shot of Armstrong placing the flag to some epic Hans Zimmer-ish music. Yay patriotism! I’m glad Chazelle didn’t go in that route....